Crispy

Saddam Hussein

Would there be a call to put Saddam on the list for next year? He may be executed for his past actions?

• Like 1

i feel it is highly unlikely he will be put to death. besides a too easy way out for him. although could be assassinated.

god bless america - its o so great that "we got him!"

The guy was obviously not keen on going out on his shield or committing suicide. The Yanks will keep him secure until there's a fully functioning Iraqi judiciary set up, which looking at the mess the place is in at the moment, could take years. Saddam ain't a good candidate for next year in my opinion, though doubtless I will be proved wrong in the first week of the New Year!

• Like 1

Im not a big fan of the Saddam nomination either. That trial will take years and no guarantee of death at the end of it anyway. Pity because it would no doubt be a popular death.

Guest JimH

I'm not so sure. I suspect that the Americans are keen to hand him over to an Iraqi court because it is very likely to impose a death sentence (which would give them an excellent excuse for him not providing any more evidence for the non-existent roman candles) and they are also likely not to waste too much time about it.

If I were a betting man I would put a shilling on a hanging around about July 2004.

Apparently he is classed by the Americans as a Prisoner of War, which means only the Occupying Power (the US here) or and International Court (such as in The Hague) can try him. The latter doesn't allow the death penalty, and I can't see the Americans willing to turn him into a matyr. This apparently hasn't gone down too well with the Iraqis who would have like to try a little bit of new government justice of their own ... ;)

I heard the american government removed the phrase POW from the dictionary?

In any case, still think Saddam might try for the Fred Westy or Shipers ending, but odds are surely against him, as no doubt he is being watched by military police 24x7. He would need a techincal assist (stanley in a sara lee cake, black forest gateaux, that other log style ice cream thing etc.) or need to bide his time for many years.

If he is being mis-treated in jail, do you think Amnesty International will pick-up on his case and fight for justice?

If they do (and I know you were winking when you said it, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised) they will have seen their last check from me.

You're not American are you ?

Else I thought Amnesty were the ones doing the checking, not you :lol:

Now where's that cheque book ...

What's really funny about that is I originally typed "cheque", and then changed it because I thought it sounded pretentious coming from an American. I'm no anglophile, or anything like it (the royals really crack me up, though), I just realize that most of the DL'ers are Brits and I prefer to be understood.

Phew - thanks for explaining that Typhoid

I was worried you had a large pool of Czech volunteer workers who youd been sending to AI :lol:

Thought I'd share this email with you - no doubt it will hit your inbox sooner or later...

Good News - Saddam Hussein is facing the death penalty

Bad News - David Beckham is taking it!

I was worried you had a large pool of Czech volunteer workers who youd been sending to AI  :lol:

Sorry, Reaper, there's been a shortage of labour requirements over here, so I had to cancel those Czechs. ;)

Oops! Now I'm the one who forgot to log in after doing routine housekeeping...

Problem fixed - DWB

Sadly, I think there is more chance of the poor Iraqi judge the Americans have got trying Saddam, being killed in the near future.

At this point, and as an atypical "Yank", absolutely nothing the glazed over religious fanatics anywhere in the Middle East (or here in the states for that matter) would surprise me anymore.

Guest Theo

Could be this year.

One of Saddam's lawyers claims the ex-dictator has suffered a minor stroke and may die before his trial. This news was in today's Metro, but I haven't found it anywhere else, so how true this claim may be is debatable.

DWB :ghost6:

Yeah right.

Power mad dictator for 30 years.

Gets caught.

Suddenly has 'illness' .... hmm, its called the Pinochet defence, I believe.

I expect he'll live to a hundred (electric chairs/nooses*/firing squad/decapitation/etc not withstanding)

*is the plural of noose nooses ?

So he's played the Weapon of Mass Distraction card :ghost6:

Must have been reading Ernest Saunders/Nick Leeson biographies...

Guest Patrick

I did find this article which may make Saddam an even better candidate next year.

- Patrick

SADDAM'S 'STROKE'

Jul 28 2004

Ex-dictator's lawyer says he had brain scan and could die

Exclusive By Gary Jones In Amman, Jordan

SADDAM Hussein has suffered a minor stroke and could die before his trial, his defence lawyers claim.

The multinational legal team is still awaiting permission to visit the deposed Iraqi ruler.

A letter demanding their doctor be given access to the former dictator was yesterday sent by Jordanian lawyer Mohammed al-Rashdan to Salem Chalebi, the head of the Iraqi prosecuting authorities.

Mr al-Rashdan said: "Our information is that he's in very poor health. We understand from the International Committee of the Red Cross that our client has had a brain scan to discover how badly he has been affected by the stroke. We believe he could die because of his health problems.

"We also think an attempt may be made on his life.

"We're very worried that we won't have a client to defend." He added: "Under the Geneva Convention we're entitled to have access to our client. But all our requests have been ignored."

In a form letter delivered by the Red Cross in January to his wife Sajida, living in Qatar, Saddam put a cross in boxes for "good health" and "slightly wounded".

"His finger appears to have been wounded, possibly by gunshot, when he was captured," said Mr Rashdan. "But we believe his health has deteriorated.

"We believe any trial could be months, if not years away - I think Bush and Blair would be happier if he died from ill health."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/tm_ob...-name_page.html

Ex-dictator's lawyer says he had brain scan and could die
SADDAM Hussein has suffered a minor stroke and could die before his trial, his defence lawyers claim

Note its the defence that claim this !

I think Bush and Blair would be happier if he died from ill health.

Does the CIA know any good poisons for simulating strokes ? :ghost6:

• Like 1