Alphonsin

Alphonsin's Broadsheet 13

Okey doke, it'll work something like this.

You choose 13 candidates.

Points are awarded not by reference to the age of a hit, nor cause of demise etc -- instead, simply by the combined number of words their death prompts in the obits pages of The Times, The Telegraph, The Guardian and The Independent.

And that's pretty much it.

Clearly I need to flesh out the details -- such as that it'll go by the print edition of each paper, rather than online; editorial remembrance of a hit will not be counted along with the obit proper; headlines, straplines etc won't be counted; etc, etc -- but I thought I'd mention it now to give anybody interested in entering some time to think about. It'll start on Jan 1, before which time I'll sort out a website etc etc.

If people are interested in the idea, I think it'd be fun to inject a cash element. Players can choose whether or not to indulge in this element of the game, but will be invited to pay £13 into a prize pool. That pool will then be divided up among the cash-subscribing winners at the end of the year [perhaps 50% for 1st place; 30% for 2nd; 20% for 3rd etc -- depending how many people decide to play it could be structured less steeply, paying out the top ten or whatever]... Oops, I'm not wanting to get sucked into details just this second.

So anyhow, that's the idea. A deadpool based on obit wordcounts. A cash element for those that would like that, but which won't exclude those people who want to play just for kicks.

Any thoughts appreciated. If the idea gets at least a luke warm response, I'll get cracking with putting things together.

I'm not too hip on the money part, but I like the idea of the wordcount. January 1 is a little close at this point, though.

I'm not too hip on the money part

Indeed, I'm aware some people won't be, hence the optional nature. In the past I've worked in connection with gambling -- I think it's a fun thing, but it's not something I feel comfortable coercing people into.

, but I like the idea of the wordcount. January 1 is a little close at this point, though.

Yes, it's soon. I think though that it'd be a shame not to go with a calendar year.

It gives people something to do on Boxing Day as well. Oh, I forgot, you guys work on the 26th... -_-

I'm not too hip on the money part

Indeed, I'm aware some people won't be, hence the optional nature. In the past I've worked in connection with gambling -- I think it's a fun thing, but it's not something I feel comfortable coercing people into.

, but I like the idea of the wordcount. January 1 is a little close at this point, though.

Yes, it's soon. I think though that it'd be a shame not to go with a calendar year.

It gives people something to do on Boxing Day as well. Oh, I forgot, you guys work on the 26th... ;)

Actually, I'll be sitting in a hospital finalizing my lists. My son is having surgery on the 26th.

You know what might be interesting. Start a pool that works points on the longest obit on the last day of the shortest month of the year.

I like it although probably won't do the cash part for the sake of anonymity. But if it's not online obits how will you do the word count? It's a bit much to just count the words in print every time isn't it?

I like it although probably won't do the cash part for the sake of anonymity. But if it's not online obits how will you do the word count? It's a bit much to just count the words in print every time isn't it?

Would it not be better to chose the most considered on-line obit site say The Telegraph or The Guardian and simply do a cut and paste into a word document and then read off how many words the automatic word counter at the bottom of the document comes back with?

With www.telegraph.co.uk, its only taken me a few minutes to get this method producing points tallies for Barbera (1,285), Regazzoni (765) & Niyazov (1,449). Much easier that actually counting each word!

I like the concept a lot. I'd echo what Godot and RA say about going for the on-line version, which of course everyone in the world will be able to access from their computers, as opposed to having to pop to the corner shop and pick up all 4 papers (which could pose a challenge for DL members based in places where they don't have major British newspapers, like New Zealand, or Texas, or Morecambe), then do an individual word count. And how about a bonus point for every typo in the Guardian article?

Given a lot of DL'ers' access to the site will likely be reduced or non-existent over the coming ten days, I'd suggest an e.g. 1 Feb start date.

Otherwise, three cheers for AB13.

This is a great idea, kinda like a DL for purists. I'm deffo putting in a team but one problem suggests itself with the original outline. The whole thing could be skewed by an assassination. No bad thing in itself if a skilful player had picked Bush or Blair and then saw them blasted to kingdom come soon in the year they'd cream it with the ensuing points frenzy. Every could and that....

But if the scoring relates to major paper coverage how do you separate out the wordage relating to the person from the press coverage that would deal with the wider issues, like security issues, the funeral, the political aftermath etc? If the coverage is dealing with on-going issues then - it could be argued - it ISN'T 'editorial rememberance' so it counts. In other words, there's a danger at present that if someone killed George W on January 1st the contest could be over before it began.

And summat else - I'm getting into this now - would Lord Lucan be an acceptable candidate? Just turned 72 if he's still alive. If he died and - subsequently - the story of his escape and new life emerged he'd get a few column inches.

This is a great idea, kinda like a DL for purists. MPFC missing the point again blah blah

It's just the obit pages only, MPFC. You know the bit in the paper which is entitled Obituaries ;)

Actually, here's a link to such a page for your usage.A broadsheet obituaries page

Read the first post again. ;)

I'm not entering, by the way, as I vowed to myself to only enter two DP's maximum in 2007. Nice twist on the idea, though & good luck to both runner & riders.

Haven't totally missed the point mind, still is DL for purists. So - for example - if lotto Chav Michael Carrol got himself on the end of a bad hit of crack The Times would give him short shrift at best whilst the Daily Star would find his most recent shag and give her three pages titled; 'I Thought He'd Love Me Forever' or summat.

