football_fan

Things To Do While Waiting For Death... 2007

Could any competant linguist out there help with

I have two questions:

1 - What the f**k are they on about?

2 - Is the bloke in the background pissed or has he just survived some awful accident?

The man being interviewed is complaining about the fact that some men from the next town got his friend drunk and then pushed his face in the mud.

sounds like a fair deal, i would have my face pushed in mud if you by me beer.

What brand of beer and mud do you like?

Could any competant linguist out there help with

I have two questions:

1 - What the f**k are they on about?

2 - Is the bloke in the background pissed or has he just survived some awful accident?

The man being interviewed is complaining about the fact that some men from the next town got his friend drunk and then pushed his face in the mud.

sounds like a fair deal, i would have my face pushed in mud if you by me beer.

What brand of beer and mud do you like?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

What's in a name?

Knowing a little of the origins of my family, this site seemed more or less spot on for where most people of the same surname live. Although at 84 occurences per million just a comple of families is enough to turn a county purple. Anyway, I was most impressed, then again other peoples research always seems more interesting than your own. Probably due to the fact you are not doing it day in day out!

Neither my married nor maiden name turned up.

Oh yeah - wait. Right. I don't live in England. That's California outside of my window. :)

[whine] I want to go back to Texas!! [/whine]

Neither my married nor maiden name turned up.

Oh yeah - wait. Right. I don't live in England. That's California outside of my window. :)

[whine] I want to go back to Texas!! [/whine]

Don't worry, my surname didn't come up either, and I'm English.

That said, the fact that my surname has a 'Le' prefix meant I'd have been pretty surprised if it had have shown up, because as far as I know the only people with my surname on this island are my immediate family and my Dad's brother's family.

It's a bit more common in France (not very surprisingly) although my Dad's side of the family is from Jersey. The non tax-exile community, unfortunately. :) In fact, he no longer even has the right to live there, he'd have to qualify by the size of his bank account like everybody else....

As far as I'm aware, no-one else on the planet shares my exact first name/surname combination.

...my surname has a 'Le' prefix meant I'd have been pretty surprised if it had have shown up, because as far as I know the only people with my surname on this island are my immediate family and my Dad's brother's family. ... As far as I'm aware, no-one else on the planet shares my exact first name/surname combination.

I'm surprised to hear Tender Le'vin-Care isn't as common as one would first think. :banghead:

I'm surprised to hear Tender Le'vin-Care isn't as common as one would first think. :)
As well you might be; without the apostrophe and hyphen you see it everywhere. :banghead:

Guest Guest

I've just realised another of its fallbacks - was using it to demonstrate to some non-anglophones in my office how popular their names are in the UK. Whilst Yang works, surnames with more than one word don't.

(I also tried it with Le God Le Tissier).

My school burned down, which was a fairly grand thing.

Twice in fact.

No - but it reminds me of the Yeti Sports games. Fantastic!

I managed 744 ft firing at a really low angle (not the 45 degrees you learnt at A-level - then again that was always my problem with mechanics, it was the oversimplification of the models. Too much time was devoted to worrying about friction when really they should be considering trampolines, balloon bombs and venus fly traps.

Needless to say 744 ft was not my first attempt!

catintreeut9.jpgimg137850yg3.jpg

Sit Dangle in a tree and miaow!

The tree may not look very high but the cat has been stuck about 30ft up there since at least 5am when I was awoken by half a dozen crows screaming around her. There is no obvious route down the tree as the trunk has a slight twist and there are no branches.

If anyone is in South East London with a suitable set of mobile ladders, here is your chance to help out some unknown cat-owner.

RSPCA is alerted and are considering the options at the moment.

UPDATE: The RSPCA will do nothing for 24hours! :D:D

I'm not being flippant (well a bit), but perhaps they should read, 'Postman Pat, cat-in-a-tree party'.

I did recently, and the plot is based around the theory that if you leave a 'stuck' cat in a tree alone, it will eventually get down without any help. I am no expert, but leaving the cat alone for a bit and having tea and cake would seem the safer option, that tree looks tall.

I'm not being flippant (well a bit), but perhaps they should read, 'Postman Pat, cat-in-a-tree party'.

I did recently, and the plot is based around the theory that if you leave a 'stuck' cat in a tree alone, it will eventually get down without any help. I am no expert, but leaving the cat alone for a bit and having tea and cake would seem the safer option, that tree looks tall.

We're having some lunch in a few minutes! :D

This cat looks quite healthy and seems to be uninjured, so we're hoping that she'll find a way down.

I can see her from the front window and she has made a few attempts to head down but gives up every time and starts to wail. I think she's stuck! :D

There are no branches.

catintree2gh4.jpg

Guest Guest

I believe Ian Hislop put Greendale, Postman Pat and of course his black and white pussy into the televised version of Room 101. Are you reading this at the request of a ttG child or educating them on the myths of the British postal system i.e. that it works. Maybe the French do things better?

Captain Oats the cat must be cold and hungry by now :D

He's been up there for more than twelve hours now. He's wedged in a narrow fork in the tree-trunk so he (we think he, rather than she, having now studied him with binoculars) must be rather uncomfortable and in need of a sleep. Actually I think he may have cat-napped in the afternoon sunshine with his front legs dangling vertically down the tree!

img140240hy6.jpg

RSPCA have said they will ask the fire brigade to help, but nothing has happened yet and its starting to get dark.

We tried a few tree-surgeons, but they don't seem to answer their phones at the weekend. :D

He's been up there for more than twelve hours now. He's wedged in a narrow fork in the tree-trunk so he (we think he, rather than she, having now studied him with binoculars) must be rather uncomfortable and in need of a sleep. Actually I think he may have cat-napped in the afternoon sunshine with his front legs dangling vertically down the tree!

img140240hy6.jpg

RSPCA have said they will ask the fire brigade to help, but nothing has happened yet and its starting to get dark.

We tried a few tree-surgeons, but they don't seem to answer their phones at the weekend. :D

What a beautiful cat. I hope he's okay. I showed the picture to my cat (he's black & white,

broad in the beam, with a head the size of a grapefruit) as a warning but he was unimpressed

and went off to finish his 2nd breakfast.

Oh dear, I'm starting to be quite concerned about this anonymous cat now - I do hope there will be a happy ending. Couldn't he take a lesson from his furry cousin in

and just jump?

he must be getting a tummy ache by now :D

Oh dear, I'm starting to be quite concerned about this anonymous cat now - I do hope there will be a happy ending. Couldn't he take a lesson from his furry cousin in
and just jump?

We've been hoping all day that he would find his own way down, but there isn't really anywhere safe for him to land if he makes a such a dramatic descent as the cat in the video!.

he must be getting a tummy ache by now :D

And a sore throat!

The poor thing is still up there! I imagine he's stuck there for the night now! It's reasonably mild for the time of year but there's quite a breeze blowing. I only hope that he's as resilient as they all say cats are supposed to be!