Sign in to follow this  
Worthing Paul

Simon Wiesenthal

If ever there was anyone that embodied the phrase 'eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth', it was Simon Wiesenthal.

Mind you, I bet he had less than satisfactory co-operation from the Yanks, they were quite keen to hang on to a few Nazis....

RIP Simon Wiesenthal.

Died today aged 96, that's a good age to reach.

On merit, by all accounts.

Thing is, I've been keeping my ear to the ground and made a few changes to my Rotten.com deadpool entry. I've now lept from from about position 9,000 odd to 5,310 tonight with my second hit in the first 20 days of my 10 name entry listing.

I've still got another 10 days to make any final changes. I'm thinking that my other eight names are all strong material.

Ronnie Biggs

Charlton Heston

John Kenneth Galbraith

Billy Graham

Gerald Ford

Tammy Faye Bakker

Ibrahim Rugova

Aaron Spelling

Any one disagree?

I've already got Liz Taylor, Lady Bird Johnson and Suharto on standby.

Simon Wiesenthal was the 10th hit of 2005.

Wiesenthal is the 135th deathlist hit since 1987

The 2005 deathlist is now in 3rd equal position with 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 out of 19 lists.

The 2005 deathlist is now in 3rd equal position with 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 out of 19 lists.

stop being a stats freak. ;)

Guest iain

on the stats front i can tell you that by this day ,september 20, in previous years the number of deathlist successes were as follows...

1988..unavailable

so as youi can see we're doing as well as we ever have by this time of year apart from 2003

No. 10, for Deathlist.

Good for us, not so good for Wiesenthal, but he was 96 after all.

And his work will live on.

stop being a stats freak. :sicktherm:

Yeah - sorry about that.

Its just something I tend to do. Makes me feel relevant even though the stats are truly not. :)

Controversial!

Found this on a goolge search.

Intrigued by windsor's latest choice of search engine, I thought I'd give it a go... unfortunately i was re-routed to google. :huh:

Has political correctness taken over the Deathlist site? Virtually everybody on the list is (was?) a significant person. And, when they go, we should be able, whilst bearing in mind the greatness of the person in question, to abstract ourselves from this and this always seems to have happened in the past. However, because this bloke was a Nazi Hunter everone appears to be treading very carefully.

Anyway, I am curious as to how he died. Did he leave the gas on?

However, because this bloke was a Nazi Hunter everone appears to be treading very carefully.

Anyway, I am curious as to how he died. Did he leave the gas on?

Hmmm...How many other people thought something like that but never had the guts to say it... You are right, it has all gone nicey nicey...

:huh:

thanks for those observations from two long time DL contributors. There's a difference between being PC and making positive comments about someone whom the vast preponderance of evidence suggests did something truly noble with his life. Pete Doherty, for example, seems a generally worthless individual whose moderate musical achievements are now being massively overwshadowed by his helping contribute to the temporary downfall of Kate Moss' otherwise very successful modelling career. Hence it seems fair enough to rip on him. But other than Nazi sympathizers, who out there doesn't support what Simon Wiesenthal achieved over the past 60 years?

And I'd hardly describe the "Deadline" selected for Mr. Wiesenthal (see DL homepage) as treading carefully.

Well put by Cowboy Ronnie there.

Contributors please note that lack of experience (as a very crude measure of understanding DL protocol) means that you are not worthy to contribute to DL on such matters. Hang on, there is some circular logic going on here!

I have to admit that all I know of Mr Wiesenthal has come from minor comments over the years to which I paid little or no attention. Therefore, I am in no position to judge his greatness. I'll leave that to people more in the know.

Well put by Cowboy Ronnie there. 

Contributors please note that lack of experience (as a very crude measure of understanding DL protocol) means that you are not worthy to contribute to DL on such matters.  Hang on, there is some circular logic going on here!

I have to admit that all I know of Mr Wiesenthal has come from minor comments over the years to which I paid little or no attention.  Therefore, I am in no position to judge his greatness.  I'll leave that to people more in the know.

Don't let him have a go at you - tasteless jokes are a great tradition of DL and I loved the gas gag.

Actually my Grandad died in Auschwitz. Fell out of his guard tower.

Cowboy Ronnie said: Pete Doherty, for example, seems a generally worthless individual whose moderate musical achievements are now being massively overwshadowed by his helping contribute to the temporary downfall of Kate Moss' otherwise very successful modelling career. Hence it seems fair enough to rip on him.

Maryport reckons: I've got deep respect for your posting Ronnie but I think you've greatly underestimated that coke-headed human twiglet's propensity to drag herself to ruin. The only thing that snivelling heap of human flotsam Doherty added was the ability to drag in the press and make the state of the pair of them obvious.

Was it to create celebrities like this - we ask ourselves - that Simon Weisenthal opposed facism in all its forms?