The winners here will be celebrities who'd have been been 'eminent persons' in the days before we had celeb culture. Your knowledge of aged motor sports stars might be worth a few points OoO.

So we're looking for old folks who've done a lot, then. Pope Benedict, Charlton Heston.....

With www.telegraph.co.uk, its only taken me a few minutes to get this method producing points tallies for Barbera (1,285), Regazzoni (765) & Niyazov (1,449). Much easier that actually counting each word!

I was going to let this one go but changed my mind...

We know how the word count option on 'word' and 'works' works!

Besides, Barbera deserves more words than Niyazov - I've actually heard of Barbera.

I have a headache now and it's all your fault!

Haven't totally missed the point mind, still is DL for purists.

The winners here will be celebrities who'd have been been 'eminent persons' in the days before we had celeb culture. Your knowledge of aged motor sports stars might be worth a few points OoO.

Well, no Jozzie Grove or Piergiorgio Welby here, for sure.

Essentially though, it's anyone who'll get an obit in all four, and that's really anyone famous - and I mean famous in that mostly everyone knows who they are. Royalty/Politics especially, and even more so in the UK. So, even though I don't think they're likely to die next year, Michael Foot or Jeremy Thorpe.

The other trick to play as a player is, of course, one of their own. Newspapers always gush about their own. Therefore Bill Deedes would be a good candidate, for example.

Not so sure elderly racing drivers would be any good. I know the Telegraph motor racing obits fellow (DCN), but unless it's someone like Regazzoni, The Times & the Independent will give them one of the "In Brief" notices or not at all. Having said that, Major Tony Rolt MM is famous enough for an obit in all four.

Re one of their own: Yes newspapers do give their own an obit, but mostly quite modest. Deedes will be a big one. It's ones like Thorpe to watch out for. Also biggies from the arts like Lucien Freud, David Hockney, Pinter. Any Royalty will score highly. Duchess of Devonshire as the last of the Mitfords. Pavarotti. That sort of thing.

Glad to see the idea's garnered some interest.

OK, it'll be a February 1 start.

Will address some of the other issues in a day or two -- when I'm not completely groggy after a big work do as I am this morning.

Meanwhile, warm Christmas greetings to everybody and, if I'm not on the forum before, have a happy new year.

[And, yes, have a happy new year even if I am on the forum before...]

I won't be entering this one.

It sounds too high class for the likes of me. Broadsheet 13...

Plus the money thing. I'm not entirely sure whether or not I trust you. Word has it you are a journalist.

Would it not be better to chose the most considered on-line obit site say The Telegraph or The Guardian and simply do a cut and paste into a word document and then read off how many words the automatic word counter at the bottom of the document comes back with?

Tell you what Ali. Seeing as you're full of ideas on how people should run their dead pools, why don't you organise one yourself.

I won't be entering this one.

It sounds too high class for the likes of me. Broadsheet 13...

Plus the money thing. I'm not entirely sure whether or not I trust you. Word has it you are a journalist.

Windsor you get to sound more like Frazer on Dad's Army every day.

Will address some of the other issues in a day or two -- when I'm not completely groggy after a big work do as I am this morning.

Meanwhile, warm Christmas greetings to everybody and, if I'm not on the forum before, have a happy new year.

[And, yes, have a happy new year even if I am on the forum before...]

Hooray! I'm looking forward to it!

think think think think think think

Yeah me too, think I'll gan' brave on the team - like healthy but worth shed loads of words if they die - and wimp out where the cash is concerned. I mean, both Harry and Wills are in the armed forces, can't be too careful with all them friendly fire deaths eh?

Tell you what Ali. Seeing as you're full of ideas on how people should run their dead pools, why don't you organise one yourself.

<------ Far too lazy to do such a thing! However I do like to be as helpfull with ideas as I can. Also, I'm no expert on setting up web sites and still believe is a-kin to a black magic sort of thing. Now if I were to have more time on my hands I would, but with too many things on the go right now its not a next year sort of thing. In fact I was much more set on having a get-together / conference to produce a better Deathlist 50 name picking session. However, with little interest from the admin staff saying if it would make any difference even that idea went by the wayside some time ago.

In fact I was much more set on having a get-together / conference to produce a better Deathlist 50 name picking session. However, with little interest from the admin staff saying if it would make any difference even that idea went by the wayside some time ago.

Merry Christmas, Rotten Ali!

Anyway back to business. You are a smug git. I hope that in 2007 death will not come your way!

Alphonsin; since I've heard a rumour or two suggesting that the start of 2007 might be marked by people announcing that - on the evidence gathered in 2006 Osama Bin Laden is dead, might be worth considering some definining of the rules in this direction. I may well pick OBL if he's lacking proof of death by the 2st of Feb. Assuming - of course - oru scores are calculated strictly on obit inches in 2007. On the other hand, if OBL, Lord Lucan or anyone else missing in action were suddenly news in this way would you have a rule stating the death itself had to take place in the time window for your DP?

Who cares about the money : here's my top 10

1. Shamir

2 . Hussein ( Saddam ) - does January count ?

3 . Mubbarrak

4 . Pavarotti

5 . Keith ( indestructable ) Richards .

6 . Prince Philip - a dead cert .

7 . Fabier Alonso - ( those things ain't safe ) .

8 . Ian Paisley .

9 . Helmut Schmidt .

10 . The Ven Ronald Scruby .

Futile

This one seems to be a non-starter? Or is Alphonsin too busy?

Even though I wasn't going to take part, it would've been interesting to see the selections.