Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

Guest xdeadkidx
nelson mandela: because he has a statue in london for no apparent reason and because he is old

I think it has more to do with the fact that he went from being a political prisoner, to ruling his own country for the millions of blacks who were given the right to vote in their own country.

yeah but couldn't he have one in his country...i still want him dead though

nelson mandela: because he has a statue in london for no apparent reason and because he is old

I think it has more to do with the fact that he went from being a political prisoner, to ruling his own country for the millions of blacks who were given the right to vote in their own country.

Interesting to see a former terrorist having a statue erected in London, when will the Americans create one for old Osama? Who's next on the lets honour anyone list, Che Guevara anyone? Maybe they'll name a street after Martin McGuinness in Eniskillen or Omagh?

Guest xdeadkidx

anyway mandela is a terrorist so that why he was imprisoned so get your fact straight and also he was arrested for treason and he co-oridnated a sabotage campaign

I suppose it all depends on your interpretation and worldview.

If that's the way we are playing it, George Washington was a terrorist too. I would go further with this statement, but if I claim him to be the founder of American liberty, I will be shot down from 100 different directions. Lets take down all his statues.

I suppose with Mandela, the world has accepted that his means met a decent ends.

anyway mandela is a terrorist so that why he was imprisoned so get your fact straight and also he was arrested for treason and he co-oridnated a sabotage campaign

Do I sense a narrow mind? Or simply someone who likes to go against the conventional way of thinking?

I will admit that my knowledge of South Africa and her politics is not as good as it could be. I do, however, find your statement to be an unreasonable summary.

My facts were straight. Mandela got the statue because the conventional ideas of the day portray Mandela as a figure who fought for freedom. Like I have said in my previous post, it has been decided that his means met a satisfactory end.

I do find it quite sad that you can sit at your computer and say he was arrested for treason, and he co-ordinated a sabotage campaign without looking at why he thought it was necessary. This may be a bit too simple an answer, but basically white settlers denied the native people (yes I am aware that term may not be PC) any say in the running of their country. They were denied the right to vote, and kept under control by the authorities.

Tell me, had you been a black man living under these conditions in South Africa - would you have sat back and 'known your place'? Would you have supported a government system that had no regard for you or your people whatsoever?

I suppose the problem here is that terrorists around the world could cliam the same reason for their struggle. That is why Mandela's history is open to interpretation.

If that's the way we are playing it, George Washington was a terrorist too. I would go further with this statement, but if I claim him to be the founder of American liberty, I will be shot down from 100 different directions. Lets take down all his statues.

I suppose with Mandela, the world has accepted that his means met a decent ends.

I don't recall any statues in the UK in honour of George Washington, in the same way they haven't had one stuck in front of the Arc De Triomphe for Ho Chi Minh :skill2:

I don't recall any statues in the UK in honour of George Washington, in the same way they haven't had one stuck in front of the Arc De Triomphe for Ho Chi Minh :skull:

:skill2:

It said on the news that Mandela's statue was near to a statue of Abraham Lincoln. How does it come to pass that Lincoln gets a statue but Washington didn't? Must be racial awareness corner or something.

I don't recall any statues in the UK in honour of George Washington, in the same way they haven't had one stuck in front of the Arc De Triomphe for Ho Chi Minh :skull:

:skill2:

It said on the news that Mandela's statue was near to a statue of Abraham Lincoln. How does it come to pass that Lincoln gets a statue but Washington didn't? Must be racial awareness corner or something.

Lincoln ended slavery shame nobody told the South!!!!

Guest Kenny Lynch

Did Errol Brown or Gary Wilmot get a statue?

what about these people:

farrah fawcett: had twice arse cancer and still fighting the tumour

holly johnson:had hiv positive since 1989

jane hamser: has reccuring breast cancer

jenni murray: have to agree with other posts because she has breast cancer

mickey wright: because she also has breast cancer that has spread

elizabeth taylor: in a wheel chair old and decrepdid

john prescott: ate too many pies

stephen hawkins: just for the fun of it

lance armstrong: just for fun

Montel williams: ms

muhammed ali: parkinsons

andy bell: aids

............................................i make another list up later

Please don't.

By the way, Andy Bell is HIV positive, quite different from having AIDS. Perhaps you in turn might care to "get your fact (sic) straight".

hmmmm.....hard one i think there alot of people that will be rumble by the end of this year so we should start making lists at the end of december

Murlidhar Devdas 'Baba' Amte, 92, has been diagnosed with leukemia.

He's famous in India for helping the sick and the poverty stricken, always cuddling lepers - a bit like a male version of Mother Teresa without the religious trappings.

I'm fairly confident he'll get a UK obit.

He's at least as famous as Abbe Pierre, who got both BBC and Guardian obits. Sad too, because at that age it's very difficult to fight it. :sicktherm:

Baba Amte discharged from hospital, but he's not exactly well.

