Crispy

Ronnie Biggs

DDP's updated BTW. Catch yourself at the top of the table...

They're dropping like flies before the year;'s out (where's Donald!)

They're dropping like flies before the year;'s out (where's Donald!)

Joint 29th I'm happy with that

Guest Guest

Looking at The Great Train Robbery on BBC1 right now, and noticing what a relatively small part Ronnie Biggs played in it, Bruce Reynolds must have been really p***ed off at all the attention Ronnie got!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/great-train-robbery-meet-man-1980741

According to this article, there are "believed" to be only 3 great train robbers now left - Wisbey, Welch and Goody.

Question is then, what the bloody hell happened to the few that are unaccounted for? i.e. Daly, Jennings, White, Cordrey, Leonard Field and Wheater

Can only find death details for 8 thus far - Boal, Brian Field, Wilson, Edwards, James, Hussey, Reynolds and Biggs

Do we look for another ambassador?

I don't think there is anyone else who's mad enough... haha....

Seriously how do you replace a one-off? My view is we should just install Zsa Zsa as the new number one.

I don't suppose there's any chance this could be an elaborate hoax to maximise publicity for tonights show on BBC1 ? :mellow:

Unlikely, since when would Sky and other rival broadcasters help the BBC big up a drama?

Nobody said Sky was in on it though.

Sky ran it as a story whilst the BBC were still saying "reports of"

Seriously how do you replace a one-off? My view is we should just install Zsa Zsa as the new number one.

Zsa Zsa won't last that much longer, surely. Gazza is young and capable of recklessly endangering his life in a number of ways but also tragic and unlikely to embrace our adoption of him in the way Biggs did.

Keith Richards again? He was pissed off when he was dropped from our list.

Zsa Zsa won't last that much longer, surely. Gazza is young and capable of recklessly endangering his life in a number of ways but also tragic and unlikely to embrace our adoption of him in the way Biggs did.

Ooh fuck no, keep away from Gazza. I feel bad enough about just having put him on my list for this year, many people will be terribly saddened if he goes any time in the next few years. I mean, at least (Alex) Higgins made it to 60 and Best nearly did too. Gazza's still way too young to die.

Didn't know about Keith Richards....

Ron - as many of you may know - always enjoyed the Death List and those here who play it in the right spirit. He also made me promise that when he died I would post this message. His death was sudden, and he was in contact with Paul Bearer only a few days ago and was about to send Christmas Greetings to the site.

So over to Ron:

"You always did warn me that you would win in the end, so congratulations and thanks for your patience over these many years. I was honoured to be your ambassador and will miss you probably more than you will miss me. And if you ask, yes it was a life worth living, even with the regrets. i hope you all get as much out of life as I have. See you on the other side."

• Like 17

Thank you for delivering Ronnie's message, Critical Divide.

Even in his passing, only Ronnie could still have a cheeky word for us. He has provided us with some wonderful entertainment over the years, even though I'm sure his days have been hard going for a long time.

I hope he would appreciated the front page write up.

RIP Ronnie!

• Like 4

Someone send Keef a t-shirt...

• Like 1

Is this why the website was down yesterday? Most visitors since that scouse billiard player

Ron just checking on what he is meant to say "sorry" for. Not going to apologise for stuff the press invented about him.

And please, don't take Mrs Biggs to be factual. In episode one they could not even get the date and time of the Great Train Robbery right. Ron has no involvement with the series, but offered to check the facts, which was turned down by ITV. Like some members of Deathlist they think they know the facts of his life better than he does.

Ron has been enjoying the Paralympics and thinks in his wheelchair he could give wheelchair rugby a go in Rio in 2016. Stay tuned.

Are you Biggs son, close relative or a fraud ?

Critical Divide is the real deal representing Ron.

No one (except Ron and any other surviving members of the gang) knows who actually beat up Jack Mills and David Whitby. I'm sure CriticalDivide can confirm that.

Whatever happened to the other gang members anyway they dead or some still alive ? Very sad what happened to jack mills his life was ruined.

Out of the 17 people who got a share from the Great Train Robbery, 4 are dead, 3 were never caught, and the rest are believed to be alive (They might've faded into obscurity and died without anyone noticing.)

In Order of Importance:

Bruce Reynolds - Leader - Alive

Douglas "Gordon" Goody - Deputy - Alive

Charles F. Wilson - Treasurer - Died 1990

Ronald C. Edwards - Organizer - Died 1994

Brian A. Field - Informant and purchaser of gang's hideout - Died 1979

"Ulsterman" - Informant and organizer - Unknown

Roy James - Getaway Driver - Died 1997

John Daly - Train stopper - Alive

Bill Jennings - Carriage uncoupler - Alive

James E. White - Quartermaster and carriage uncoupler - Alive

"Alf Thomas" - Muscle - Unknown

Roger J. Cordrey - Train stopper and electronics expert - Alive

Bob Welch - Organizer and muscle - Alive

Thomas Whisbey - Muscle - Alive

James Hussey - Muscle - Alive

"Frank Munroe" - Muscle - Unknown

Ronnie Biggs - Found someone who could drive the train after the robbery - Alive (Barely)

It might be worth revisiting this list for DDP purposes. Douglas Goody will get a newspaper mention when he dies. He's been saying he will name the Ulsterman. That could be interesting. That article says John Daly died in May.

