Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

Blast - there goes my lead - well done FF for picking Mehmed Uzun.

He needs that obit though. If he gets it, you have to say he's favourite to retain his title, but you're pushing him all the way!

:lol:

Mehmed Uzun has, finally, got a UK obit in the Times.

Congrats Football Fan (AKA Meet Your Maker). The winning post is in sight... ;)

Also, that's your 12th hit, equalling the record set by Fallen Sparrow in 2005...

Evening all - long time no see. Good to see many of the old faces still kicking around on DL, and I gather I've missed a real-life get-together of late. Shame - sounds like it was a good laugh.

Anyway, a bit of an announcement...after 5 years of running the DDP, Siegfried and I have decided to retire, as it were, so we're looking to hand over the reins to someone else.

Behind the frankly shoddy website lies a database and a load of code to automate tasks such as setting up the teams at the start of the year and updating the webpages whenever someone croaks, so it's all pretty straightforward to run. We're keen to see the DDP continue (and over 100 new teams have applied to join in for 2008), so we'd pass all this on and be on hand to answer any questions. Plus we've always found the competitors willing to help out, and they're very good at spotting obits that we've missed, so we don't even have to keep a close eye on the news.

Oh, and you would of course be able to change any rules that you don't like - and I gather from some of the latest posts on this thread that there are a few... :lol:

So there's the sales pitch...anyone interested?

Evening all - long time no see. Good to see many of the old faces still kicking around on DL, and I gather I've missed a real-life get-together of late. Shame - sounds like it was a good laugh.

Anyway, a bit of an announcement...after 5 years of running the DDP, Siegfried and I have decided to retire, as it were, so we're looking to hand over the reins to someone else.

Behind the frankly shoddy website lies a database and a load of code to automate tasks such as setting up the teams at the start of the year and updating the webpages whenever someone croaks, so it's all pretty straightforward to run. We're keen to see the DDP continue (and over 100 new teams have applied to join in for 2008), so we'd pass all this on and be on hand to answer any questions. Plus we've always found the competitors willing to help out, and they're very good at spotting obits that we've missed, so we don't even have to keep a close eye on the news.

Oh, and you would of course be able to change any rules that you don't like - and I gather from some of the latest posts on this thread that there are a few... :lol:

Would you be prepared to redecorate (i.e. remove that awful wallpaper) before you move out?

If someone can help with the graphics/webpage loading etc, I'm very interested - I'll send you an e-mail.

In my favour for my application, I already have a large amount of the 2007 database on my computer & can do the e-mail mularkey/updates/write up etc.

Just need someone who is a whizz with computers to tell me how it's done & load it all up on the site (I have a website like that at the moment - I do the hard work & someone just presses a button & hey presto it's up!)

And as I have my 2008 team pretty much sorted already (ie I know who I'm going to name as long as they're still alive), I can confirm I won't cheat by reading names off people's lists & enter my team as early as allowed.

and any new rules would be democratic - ie current players would choose & we go with the majority.

So, that's my hat in the ring anyhow.

I could do that I suppose. Although it's more work than you're implying.

And if the Monopolies Commission doesn't mind.

What does the webhosting cost?

Firstly I'd like to thank Rude Kid and Siegfried for their work over the last few years, I hope you enjoy your retirement. The DDP should be declared a national treasure to keep it in the country, out of the clutches of the Americans.

OoO would be my first choice to take up the reins, we need someone methodical and into databases, lists, that sort of thing, to keep the house in order. But I agree that group participation would make the job easier.

I'm too technically inept to volunteer my own services, but I might like to be involved in a non-executive, advisory capacity. Maybe sending out the odd email when Odstock is on holiday or doing the biographies for candidates whose surname begins with "Q" and "X".

Ah, volunteers already - good show.

Nooo to redecoration! At least not till the new tenant moves in. The wood effect wallpaper's kind of grown on me over the years...

The webhosting is free - the only slight catch being you have to use their dialup service to send email from the DDP account, but it's only 1p a minute or whatever. Everything else (receiving emails and updating the website) can be done via your normal broadband ISP.

