Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

Tony Snow is holding his last White House press conference.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3596165&page=1

alright, votes please. Is he famous enough, and is he too low hanging fruit-ish to be considered a DL worthy candidate?

I'd vote we pick him for 2008

What kind of cancer has he got? If it's a Jane "I told you I was ill" Tomlinson (Copyright Windsor) type cancer then he's got many marathons ahead :lol:

alright, votes please. Is he famous enough, and is he too low hanging fruit-ish to be considered a DL worthy candidate?

What kind of cancer has he got? If it's a Jane "I told you I was ill" Tomlinson (Copyright Windsor) type cancer then he's got many marathons ahead :unsure:

He's probably a good bet. From Wikipedia, and pretty much what I've read elsewhere:

Snow, having suffered for years from ulcerative colitis, was at an increased risk for colon cancer.[5] In February 2005, this risk proved real, as he developed cancer in his colon.[6] After having his colon removed, he returned to work in April 2005. On Friday, March 23, 2007, Snow announced that he would be undergoing surgery the following Monday to remove and investigate an abdominal growth.[7] On March 27, the White House announced that the growth was cancerous and had metastasized.[8][9][10]

If by famous enough, will he get an obit good enough for the DDP? Yes. Will your grandchildren know who he was? Probably not.

Wouldn't consider him low-hanging fruit - he's beaten cancer once before and claims that he's getting better (I know, I know, he would say that). He also has enough money for the best treatment (which staved off Pavarotti's far worse pancreatic cancer for over a year). Personal, I'm skeptical that he'll die, though I can't say I wouldn't benefit from WDP points.

My suggestion - put him in. You have 50 names, and you could easily kick someone like Olivia de Havilland or Ruby Muhammad off to give him a spot. People are going to complain no matter what. If you pick people who are old and sick, they'll complain that all the picks were too easy. If you don't pick people who are old and sick, you don't get as many hits, and people complain about how crap the list is/how few hits there are. Putting him in will cause less complaints because, if he does die, then the happiness of a hit drowns out the "well that was obvious" group. If you don't put him in, you'll get a plethora of complaints about how you missed "an obvious one" (I'm surprised that so few people complained about Pavarotti).

Also, might be helpful to see how he's doing around December, might get a better idea of how the cancer is.

What kind of cancer has he got? If it's a Jane "I told you I was ill" Tomlinson (Copyright Windsor) type cancer then he's got many marathons ahead ;)

He's probably a good bet. From Wikipedia, and pretty much what I've read elsewhere:

Snow, having suffered for years from ulcerative colitis, was at an increased risk for colon cancer.[5] In February 2005, this risk proved real, as he developed cancer in his colon.[6] After having his colon removed, he returned to work in April 2005. On Friday, March 23, 2007, Snow announced that he would be undergoing surgery the following Monday to remove and investigate an abdominal growth.[7] On March 27, the White House announced that the growth was cancerous and had metastasized.[8][9][10]

He's arguably the Tammy Faye Messner for 2008/9....one to stick your joker on for the DDP... <_<

Please would someone be so kind as to do a little run-down of all celebs who've announced illnesses in the last 6 months. also everyones thoughts on the celeb they reckon will be next to go!

Cheers

Regarding Tony Snow - I haven't heard any real developments about his health since March, and according to this This interview the cancer is officially in remission. He may be worth keeping an eye on but as of yet, he isn't a slam-dunk terminal case like Tammy Faye was.

Please would someone be so kind as to do a little run-down of all celebs who've announced illnesses in the last 6 months. also everyones thoughts on the celeb they reckon will be next to go!

Cheers

That's so you can shovel them up and put them in your DDP!

<_<

Good idea, I'll start the ball rolling with The Ruts singer Paul Fox having terminal cancer.... ;)

I'm sssooooooo tempted to put this where it belongs, namely the Ideas and possibilities thread. Anyone else agree?

[edit] Well, as no one answered, I decided to merge it. If any other mod wishes to unmerge it, feel free.

Edited by heaven can wait

Ok so he probably won't get a full obit but surely there'll be some sort of news coverage when this man dies? I'm talking about Pall Arason, a 92 year old Icelandic man who has agreed to donate his member to Iceland's Phallology museum when he dies.

http://www.nerve.com/regulars/quickies/penisDonation/

Guest Guest
Another name to add to the mix:

Sabina Yasmin, an entertainment colossus in Bangladesh, is seriously ill with cancer. She would probably get an obit via the BBC South Asia pages, which often report Bollywood & other entertainment figures from that part of the world. The cancer, though, appears to be Hodgkins lymphona, which is often one of the more "treatable" cancers.

So will you be putting her on your DDP team Mr Odstock? I will be putting her on mine, and I think you should do the same. :crossbone:

Guest Guest
Another name to add to the mix:

Sabina Yasmin, an entertainment colossus in Bangladesh, is seriously ill with cancer. She would probably get an obit via the BBC South Asia pages, which often report Bollywood & other entertainment figures from that part of the world. The cancer, though, appears to be Hodgkins lymphona, which is often one of the more "treatable" cancers.

