Rotten Ali

2007 Deathlist picks

OK - it isn't "our" list. It's "their" list - Grim Reaper and Cowboy Ronnie and whomever the hell else is on the DLCC. "We" don't have any particular perogative to determine who should be on the list. The fact that we are allowed to participate peripherally is a privelege, not an invitation to membership.

GR and CR et al will put their list together as they see fit as the rest of us will also do our own lists. We will then all get together here and commiserate all year.

It will still be their list.

I concur wholeheartedly and in full.

If only more Texans were capable of rational, logical thought, the world could be an immeasurably nicer place to live. CarolAnn for President in 2008?

While I appreciate the sentiment and bask in the glow of someone appreciating how my mind works, I have only one thing to say......

Hell, no! :lol:

By the way Ali, which Greg Page is that on your list? Boxer or Wiggle?

Didn't know there were two famous ill people called Greg Page? Wow!

Now, I could keep mum and watch both of them, or I could tell you which one I was really thinking about!

....But really it was the boxer I had in mind.

31st January and all still alive :banghead:

Does anyone know the latest date for a "first hit" in previous years?

According to the 'Death - Line' in 2004 and 2003 there wasn't any hits untill March. Deathlist has recorded 23 career hits that month. The most ever.

Nearly half-way through Feb with many celebs successfully throwing sevens since day 1 of 2007, and yet the Deathlist has missed them all.....

What's going on?

Nearly half-way through Feb with many celebs successfully throwing sevens since day 1 of 2007, and yet the Deathlist has missed them all.....

What's going on?

Well obviously no-one on the list has died.

The one's that have died, were not on the list.

Hardly rocket science.

Here we go again! Did anyone have 13th Feb in the sweep as the date of the first "what a crap list, how come no-one's died yet?" post?

Last year was a steady start, but for a while it seemed it was going to be poor year.

Then a spree of deaths and 2006 proved to be the second best ever...

You can't really judge till the end of the year...

As we wait with baited breath the tension rises with each passing day, the question being who and when?

As we wait with baited breath the tension rises with each passing day, the question being who and when?

Got maggots stuck in your teeth?

Apart from two or three dodgy choices (in my opinion) I think it looks a pretty good list this year and I think it will beat last year's and possibly the record. There's a lot of dying to be done yet. Of course Blartman you would have picked Ian Richardson I guess.

I don't think that very many really famous people have died in the past six weeks. But they will. I reckon we'll have a big film star, Charlton Heston perhaps, just before the Oscars. They know that timing their death well will get them some memorial applause and a communal hankie parp. These things matter to the luvvies.

I think there were 4 that we should have had on the list, Sidney Sheldon, Art Buchwald and Robert Anton Wilson, Magnus Magnusson. But on the whole I think this year's one is quite good. Apart from Frankie Laine, and Ian Richardson there haven't been many others that could really qualify for DL.

I wish I never mentioned Tim Johnson as I feel that the spot he's taking up should have gone to someone more likely to go.

I think there were 4 that we should have had on the list, Sidney Sheldon, Art Buchwald and Robert Anton Wilson, Magnus Magnusson. But on the whole I think this year's one is quite good. Apart from Frankie Laine, and Ian Richardson there haven't been many others that could really qualify for DL.

I wish I never mentioned Tim Johnson as I feel that the spot he's taking up should have gone to someone more likely to go.

Even out of those, RAW probably wouldn't meet the fame standards (then again, if Ruby Muhammad does...) and Art Buchwald seemed to be doing alright, so it was understandable that he was left out. Also, there wasn't much talk about Sheldon for him to be noticed, really more of just a mention.

I wholeheartedly agree with the MIB. As I said in the other thread, in our record year, we didn't have a hit until March!

Personally I don't really think anybody that famous had died besides Anna Nicole. I mean you have Art and Frankie Laine, and a couple others but I don't think anything has really gone down yet. The early winter months are never usually friendly but with Deathlist's most successful December with plenty of quality, you shouldn't argue. March is soon coming visable from hibernation, I wouldn't be suprised to have two or three f****n drop faster then domino's in that time.

Even out of those, RAW probably wouldn't meet the fame standards (then again, if Ruby Muhammad does...) and Art Buchwald seemed to be doing alright, so it was understandable that he was left out. Also, there wasn't much talk about Sheldon for him to be noticed, really more of just a mention.

I wholeheartedly agree with the MIB. As I said in the other thread, in our record year, we didn't have a hit until March!

I need someone to define the fame standards for DL to me, as I honestly have no idea where the cut-off line is.

A person is really famous or well known to those who are familiar with their work.

Someone like Magnus Magnusson would be well known to the majority of those in the UK, but probably not heard of outside of that realm.

RAW did pick up quite a few obituaries and I had heard of him as I have a couple of his books downstairs (even though I haven't got round to opening them and reading them). OK so he wasn't constantly on the best-seller list and I guess not exactly a household name.

Sheldon would have been a bit of a gamble, he'd been in hospital for at least 4 months, but what the heck.. a manic depressive with pneumonia wouldn't have been a bad bet.

It's like with Ian Richardson, ok that one would have been a difficult one to predict, but I was irritated by CNN and MSNBC who kept referring to him as "the man in the grey poupon".

On the flip side, we do have a pretty good list this year but like any years there will always be ones that slip through the net and we think "how did we overlook that one?".

I need someone to define the fame standards for DL to me, as I honestly have no idea where the cut-off line is.

It is pretty simple as I see it - The canidate requires a fair obituary once they are dead. A canidate like Magnusson is unheard of in the US and probably wouldn't even be talked about. Maurice Papon is famous enough I think, but he probably won't get some top notch obituary. Ruby Muhammad is questioned and argued about for that purpose, but being the mother of islam is still a big deal no matter if you know who she is or not.

Anyway.... didn't we have a similar witchhunt last year?

Anyway.... didn't we have a similar witchhunt last year?

Witch hunt? Nobody killed Oprah Winfrey did they?

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....

Feb 16th and still no score for deathlist 2007!

What's the average rate to aim for? One a month? if so then this years list hit rate is lagging, considering we are in the middle of our winter period and loads of the old folk are suffering from all sorts of flu bugs....

I think the death that would be most considered a pukka 'miss' was Frankie Lane.

But there's only so many you can put on the list..

But it's not like your list is looking fabulous either. In my eyes you only have one hit, you better Deathlist, but that could all change in a week.

What's the average rate to aim for? One a month? if so then this years list hit rate is lagging, considering we are in the middle of our winter period and loads of the old folk are suffering from all sorts of flu bugs....

Check out the DL Statto thread - our best year didn't kick off until March.