The webpages, as I mentioned, are automatically generated, apart from the front page with the news and stuff on it; the uploading is done using free FTP software that's dead easy to use.

I'm seeing the Baboon for a few beers tomorrow evening, so I'll mention your 'job applications' to him then, and we'll be in touch over the weekend.

Hmmm....Interesting. I might be interested. Be a bit of a hobby. What do you do? Are there any costs?

Actually RK, I'll PM you tomorrow... :lol:

And ... a major announcement. The Derby Dead Pool organizers have resigned and one of the greatest competitions is now thrown up at random and I can only express my concern that it falls in the hands of a responsible human being. I've made my argument of what the official board of rules should read and if Triple O decides to take over the DDP, I'm confident that he will make the adjustments for a better game and most importantly that the base of the game itself will live on in the same order it originated.

Now since 'I'm not British' I would love to overtake the Derby Dead Pool more then anything but being rational 'it would be a huge responsibility' and in reality I wouldn't want five hundred lists E - Mailed to me. I would like to see the obituary sources extended and mainly any executions either banned or any executions point-value minimized. I look forward to see who in fact the next organizer or 'organizers' are and I wish Rude Kid and Siegfried Baboon luck in the future.

O and I say the wooden wall paper gets f****n teared down! Times are changing! Paint it black!

Firstly I'd like to thank Rude Kid and Siegfried for their work over the last few years, I hope you enjoy your retirement. The DDP should be declared a national treasure to keep it in the country, out of the clutches of the Americans.

OoO would be my first choice to take up the reins, we need someone methodical and into databases, lists, that sort of thing, to keep the house in order. But I agree that group participation would make the job easier.

I'm too technically inept to volunteer my own services, but I might like to be involved in a non-executive, advisory capacity. Maybe sending out the odd email when Odstock is on holiday or doing the biographies for candidates whose surname begins with "Q" and "X".

If no one minds reading obits written by a North American, I would love to tackle some of them. Say the R,S,T,U,V,W and Z's that DDT can't be arsed to do.

Anyway, thanks to RK and Siegfried for a job well done, and enjoy your retirement! The wallpaper does remind me of the kitchen in my first apartment though , but that's my problem, not yours.

This year is only my first in the DDP, and I am an absolute technodunce, but I do like typing (sadly), so if any adminny type typing needs to be done I'd be willing to help.

Whatever the outcome, Siegfried and Rude Kid are stars in the twilight land of the deadpoolers; much respect and many thanks for you work.

If no one minds reading obits written by a North American, I would love to tackle some of them. Say the R,S,T,U,V,W and Z's that DDT can't be arsed to do.

Sorry Madame D, bit of an unfortunate choice of words on my part, I'm all in favour of the contribution of Americans to the DDP.

I meant to say that I didn't want a quintessentially English site to turn in to the kentuckyderbydeadpool.com with banner advertising, supersize death bonuses and American news sources counted as obituaries etc.

I hope that clarifies my position. :lol:

And I say keep the wallpaper.

I meant to say that I didn't want a quintessentially English site to turn in to the kentuckyderbydeadpool.com with banner advertising, supersize death bonuses and American news sources counted as obituaries etc.

You've lost me completely on the last line. I think without a doubt CNN should be included as an obituary source. It's CNN which is only one of the most gratified news corporations in the world today...

If you want too see the way Derby Dead Pool should be ran talking-obituaries just go check out the rules section of The Canadian Paul Dead Pool.

You've lost me completely on the last line. I think without a doubt CNN should be included as an obituary source. It's CNN which is only one of the most gratified news corporations in the world today...

If you want too see the way Derby Dead Pool should be ran talking-obituaries just go check out the rules section of The Canadian Paul Dead Pool.

Why not include Fox news as well?

I mean as long as it's backed up by a serious reliable news site too.

You can watch Fox news all you want Nap (I don't usually watch it) I trust CNN and it's the essential source for headline news.