So will you be putting her on your DDP team Mr Odstock? I will be putting her on mine, and I think you should do the same. :crossbone:

Yeah me three. :crossbone:

this place roxs policeee dont bann me

dot cotton shes in 80tes/90tes think

:skill2::crossbone::crossbone::ghost:

yoo

uppppppp :old:

June Brown was 80 on February 16th

this place roxs policeee dont bann me

dot cotton shes in 80tes/90tes think

:skill2::crossbone::crossbone::ghost:

yoo

uppppppp :old:

June Brown was 80 on February 16th

wow cheers looks older

:D

yoooo

Is it worth me trailing through this list or is it just full of obscure people??

Is it worth me trailing through this list or is it just full of obscure people??

No one is going to hand you a list of names to use on a platter. It's obvious that you have little interest in doing the research yourself either. Had you spent 60 seconds it took to write this post or start that earlier thread actually looking at the front page of this forum, you would have found the big thread called "Ideas and Possibilities: The Names (2007 Edition)" that not only contains about 100 people's names with a brief description of their ailments, but also contains a majority of actually notable people since it's more directed towards proposals to the DL Committee at the end of the year than individual deadpools.

Possibly Mr Guest, possibly, and, as always, I thank you for your interest in my DDP welfare. But I like to play my cards close to my chest so I don't like to reveal too many of my 2008 shortlist. All I will say is, surviving they live until 2008, I have three British sportsmen with terminal illnesses on my list.

If you're the same guest each time, the amount of names in your team is going to be 43 :crossbone:

Possibly Mr Guest, possibly, and, as always, I thank you for your interest in my DDP welfare. But I like to play my cards close to my chest so I don't like to reveal too many of my 2008 shortlist. All I will say is, surviving they live until 2008, I have three British sportsmen with terminal illnesses on my list.

If you're the same guest each time, the amount of names in your team is going to be 43 :skill2:

3! Hmmm you keep your ear to the ground...Well done for re-entering the top ten BTW... :crossbone:

Time, I think for a quick update from Myanmar. Whilst Senior General Than Shwe is looking in rude health, Prime Minister Soe Win has just returned from Singapore after unspecified treatment.

Ever wondered why these top Myanmar officials keep going to Singapore for their treatment? Well, with less than $1 per capita annual health care expenditure, there isn't a lot to go round. Evidently, Than Shwe spent more money on his daughter's wedding last year than the entire health budget

I don't think that Hello covered the event, though.

Soe Win is still suffering from leukemia, but his twin brother and fellow junta bigwig General Tin Htun has just died.

I mention this because Soe Win is reported to have been relying on bone marrow transplants from "family members" over the last few months. It could be concluded that his twin brother would have had the best bone marrow match, so his death might spell bad news for the surviving sibling. :unsure:

If you're easily offended don't read the rest, if you're thinking DDP points stick around:

Gary Coombs, as I read this story, appears to be the sole survivor of a tragedy strewn family, half of whom have now perished at Manningtree Station. One of the messages of sympathy for his wife was a handwritten plea for Gary to stay alive. Interestingly, unless the Mirror have their facts wrong, 47 year old Gary is the son of woman who is only 60!

Whilst the barrel is being well and truly scraped let's not forget another striken family, the Walliamses. The proud and adoring dad of TV comedian David Walliams was there when his son swam the channel. Whether young David will see the funny side of his dad's liver cancer is another matter. The tabloids will doubtless cover the aftermath, qualifying anyone sick enough to pick the man for DDP points.

Go well

If you're easily offended don't read the rest, if you're thinking DDP points stick around:

Gary Coombs, as I read this story, appears to be the sole survivor of a tragedy strewn family, half of whom have now perished at Manningtree Station. One of the messages of sympathy for his wife was a handwritten plea for Gary to stay alive. Interestingly, unless the Mirror have their facts wrong, 47 year old Gary is the son of woman who is only 60!

Whilst the barrel is being well and truly scraped let's not forget another striken family, the Walliamses. The proud and adoring dad of TV comedian David Walliams was there when his son swam the channel. Whether young David will see the funny side of his dad's liver cancer is another matter. The tabloids will doubtless cover the aftermath, qualifying anyone sick enough to pick the man for DDP points.

Go well

The tabloids might pick up on the story, but would the broadsheets and bbc.co.uk?

Any link to the story about Mr Walliams?

Depending on the kind of news day it's possible both would make a paragraph in a broadsheet. Especially given the exceptional level of tragedy if and when Gary Coombs decides on a family reunion.

Then again, DDP rules are just news reports, not neccessarily obits. I'm still holding out for Cliff Richard's mum to score for me on the DDP this year. Wouldn't have dreamed of going the CPDP route with her.

I've searched the site for him and can't find any mentions of him, but Art Modell may be up for consideration in 2008. For those outside the US, Art was the owner of the American Football Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens. Several years ago, Modell suffered a stroke and has been less and less visible publicly. I was talking to my father the other day and told me that he made a concrete delivery to Modell's mausoleum (which to date has cost US$1.5 million, which these days is about 100k in real money). It's no indication of further declining health, but it peaked my interest.

As far as a UK obit, I'm pretty sure he won't get one since New York Giants owner Wellington Mara didn't get a UK obit that I can find. If you're in a death pool with wider criteria for points, Modell might be worth a look.