Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

Hank Thompson, country music pioneer and the "King of Western Swing", has suddenly retired after he was diagnosed with an undisclosed illness.

The message on his website does not bode well.

The undisclosed illness is lung cancer, and he's in a hospice, according to this. :skull::skill2:

Excellent spot, DDT, but Thompson will be dead by the end of the month, if not the end of the week, I expect.

and now dead

Ar ya see. I told ya he would be dead. Fidel Castro is next. The gods have agreed with this. :crossbone::blink::crossbone:

Pretty much a foregone conclusion when someone is moved to a hospice with lung cancer.

I believe Castro will hang on until his CD hits the shops

Despite going through a search, and probably because im a thick git, I cannot find any mention of Paul O'Grady.

So whats the deal?

According to my sources, the medication he takes is for people who are VERY ill.

A bang on candidate for 2008.

Excellent spot, DDT, but Thompson will be dead by the end of the month, if not the end of the week, I expect.

Ar ya see. I told ya he would be dead. Fidel Castro is next. The gods have agreed with this. :crossbone::blink::crossbone:

I believe Castro will hang on until his CD hits the shops

Ah good-o. I hope it's in time for Christmas, a new album to listen to will be just the ticket. Thompson lasted.. what two days after I said dead by the end of the week? Shame.

I wonder if Fidel Castro & Kenny Rogers are one & the same. They both have magnificent beards & they haven't been seen in public together EVER.

It would also explain a lot of other "weird" things with both of them.

Yonder, LFN.

Despite going through a search, and probably because im a thick git, I cannot find any mention of Paul O'Grady.

So whats the deal?

According to my sources, the medication he takes is for people who are VERY ill.

Yonder, LFN.

So whats the deal?

Many thanks ATJ.

Yep, I still think he is worth putting a few quid on.

Former Polish president Lech Walesa wants to have a heart transplant. He "could die" if he doesn't.

Guest Guest

Next year's list should be:

1. Fidel Castro

2. Ariel Sharon

3. Phyllis A. Whitney

4. Tony Snow

5. Michael Foot

6. Albert Hofmann

7. Oscar Neimeyer

8. Claude Levi-Strauss

9. Michael DeBakey

10. Ronnie Biggs

11. Barbara Kent

12. Ian Smith

13. Anita Page

14. Vera Lynn

15. Gore Vidal

16. Eli Wallach

17. Dom Mintoff

18. Mark Felt

19. Irena Sendler

20. Elizabeth Taylor

21. Margarete Thatcher

22. Vera Lynn

23. Ruby Muhummad

24. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

25. Kirk Douglas

26. Sargent Shriver

27. Boris Efimov

28. Harold Pinter

29. Suharto

30. Dom Mintoff

31. Donna Fargo

32. Yitzhak Shamir

33. Billy Graham

34. Maureen O'Hara

35. Olivia De Haviland

36. Jeff Healey

37. Isabel Peron

38. Nelson Mandela

39. Charlton Heston

40. JD Salinger

41. Jake Lamotta

42. Dino De Laurentiis

43. Robert Mugabe

44. Herbert Lom

45. Pervez Musharrif

46. Barbara Streisand

47. Jack Kevorkian

48. Louis Farrakhan

49. Frederica Sagor Maas

50. Clive Dunn

17. Dom Mintoff

30. Dom Mintoff

I didn't know there were two Dom Mintoffs. Is it like the quest to climb the two peaks of Kilimanjaro?

:skull: I'm not sure why but everytime I see his name I think of Dom Joli.

Ah, the old anonymous suggestions trick, eh?

I think you're kind of missing the point. Deathlist should be about decent debate, humour, wit and bile. Most of those candidates are either on the list, have been on the list or, well, dull.

If Deathlist wants to beat records, then sure we could pool together 50 names with much better chance than the 50 that will be revealed on Jan 1st. I'm sure some of our members will put together much better lists than the final 50 as regards bums in hearses, but lets be honest about this...

4. Tony Snow who are ya?

9. Michael DeBakey who are ya?

11. Barbara Kent who are ya?

13. Anita Page who are ya?

19. Irena Sendler who are ya?

26. Sargent Shriver who are ya?

27. Boris Efimov who are ya?

31. Donna Fargo who are ya?

37. Isabel Peron who are ya?

49. Frederica Sagor Maaswho are ya?

50. Clive Dunn who are ...oh.

I think almost on principle when we have one survivor of something mega - like WW1 - we should give them serious consideration for the top 50 DL. Meaning I think Titanic survivor Milvena Dean has to be there, unless she organises her own final voyage before New Year. I mean, part of the 'fun' of the list is the way it reminds us of the inevitable and pulls grim humour from the inevitability of death and the unpredictability of the how and when it will happen. Milvena's whole notoriety now is down to an event that involved the Grim Reaper having it large one night at a truly unexpected time. When she passes, a piece of history also passes, or summat.

Anyway, I reckon we should have her on the list next year.

I think almost on principle when we have one survivor of something mega - like WW1 - we should give them serious consideration for the top 50 DL. Meaning I think Titanic survivor Milvena Dean has to be there, unless she organises her own final voyage before New Year. I mean, part of the 'fun' of the list is the way it reminds us of the inevitable and pulls grim humour from the inevitability of death and the unpredictability of the how and when it will happen. Milvena's whole notoriety now is down to an event that involved the Grim Reaper having it large one night at a truly unexpected time. When she passes, a piece of history also passes, or summat.

Anyway, I reckon we should have her on the list next year.

