Crispy

Saddam Hussein

I for one would be lost if Phantom did not keep us up to date on this matter. I greatly appreciate the fact that someone cares enough to give this information even though they don't seem to care to divulge as much info on that barbaric Tariq Aziz fellow who I suspect was the mastermind behind Saddy being captured in the first place.

So what about it Phantom? Can you tell us more about Tariq?

For some reason the news has been pretty quiet about Aziz, I tried yesterday to find a latest story about him, but all I could find was a photo from a couple of months back where he looked a bit pale.

To be honest I was surprised that a new trial had started up, I though the one that ended a couple of weeks ago and the verdict was to be delivered some time in October was the end of it for a while.

I'm at work at the moment so when I next get a spare 5 minutes, I'll have a dig around to see if I can find anything

I'm at work at the moment so when I next get a spare 5 minutes, I'll have a dig around to see if I can find anything

What, like WMD's behind the filing cabinet? Be a good chap and let the Tony and George show know if you come up with anything, won't you?

Saw on a news web site the other day that the Iraqi government gave the go-ahead to past and enact the death sentences of 27 inmates at the Abu-Ghabe prison. So, if they are bent on getting rid of their undesirables then Saddam and others on trial look like they are not long for this world.

Next question needs to asked - should be at least 50/50 bet for execution within the next 12 months? I somehow think so.

We have to wait until sometime in October for the verdict of his first trial. If he is sentenced to death and the sentence is carried out berfore the end of the year then he gets scrapped from my sweepstake dead pool as no-one who is on death row or has a scheduled date of execution can be chosen

Proof that Saddam watches "The Kids in The Hall"

"Congratulations! you are in a cage, Saddam," witness Ghafour Hassan Abdullah said as he stared at the ousted president. Hussein later lashed out at "agents of Iran and Zionism" in the courtroom and vowed to "crush your heads."

Witness faces Saddam once again

Judge says Saddam 'not dictator'

Saddam Hussein asked the 57-year-old witness: "Why did you try to meet me when you knew I was a dictator?"

"You were not a dictator. People around you made you [look like] a dictator," the judge said.

Saddam's trial judge 'replaced'

The judge in charge of Saddam Hussein's genocide trial is to be replaced, Iraqi state TV has reported

Don't you just love a fair trial?

Then again, thats American justice for you.

Would anyone like to hazard a guess as to when he might actually be executed?

I'd take a guess at sometime in February.

Not sure when this trial is meant to end and he's due to hear his sentence from the first trial sometime next month.

If he was facing trial in England, I think the standard punishment for genocide is 500 hours of community service and a 2,000 GBP fine

Not sure when this trial is meant to end and he's due to hear his sentence from the first trial sometime next month.

If he was facing trial in England, I think the standard punishment for genocide is 500 hours of community service and a 2,000 GBP fine

I still say we should have tried him in Texas.

28th March 2007 at 0800 hrs. Although as he's on my DDP team I rather hope he dies this year, but I don't think he will. <_<

Saddam's trial judge 'replaced'

The judge in charge of Saddam Hussein's genocide trial is to be replaced, Iraqi state TV has reported

Don't you just love a fair trial?

Then again, thats American justice for you.

W- This is not American justice, it's Iraqi justice. Our system gives solid rights to accused wrong doers. Although I agree that Saddam will not get a fair trial, I don't think he deserves one either. Another consideration is that you Brits are involved in this fiasco also.

I still say we should have tried him in Texas.

Yeah. Then he could feature in the 2028 deathlist.

Saddam verdict could be delayed for some days

BAGHDAD, Oct 29 (Reuters) - A court trying Saddam Hussein for the killing of Shi'ites in the 1980s could delay delivering a verdict, due Nov 5th, for a few days to give judges more time to review testimonies, the chief prosecutor said

Saddam's got the death sentence - as has Awad Hama Badar Albandar and Barzan Ibrahim Al-Hasan Al-Tikriti, all three to be hanged - next question is when? Its 30 days for all appeals to be heard, so it looks a close call for those like me who are waiting for points this year.

Excellent.

I assume Messrs Bush and Blair will be next in line for the firing squad, having killed slightly more people probably more horribly and senselessly than Saddam ever did. Admittedly they were only foreigners though.

Saddam's got the death sentence - as has Awad Hama Badar Albandar and Barzan Ibrahim Al-Hasan Al-Tiriti, all three to be hanged - next question is when? Its 30 days for all appeals to be heard, so it looks a close call for those like me who are waiting for points this year.

A former defence team member, who knows Saddam well, has just said on BBC News (live coverage of the trial) that he believes there is a good chance that Saddam (69) will die of natural causes/health problems before the death sentence can be carried out!

Saddam's got the death sentence - as has Awad Hama Badar Albandar and Barzan Ibrahim Al-Hasan Al-Tiriti, all three to be hanged - next question is when? Its 30 days for all appeals to be heard, so it looks a close call for those like me who are waiting for points this year.

No, it's not quite 30 days from now.

In Iraqi law, guilty verdicts on murder charges are automatically sent within 10 days to a nine-judge appellate chamber, no matter who the defendant is. It can take as little as 20 days for the appeal to be heard. If a death sentence is upheld, it must be carried out within 30 days, and Iraq's tripartite presidency must sign the execution papers.

It is also unclear whether Saddam can be executed before the Anfal trial concludes.

What with all the delays so far in this circus, I don't think anyone who's picked any of these guys in 2006, will get points, unless, of course, they do a Hermann Goering & cheat the gallows.

If they don't, everyone has 3 candidates at the top of their DDP list for 2007.