Another name to add to the mix:

Sabina Yasmin, an entertainment colossus in Bangladesh, is seriously ill with cancer. She would probably get an obit via the BBC South Asia pages, which often report Bollywood & other entertainment figures from that part of the world. The cancer, though, appears to be Hodgkins lymphona, which is often one of the more "treatable" cancers.

Ian Porterfield, who scored the winning goal for Sunderland against Leeds in the 1973 FA Cup final, is battling colon cancer. When in charge of Chelsea in 1992, he became the first manager to be sacked in the Premiership era. He is now the manager of the Armenian national team.

He's just left hospital.

It appears he's got treatment in time & it's going well, but that's been said about others. Still, like I said before, I hope in this case all IS fine.

His cancer has returned, he's back in hospital, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, more surgery, back on my deadpool team, etc etc

Porterfield is currently unable to work, and back in hospital. :sicktherm:

The Rev. Fred L. Shuttlesworth, 85, renowned American civil rights leader who campaigned alongside Martin Luther King, is in intensive care after suffering a stroke. He was not in the best of health before his stroke, having been treated for a brain tumour in 2005.

He was very nearly killed by the Ku Klux Klan in 1956 (dynamite planted under his house) and again in 1957 (attacked by mob)

Shih Ming-Teh, the Taiwanese dissident, who was reported last year to be suffering from liver cancer, is now said to be afflicted with lung cancer was well.

Shih Ming-Teh still well enough to address 50000 pro democracy campaigners, no mention of lung cancer either, but liver cancer by itself is bad enough.

He's on my DDP team so I was rather cheered to read this:

"One of his aides revealed that Shih had toyed with the idea of sacrificing himself with self-immolation" :unsure:

Sadly his wife, who rather selfishly did not take my DDP team in to consideration, talked him out of it. But I wouldn't have thought is cancer prognosis is terribly good if he's thinking of setting himself on fire. Nothing to lose and all that.

"Asia's Mandela" will get loads of obits when he shuffles off.

Guest The Doc
Ricky Tomlinson is to undergo heart surgery

Quadruple bypass. Not quite as Spaghetti Junction-dangerous as it sounds; Clinton survived it OK, though I dare say he leads a healthier lifestyle than Ricky.

Guest TheUnknownMan

Top drug 'Colombian Lord' Diego Montonya is being arrested. Let's put that bastard on our DDP for next year for execution. ::unsure:

Shih Ming-Teh, the Taiwanese dissident, who was reported last year to be suffering from liver cancer, is now said to be afflicted with lung cancer was well.

Shih Ming-Teh still well enough to address 50000 pro democracy campaigners, no mention of lung cancer either, but liver cancer by itself is bad enough.

He's on my DDP team so I was rather cheered to read this:

"One of his aides revealed that Shih had toyed with the idea of sacrificing himself with self-immolation" :unsure:

Sadly his wife, who rather selfishly did not take my DDP team in to consideration, talked him out of it. But I wouldn't have thought is cancer prognosis is terribly good if he's thinking of setting himself on fire. Nothing to lose and all that.

"Asia's Mandela" will get loads of obits when he shuffles off.

Sshhhhh! He's on STAB_in-the_DARK's ordinary team, which has already lost three of its members in less than two weeks. At this rate, they'll be the winner by Halloween.

what about these people:

farrah fawcett: had twice arse cancer and still fighting the tumour

holly johnson:had hiv positive since 1989

jane hamser: has reccuring breast cancer

jenni murray: have to agree with other posts because she has breast cancer

mickey wright: because she also has breast cancer that has spread

elizabeth taylor: in a wheel chair old and decrepdid

john prescott: ate too many pies

stephen hawkins: just for the fun of it

lance armstrong: just for fun

Montel williams: ms

muhammed ali: parkinsons

andy bell: aids

............................................i make another list up later

Don't even mention Montel. I've had MS longer than he has and I'm far from circling the drain. It's not a death sentence for anyone...unless someone really pisses me off about it.

Atal Bihari Vajpayee, 83, former Prime Minister of India, isn't doing too well. He collapsed last month and was taken to hospital complaining of giddiness and drowsiness. He has previously suffered from kidney cancer and this article from way back in 2000 says that he has prostate cancer.

Atal Bihari Vajpayee, 83, former Prime Minister of India, isn't doing too well. He collapsed last month and was taken to hospital complaining of giddiness and drowsiness. He has previously suffered from kidney cancer and this article from way back in 2000 says that he has prostate cancer.

nothing there to suggest his death is anywhere near imminent though

nothing there to suggest his death is anywhere near imminent though

Well Iain, he collapsed recently, he's suffered from cancer for years and recent press articles have mentioned his deteriorating health. He has also reached the ripe old age of 83 in a country when the average life expectancy is 58. In light of that, I would suggest it is entirely reasonable to mention him in a thread for people who might die next year.

Besides, I think it's a bit rich for you to be giving advice on quality control. :lol:

Tony Snow is holding his last White House press conference.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3596165&page=1

alright, votes please. Is he famous enough, and is he too low hanging fruit-ish to be considered a DL worthy candidate?

I'd vote we pick him for 2008