I second that. It'll be world news when the last survivor of The Great War goes...

Ah, the old anonymous suggestions trick, eh?

I think you're kind of missing the point. Deathlist should be about decent debate, humour, wit and bile. Most of those candidates are either on the list, have been on the list or, well, dull.

If Deathlist wants to beat records, then sure we could pool together 50 names with much better chance than the 50 that will be revealed on Jan 1st. I'm sure some of our members will put together much better lists than the final 50 as regards bums in hearses, but lets be honest about this...

4. Tony Snow who are ya?

9. Michael DeBakey who are ya?

11. Barbara Kent who are ya?

13. Anita Page who are ya?

19. Irena Sendler who are ya?

26. Sargent Shriver who are ya?

27. Boris Efimov who are ya?

31. Donna Fargo who are ya?

37. Isabel Peron who are ya?

49. Frederica Sagor Maaswho are ya?

50. Clive Dunn who are ...oh.

Hear, hear. There's nothing clever about a half century of centenarians, I'd like to see a Gazza type or someone else with reckless disregard for their own personal health and/or safety. There's already a good list of potentials here and another here.

On the other hand, don't leave Clive Dunn off for God's sake, he's waiting to be left off the list to die just to spite us.

Guest Guest

1. Fidel Castro

2. Ariel Sharon

3. Phyllis A. Whitney

4. Tony Snow

5. Michael Foot

6. Albert Hofmann

7. Oscar Neimeyer

8. Claude Levi-Strauss

9. Michael DeBakey

10. Ronnie Biggs

11. Barbara Kent

12. Ian Smith

13. Anita Page

14. Vera Lynn

15. Gore Vidal

16. Eli Wallach

17. Dom Mintoff

18. Mark Felt

19. Irena Sendler

20. Elizabeth Taylor

21. Margarete Thatcher

22. Vera Lynn

23. Ruby Muhummad

24. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

25. Kirk Douglas

26. Sargent Shriver

27. Boris Efimov

28. Harold Pinter

29. Suharto

30. Dom Mintoff

31. Donna Fargo

32. Yitzhak Shamir

33. Billy Graham

34. Maureen O'Hara

35. Olivia De Haviland

36. Jeff Healey

37. Isabel Peron

38. Nelson Mandela

39. Charlton Heston

40. JD Salinger

41. Jake Lamotta

42. Dino De Laurentiis

43. Robert Mugabe

44. Herbert Lom

45. Pervez Musharrif

46. Barbara Streisand

47. Jack Kevorkian

48. Louis Farrakhan

49. Frederica Sagor Maas

50. Clive Dunn

Correction: 30. Patrick Moore

I know this one is a bit dubious, but Randa bin Laden, 52, big sister of Osama, is reported to receiving treatment in a Harley Street clinic after she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.

How about UK entertainers Max Bygraves born 1922 and Val Doonican born 1924

How about UK entertainers Max Bygraves born 1922 and Val Doonican born 1924

Welcome to the Deathlist Dulwich! :skull:

I've not seen Bygraves for a bit, but old Val still looks good...

Bygraves lives in Australia and exhibits amazingly good health for one so old. Derek Batey, Doonican and others of that vintage are also remarkably chipper.

Reg Varney would be a better bet from that lot, or a Brinsworth House resident, like Pepe Poupe.

Australian cricket legend, Norman O'Neill, is seriously ill - would get a UK obit, but not enough information on his health.

Dennis Preistley, twice world darts champion, has been diagnosed with prostate cancer - would get an obit but probably won't die.

Don Kirkpatrick, guitarist in Rod Stewart's backing band, is battling throat cancer - may very well die, but probably won't get a UK obit.

That'll be all. :lol:

I really would like to see a newsreader on the list. I've mentioned Richard Baker and Kenneth Kendall before but they are still a bit young. Walter Cronkite would be my choice for a newsreader slot.

I really would like to see a newsreader on the list. I've mentioned Richard Baker and Kenneth Kendall before but they are still a bit young. Walter Cronkite would be my choice for a newsreader slot.

See my post in the Walter Cronkite thread. Still doing speaking engagements, or at least in theory. Would be a bad miss, admittedly though.

Robert Kee?

Robert Kee?

Robert Kee would be good, a bit more than a head and shoulders in front of the camera but then so was Cronkite. Charles Wheeler is worth bookmarking as well, perhaps not yet a while although he has looked like death warmed up for as long as if I've seen him on TV.

Re Barry Penner, the cancer in question can vary from desperate to easily treatable. Without knowing more he'd be something of a long shot. What's the basis of your 50/50 judgement CP?

That I don't know much about it, therefore, given my information I feel that there's an equal chance that it could go either way. :lol:

More seriously though, as I said above, he still does seem to be able to perform some of his duties (and he claims that all will be well of course), but on the other hand he hasn't exactly been getting out and about.

He's not going on my CPDP, if that influences you or anyone else at all.

Looking alright in a new video on his website.

Thread titles are slogans because thread titles advertise the base of the conversation, just as commercials advertise products or just as magazines advertise lies, or just as comedy advertises humour, or occasionally humour that doesn't make people laugh. I just have no idea why this threads slogan advertises the opposite purpose of this thread all together. I think ideas and possibilities are just that, just as I say them and the reason the main exact 'reason' I usually don't contribute to this ideas and possibility thread is because at the show down of consideration I feel my ideas won't be taken into possibility because they won't be read. This whole thread is like writing a thousand words on a wall, you will only read a few of them.