Crispy

Ronnie Biggs

Passed on!? - Buster Edwards topped himself.

If only Phil Collins was a method actor......

I never knew who else was in this 1963 train robbing gang? I find it hard to believe that Biggs is the only surviving member.

BBC case file makes it clear there were about 20 people in total involved. Can't believe all are dead after a mere 43 and a half years, most of them were young(ish) at the time.

The era of 1963 was a time of complete transformation in the world. You might walk down the block and see a few hippies, but then a man with a 50's haircut humming 50's songs. Biggs seems to be in the crowd of 'last of the non - hippi 60's era' which seems to be a very weird time. It was the rise of a whole different society and world. Sometimes I wonder when that time will come again, and if it does when will it be? A couple days ago a guess of mine became half right, Briitany Spears 'For those of you who don't know' is a none talented singer and woman who ruined her career by having kids very early. She got divorced like most holywood types, shaved her head. That's right she shaved her head! Now i've said this before i'm sure, a revelation I made was that women would be wearing their hair very short in the future. I hope Spears is a f****n screw job and completely delutional because if this is some new influential hair style for women, I won't be happy, and neither will any of the guys anywhere be happy. Audrey Hepburn short is one thing, she looked good that way, but this is tasteless and ugly. Usually I could care less about celebrity stunts, but it goes with my thought of advanced telivision, economy rising, more knowledge on the human mind, technology you couldn't believe in say the next thirty years. Although I hope this sudden attention grabbing move is proved to be a laugh and I hope that she is criticized and mocked for many years to come.

According to time magazine, ' Train Robbery of 1963' is the eighth greatest crime of all time. Failing health of Biggs hinted.

The 15 thieves who held up the Royal Mail train between Glasgow and London on Aug. 8, 1963 netted 120 bags packed with the equivalent of $7 million and were were treated like folk heroes by the press and public. Although the operation took all of 15 minutes, the caper was not as smooth as people remember it. It wasn't non-violent, for one thing (the driver of the train was conked in the head and never fully recovered from the trauma); nor was it as carefully executed (the thieves left fingerprints everywhere). The case has lived on in memory because of the further adventures of one of its minor players, Ronnie Biggs, whose escape from prison and long years of eluding justice were constant fodder for the British tabs. Readers were fascinated that a small-time hood could end up being part of the biggest heist in British history and be the only one to get away with it all. Biggs eventually gave himself up in 2001, returning voluntarily from Brazil to serve the 28 years remaining in his sentence. Despite pleas for leniency, Biggs, now 77, remains incarcerated and in failing health.

BBC case file makes it clear there were about 20 people in total involved. Can't believe all are dead after a mere 43 and a half years, most of them were young(ish) at the time.

Biggs isn't the last survivor. Where di you get that from, MPFC? Bruce Reynolds is still going strong, for a start - he appeared at a funeral last week. Looked a little gaunt, but otherwise okay.

Biggs isn't the last survivor. Where di you get that from, MPFC? Bruce Reynolds is still going strong, for a start - he appeared at a funeral last week. Looked a little gaunt, but otherwise okay.

Whose funeral?

You're hanging around with the wrong people OoO.... :referee:

Whose funeral?

You're hanging around with the wrong people OoO.... ;)

Joey Pyle.

Report and Pics at the website too.

I couldn't get the gallery link to work but I found some more pics here.

What puzzles me is that I can find no St Theresa's in Sutton! The nearest I can get to it is Our Lady of the Rosary which is twinned with St Theresa's in Malawi! But the pictures don't match.

There is a Parish of St Teresa's in neighbouring Morden, which has a school but no church!

:referee::(:blink:

Biggs will be in jail until 2010, but his lawyer says he'll be dead in a few months.

Believe what you will. I like mixing hope and skepticism personally.

Biggs will be in jail until 2010, but his lawyer says he'll be dead in a few months.

Believe what you will. I like mixing hope and skepticism personally.

is his lawyer just trying to get him out for health reasons? he's fine isn't he. we've all been duped. ba$tard lawyer.

"He cannot walk, talk, eat or go to the toilet. He is in a vegetative state.

Some mistake surely, if that were literally true they'd have to feed him through an IV and without excretions he'd - eventually - explode!

Lawyers man, spin doctors of the lowest rank.

According the the Beeb

Ronnie Biggs, one of the Great Train Robbers, has been transferred from Belmarsh on "compassionate grounds

Perhaps the end is nigh.

According the the Beeb

Ronnie Biggs, one of the Great Train Robbers, has been transferred from Belmarsh on "compassionate grounds

Perhaps the end is nigh.

Given his presence on a few of my deadpool teams I hope so. Then again, maybe it's an act of compassion to those caring for him at Belmarsh who need a break from all the waiting around!

Here's the link

My father can hardly walk, will never speak again, cannot eat, drink, read or write but he's still deemed a threat to society," he said.

Biggs - who also has MRSA, skin cancer and cataracts and needs 24-hour nursing care - has been held at Belmarsh, in South East London, since returning to the UK from Brazil in 2001.

Edit - more of a vague claim to fame really but my parents were in a bar/restaurant in Rio in the late 70s and he was there. (I was too young to remember)

Edited by Monoclinic

Guest Biggs yourself up!
Edit - more of a vague claim to fame really but my parents were in a bar/restaurant in Rio in the late 70s and he was there. (I was too young to remember)

Here is the relevant thread for your vague claim to fame.

Here is the relevant thread for your vague claim to fame.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Mr/Ms Anonymous, if you hadn't given yourself a name I'd have given the benefit of the doubt that you had forgotten to sign in. A little less pedanticism would go along way on this site I fear.

So as it appears customary to justify everything around these parts I skinned my cat in this way for two reasons. One it concerns Ronnie Biggs and two I could tag it on to the post I had just made seeing as it was a vague claim and not actually me grabbing my 15 minutes.

According the the Beeb

Perhaps the end is nigh.

This could be read two ways - if he was at death's door, would they transfer him? Or maybe that's the idea; they're planning that a move might provoke the end. After all, the mortality rate for old and ill people moved from their nursing homes is incredibly high.

A little less pedanticism would go along way on this site I fear.

Pedantry. ;)

A variation...

God forbid if I've used an Americanism.

A little less pedanticism would go along way on this site I fear.

Pedantry. ;)

A variation...

God forbid if I've used an Americanism.

Don't worry - you're safe. Pedantry is used in America. You won't be struck down by the European god regardless of how pedantic he/she is.

I reckon he's a goner soonish but......

Was talking to a couple of friends who work in the prison business who pointed out that his constant health problems are so high maintenance that the present development might owe something to his reduced security risk and a lot to the drain on budget of the hospital wing at Belmarsh.

Guest David
Good spot Crispy!

A spokesman apparently says:

"The initial diagnosis is a suspected heart attack with very heavy pneumonia" - Sounds like it could be a winning combination :huh:

Mike Reid's copped it. That's another one in the can.

Guest David
Is this guy ever going to turn up his toes?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3614522.stm

Shortly, I should think. They moved him back to hospital last week, or so I gather. I think they should let him go now. I mean what sort of threat can there be from an elderly man with a tube in his gut, who's paralysed, has had several strokes and heart attacks, can't speak and has had MRSA. Come on, Government - he's a weak old man in failing health - he's not gonna do anything. Let Ron out! Give the poor guy some freedom. Let's face it, it's over 40 years ago and it's not as if he's a murderer.

Guest David
i dont see why an elderly man who robbed a train many years ago who has lived abroad for ages needs to go to prison for life.

I quite agree and I certainly don't think they should leave a dying man in jail. Let Ron out!