Twelvetrees

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei

Rumored to be in "critical condition":

http://www.i24news.tv/en/news/international/middle-east/63285-150305-iran-s-khamenei-suffering-from-cancer-rumored-to-be-in-critical-condition

Refers to a report from important French daily newspaper Le Figaro from two days ago that said that the doctors give him "only" two years to live.

• Like 1

Looks like he was a good choice for my personal Deathlist.

• Like 1

My uncle had similar shit at 68 and was dead well inside of 18 months. Two years to me is an outrageous stretch. He's guaranteed DL should he get to 2016. It'll be close.

SC

He's rumoured to be dead.

Hope so :)

Well, maybe I spoke to soon.

His successor could be even more conservative.

IIsraeli news reports also saying Ayataollah Khamenei is dead. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/192270#.VPwAltKUdJ0 Israel usually know what theyre talking about so it's starting to look like it's true

Denials coming in with a report of a public appearance today

Pics of Khamenei holding up today's newspaper, or it didn't happen. B)

IIsraeli news reports also saying Ayataollah Khamenei is dead. http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/192270#.VPwAltKUdJ0 Israel usually know what theyre talking about so it's starting to look like it's true

Denials coming in with a report of a public appearance today

As I recall, Ayatollah Khomeini's body come tumbling out of his casket as it was carried by over zealous mourners; should this event repeat itself it's possible you are BOTH correct :-)

SC

• Like 1

I doubt they would hide his death.

People are always making up conspiracies that some dictator (e.g. Fidel Castro) died and the government of whatever country the dictator is from is hiding it.

Why would they hide it?

I mean, it's not like the public will believe the dictators are still alive 100 years after their death wasn't reported.

This is especially unlikely for current dictators like the Ayatollah.

They wouldn't hide it. They'd just announce 40 days of public mourning and anyone caught smiling would be sentenced to death.

I'd say a decent indication of the immenence of death is that the major news organisations aren't reporting the rumours, yet.

Surely on the way given the general no smoke without fire rule on this stuff. But the points are still just ouf of reach.

Shit. I'm in a 24 hour window where having just swopped him into my Rotten.com Deadpool team this morning, the last thing I need is for him to die today.

• Like 1

The timing would be pretty bad because of the ongoing negotiations with the USA on nuclear weapons. But then I guess there's never a good timing in the Middle East.

The timing would be pretty bad because of the ongoing negotiations with the USA on nuclear weapons. But then I guess there's never a good timing in the Middle East.

Yeah, and it's also worth noting that it's actually the civil government (the head of which is the president, Hassan Rouhani) that conducts these negotiations with the West. Of course, they needed the approval of the Supreme Leader, but the operative decisions and the talks are left to the civil government.

I guess if Khamenei finally passes away, the negotiations may be suspended for a few weeks (til he is buried, mourned and a new Supreme Leader is elected), but it's unlikely to result in a complete U-turn. Unless, of course, there's a successful coup...

Is his prostate cancer a fact or just a rumor?

I can't decide whether or not to add him to my cancer-themed DDP team.

Add him. It's not your job to be his physician and a local reporter.

Is his prostate cancer a fact or just a rumor?

I can't decide whether or not to add him to my cancer-themed DDP team.

The fact that he had prostate surgery seems to have been confirmed by Iranian government sources.

Iran's supreme leader has undergone prostate surgery at a government hospital in Tehran, state media said in a rare report on the state of health of 75-year-old Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. The official IRNA news agency said the operation, which was described as routine, was successful.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/08/iran-supreme-leader-ayatollah-ali-khamenei-prostate-surgery

I guess that means that he either had benign prostate hyperplasia or prostate cancer, with the latter being more likely. But don't get your hopes up yet, cause prostate cancer is a very common, and in most cases, treatable form of cancer.

The American Cancer Societys estimates for prostate cancer in the United States for 2015 are:

About 220,800 new cases of prostate cancer

About 27,540 deaths from prostate cancer

As for the rumour, he was claimed to have incurable, stage IV (metastatic) prostate cancer with an expected survival time of 2 years in 2014, but these reports (attributed to Western intelligence sources) were not confirmed (and are unlikely to be ever confirmed) by the Iranians. But then, Western intelligence sources thought there were WMDs in Iraq. Edited by GossipGabe

The reporting on his health does leave a bit to be desired...

There are reports of the demise of the spiritual leader of Iran

In a coma?. Someone updated his Wiki page to say that he's dead, but no news sources are reporting it yet. Another death rumour here.

Interesting article that speculates that the heavy publicising of the surgery is Iran's way of prepping the country, and the world for Ali's imminent demise.

Rumored to be in "critical condition":

IIsraeli news reports also saying Ayataollah Khamenei is dead.

There was a wikileaks about him having months left due to cancer in 2010 too. Boy who cried wolf at this point.

There was a wikileaks about him having months left due to cancer in 2010 too. Boy who cried wolf at this point.

And I've made many fruitless investments in him ever since. I really need to be more ruthless with the coffin dodgers.

And I've made many fruitless investments in him ever since. I really need to be more ruthless with the coffin dodgers.

He was one of the many chancers on the 2011 Deathlist (with Aretha Franklin and Michael Douglas) that I elected to stay away from. Mind you, I did fall into the Ryan Buell trap.

As far as I know, the original source of that "terminal cancer diagnosis" was the Israeli secret service (via Wikileaks cable). It could have been a planned leak, or even a fabrication, to weaken the Irani government. But at least the "terminal" part could be correct but it wouldn't necesarily matter, because then he'd just die with prostate cancer and not of it. The Netanyahu government isn't interested in peace with Iran so it's possible they repeatedly amplified Khamenei's possibly existing health troubles to destabilize diplomatic talks.

"Unconfirmed reports" that Khamenei has died around on Twitter amongst various Middle East policy wonks.

• Like 1

"Unconfirmed reports" that Khamenei has died around on Twitter amongst various Middle East policy wonks.

Hoax?

• Like 1