Ron just checking on what he is meant to say "sorry" for. Not going to apologise for stuff the press invented about him.

And please, don't take Mrs Biggs to be factual. In episode one they could not even get the date and time of the Great Train Robbery right. Ron has no involvement with the series, but offered to check the facts, which was turned down by ITV. Like some members of Deathlist they think they know the facts of his life better than he does.

Ron has been enjoying the Paralympics and thinks in his wheelchair he could give wheelchair rugby a go in Rio in 2016. Stay tuned.

Are you Biggs son, close relative or a fraud ?

Critical Divide is the real deal representing Ron.

No one (except Ron and any other surviving members of the gang) knows who actually beat up Jack Mills and David Whitby. I'm sure CriticalDivide can confirm that.

Whatever happened to the other gang members anyway they dead or some still alive ? Very sad what happened to jack mills his life was ruined.

Out of the 17 people who got a share from the Great Train Robbery, 4 are dead, 3 were never caught, and the rest are believed to be alive (They might've faded into obscurity and died without anyone noticing.)

In Order of Importance:

Bruce Reynolds - Leader - Alive

Douglas "Gordon" Goody - Deputy - Alive

Charles F. Wilson - Treasurer - Died 1990

Ronald C. Edwards - Organizer - Died 1994

Brian A. Field - Informant and purchaser of gang's hideout - Died 1979

"Ulsterman" - Informant and organizer - Unknown

Roy James - Getaway Driver - Died 1997

John Daly - Train stopper - Alive

Bill Jennings - Carriage uncoupler - Alive

James E. White - Quartermaster and carriage uncoupler - Alive

"Alf Thomas" - Muscle - Unknown

Roger J. Cordrey - Train stopper and electronics expert - Alive

Bob Welch - Organizer and muscle - Alive

Thomas Whisbey - Muscle - Alive

James Hussey - Muscle - Alive

"Frank Munroe" - Muscle - Unknown

Ronnie Biggs - Found someone who could drive the train after the robbery - Alive (Barely)

It might be worth revisiting this list for DDP purposes. Douglas Goody will get a newspaper mention when he dies. He's been saying he will name the Ulsterman. That could be interesting. That article says John Daly died in May.

Thames Valley Police website has interesting bios for all the robbers. All are marked as deceased bar Goody, Welch and Wisbey.

http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/aboutus/aboutus-museum/aboutus-museum-gtr/aboutus-museum-gtr-gang.htm

Many articles on the net state that Goody is "very ill". Perhaps a more justifiable replacement for Biggs?

Sadly in 2013 we lost not only Ron, but also Bruce Reynolds and John Daly. From the 16 who were at the track only Gordon Goody from Bruce's gang, and Thomas Wisbey and Bob Welch, both part of Roger Cordrey's South Coast Raiders, are alive. Of the three at the track who got away, I believe only one to be alive. Most of the key back room people are also dead.

BBC drama was exactly that. Drama, and not the facts. Bruce and Ron, along with the help of Nick Reynolds and myself have put all the facts about the robbery, or as much as we could!!!, in "The Great Train Robbery 50th Anniversary: 1963-2103". The bookazine actually covers from the birth of Billy Boal (who was not one of the robbers) in 1913, to the anniversary on 8 August 2013.

Despite how the Mail tried to portray it (which was crass by their low standards) the photo was actually Ron messing about with the friend who took the photo. It was Ron reacting to the photographer's football team, the scarf of which is around Ron's neck. Truth is so often more interesting than fiction!

PS: Love the Mail putting a copyright note on the photo when it will have been lifted from Facebook.

• Like 2

Sadly in 2013 we lost not only Ron, but also Bruce Reynolds and John Daly. From the 16 who were at the track only Gordon Goody from Bruce's gang, and Thomas Wisbey and Bob Welch, both part of Roger Cordrey's South Coast Raiders, are alive. Of the three at the track who got away, I believe only one to be alive. Most of the key back room people are also dead.

BBC drama was exactly that. Drama, and not the facts. Bruce and Ron, along with the help of Nick Reynolds and myself have put all the facts about the robbery, or as much as we could!!!, in "The Great Train Robbery 50th Anniversary: 1963-2103". The bookazine actually covers from the birth of Billy Boal (who was not one of the robbers) in 1913, to the anniversary on 8 August 2013.

Would you happen to know the name of the Ulsterman or anything about the health of the three surviving gang members? Did the survivor of the ones who got away manage to live well on his cut? Maybe that's beyond your ken but it'd be interesting to know how they're fairing.

Guest Alex

Delighted this creep has finally died. Good riddance

Guest Guest

I'm sure Ronnie would respect your opinion. I don't think he was under any illusion that he was a saint

Would you happen to know the name of the Ulsterman or anything about the health of the three surviving gang members? Did the survivor of the ones who got away manage to live well on his cut? Maybe that's beyond your ken but it'd be interesting to know how they're fairing.

The Ulsterman was a bit of a smoke screen and not really that important. Almost certainly dead. As far as I know at least two of the three are dead. Two were never touched, although they were known, as they handed half their share to the boys in blue to leave them alone. Which they did.