Now I'll sit and wait until I hear who over takes DDP and then we will discuss the fate of the rules.

And I say keep the wallpaper.

No apology necessary, DDT, I knew what you meant. Even as I type I'm envisioning the brand new Derby Deadpool Themepark : cartoon characters with gigantic heads all dressed up as Claude Levi-Strauss and Oscar Niemeyer, while tourists jostle for autographs. Look Bobby! There goes Ronnie Biggs! I don't care Mommy. I want a Derby Burger. I WANT A DERBY BURGER RIGHT NOW!!!

OK, OK, keep the wallpaper.

Dead Pool Derby has an American ring to it. When I first heard about it, that's what I thought the 'Derby' bit was

referring to, rather than the city. But institutions such as this are often named after such places (Burleigh horse trials etc)

so it shouldn't lose its name.

The wallpaper? Hmmm...

The site does need a bit of a revamp, lick of paint etc. It might be worth retaining the database and switching domains

(if thats possible) and setting up a new site more in line with todays modern websites. I mean look at the Deathlist, that's changed since I joined in 2005.

Maybe the Deathlist can incorporate the Derby Dead Pool as there are such close links between the two sites?

OK, I'm pleased to announce that the DDP will be under the management of Octopus of Odstock as of 1/1/08. Judging by the very efficient and willing assistance he's given us since he joined in 2004, it'll be in capable hands.

(Pauses for a polite ripple of applause)

As for the calls to allow CNN as a valid obit source, well, that will of course be up to the eight-legged one, but the reason we've been resisting it is that we wanted the DDP to retain its Britishness and not be totally swamped by old baseball players and bit-part sitcom actors who no-one over here has heard of. There are plenty of US deadpools out there already if that's what you want. It's also worth pointing out that the 2002, '03 and '05 winners were American, and Meet Your Maker, who looks like he's going to make it 2 wins in 2 years, is Canadian, so good research can certainly overcome the disadvantage of having to rely on foreign news sources.

Oh, and thanks for the good wishes on our retirement ("stars in the twilight land of the deadpoolers" indeed :lol:), although we'll still be around as players if Octopus will have us.

OK, I'm pleased to announce that the DDP will be under the management of Octopus of Odstock as of 1/1/08. Judging by the very efficient and willing assistance he's given us since he joined in 2004, it'll be in capable hands.

(Pauses for a polite ripple of applause)

As for the calls to allow CNN as a valid obit source, well, that will of course be up to the eight-legged one, but the reason we've been resisting it is that we wanted the DDP to retain its Britishness and not be totally swamped by old baseball players and bit-part sitcom actors who no-one over here has heard of. There are plenty of US deadpools out there already if that's what you want. It's also worth pointing out that the 2002, '03 and '05 winners were American, and Meet Your Maker, who looks like he's going to make it 2 wins in 2 years, is Canadian, so good research can certainly overcome the disadvantage of having to rely on foreign news sources.

Oh, and thanks for the good wishes on our retirement ("stars in the twilight land of the deadpoolers" indeed :lol:), although we'll still be around as players if Octopus will have us.

Here, here. Well done Rude Kid and Siegfried Baboon and good luck Octopus of Odstock

LONG LIVE THE DERBY DEAD POOL!

Well done Rude Kid and Siegfried Baboon!

You have made the DDP the cream of the crop among the deadpools out there.

Good luck Octopus of Odstock, under your management, I am sure that the DDP is in very capable hands.

Regards,

ff

Damn! I go up to Scotland for the weekend and a job comes and goes, Ah well, Happy retirement RK & Siegfried and congrats to OoO.

Guest Sour Grapes

Well thank f**k I threw in the towel when I did.

I certainly will not be competing in DDP2008.

On the plus side, one less team for OoO to worry about.

Well thank f**k I threw in the towel when I did.

I certainly will not be competing in DDP2008.

On the plus side, one less team for OoO to worry about.

Dear Sour Grapes of Reigate,

No great loss there then, eh? :lol: