Crispy

Saddam Hussein

Any videos of the latest hangings avaiable yet? I wonder if they were done separately or together side by side (for company).

Saddam's half brother lost his head to the noose. I doubt videos were made this time after what happened to Saddam.

Canadian Paul: Who didn't see that coming... <_<

Any videos of the latest hangings avaiable yet? I wonder if they were done separately or together side by side (for company).

Saddam's half brother lost his head to the noose. I doubt videos were made this time after what happened to Saddam.

Canadian Paul: Who didn't see that coming... :)

Lost his head? Literally? (I believe this can happen if the "drop" is too long)

EDIT: Just found this link

Lost his head? Literally? (I believe this can happen if the "drop" is too long)

A famous example was Tom Ketchum, who was hanged in New Mexico in 1901. A vague photograph can be found on his Wikipedia entry.

It seems the executioner doesn't read English.

regards,

Hein

When I heard that he was decapitated, I thought he must be the fat one. That would make sense.

But no, he is the old looking skinny one.

Must have been disgusting to watch - he was pulled apart so there may have been wind pipe etc hanging from the head.

Nasty business...

These two were on my Rotten Ali Shadow list - I think I'm winning but not sure...

(I'll probably be accused of cheating for not having my list up on the stroke of midnight on the 1st but oh well).

Must have been disgusting to watch - he was pulled apart so there may have been wind pipe etc hanging from the head.

I bet you'd love to see a video though :)

Well - just like Saddam's video I suppose. I didn't really want to watch it but felt I had to. :P

Well - just like Saddam's video I suppose. I didn't really want to watch it but felt I had to. :P

I felt exactly the same....

Fascinating link, Lady Die! Hanging, beheading, shooting, electrocution, lethal injection, gassing, burning at the stake, etc, all of which I didn't want to know about but just had to read! Hanging turns out to be quite civilised compared to what can happen with other methods of execution, if execution can ever be described as civilised!

For everyone who picked those two Iraqis who are so famous that even after being executed no one can name them, an award from the DL Committee......

tree.gif

For everyone who picked those two Iraqis who are so famous that even after being executed no one can name them, an award from the DL Committee......

tree.gif

Here here, where's the fun in picking nailed on candidates... :)

Here here, where's the fun in picking nailed on candidates... :)

What, like Jesus?

When I heard that he was decapitated, I thought he must be the fat one. That would make sense.

Nasty business...

Mr Pierrepoint will be spinning in his grave, believe me. :)

I only picked Barzan al-Tikriti, and I don't feel at all bad for several reasons.

1. I knew who he was before he was sentenced to death.

2. I didn't pick al-Bandar nor a certain cancer-stricken 16 year old.

3. I am destined for mid-table obscurity with or without him on my list, and I will be tipping my hat when a person who selected none of the above three won.

4. After Sadaam's execution, the other ones were not in any way a sure thing (according to CNN, even the two who were executed were surprised).

5. After No Noose is Good News picked only execution victims, I'd have to personally shoot someone on my list to feel like a bigger cheater.

Because I'm sure that you all care and that you're all open-minded deadpoolers who will accept other people's opinions and would never bring oneself down to the level of using racial slurs when not winning an argument. :)

I only picked Barzan al-Tikriti, and I don't feel at all bad for several reasons.

1. I knew who he was before he was sentenced to death.

2. I didn't pick al-Bandar nor a certain cancer-stricken 16 year old.

3. I am destined for mid-table obscurity with or without him on my list, and I will be tipping my hat when a person who selected none of the above three won.

4. After Sadaam's execution, the other ones were not in any way a sure thing (according to CNN, even the two who were executed were surprised).

5. After No Noose is Good News picked only execution victims, I'd have to personally shoot someone on my list to feel like a bigger cheater.

Well, that more or less sums up how I feel. I first heard of Barzan years back, and after a couple of good years, I think that point 3. is likely to happen for me this year.

I was going to post some thoughts, but then saw CP's post and it was one of the first on here that made sense. (quite rare, too :P )

My team is somewhat of a mistake, as there isn't too much uniqueness about it - maybe a few big names off it but most of it is run-of-the-mill stuff, but it's in & done now. Already I've decided, what with other commitments that make DL & DP'ing really not that important, that 2008 will likely be more a case of naming a few very ill people and bung in a few extra names out of the hat for fun & see what happens.

Ultimately though, I can't say todays events have meant any great jubilation. But I was damned if I picked them, and damned if I didn't (especially as I didn't choose J Grove), so....

I agree with Banshees though (another rarity :) ), I certainly won't be congratulating anyone for picking them, and I, too, hope the winner of DDP 2007 is someone who hasn't picked either of them or J Grove.

What, like Jesus?

If you were a living jew in the time of Christ, and you had a list, i'm sure it would hit the floor.

What, like Jesus?

If you were a living jew in the time of Christ, and you had a list, i'm sure it would hit the floor.

Banshees, do you ever wonder what you're talking about?

What, like Jesus?

If you were a living jew in the time of Christ - (You lived in 1000)

And you had a list - A Deathlist (Any idiot would know that)

i'm sure it would hit the floor - (A long list, St.Peter, Mary Magdalene, Ex)

Nasty business...

Mr Pierrepoint will be spinning in his grave, believe me. :)

Indeed. Neither Henry, Thomas or Albert Pierrepoint lost a victim by decapitation.

The Americans did experience a few mishaps executing Nazis in Germany in 1945. The U.S army's hangman Master-Sergeant John C. Woods used a standard six feet drop for all of his victims rather than the Pierreopoint technique of tailoring the length of the drop to the victim's weight.

He was in charge when Julius Streicher, editor of the racist newspaper Der Sturmer, went through the trapdoor. His neck didn't break and it is rumoured he had to be physically strangled by two men swinging on his ankles.

According to Stanley Tilles who assisted Woods at Nuremberg, he bungled the executions on purpose. In the case of Streicher:

“Woods applied the hood and Streicher, knowing he would live only moments more softy said, “Adele, my dear wife.” Woods adjusted the noose, but placed its coils off center, so it would not snap Streichers neck and he would strangle. I realized instantly that this was Woods attend and I saw a small smile cross his lips as he pulled the hangmans handle.” (Tilles: By The Neck Until Dead. Gallows of Nuremberg)

I also recall reading that a Field Marshall's nose was sliced off when he hit the edge of the trap on the way down.

Hangman Woods (who was Jewish) hanged a total of 347 Nazis and was said to enjoy his job a great deal.

Jack Ketchum, who was mentioned by Hein earlier, met his death very bravely. He smoked a cigar on the way to the gallows and mocked the attending priest, telling him not to bother with his prayers "Because I'll be in Hell before breakfast"

I'm no religious expert, but I thought "the time of Christ" was a few years before 1,000 AD. Like a thousand years or so.

Perhaps Eileen could pop back in and clear this up for us?

I'm no religious expert, but I thought "the time of Christ" was a few years before 1,000 AD. Like a thousand years or so.

I wasn't sure myself, but what the hell. Experts don't even know for sure when Jesus died. So it's good enough.

I wasn't sure myself, but what the hell. Experts don't even know for sure when Jesus died. So it's good enough.

You think a thousand years out is close enough? I was going to add more, but I'll leave it at that?

29 AD, I always thought.

So, you're only out by oh.. 971 years....

What, like Jesus?

And you had a list - A Deathlist (Any idiot would know that)

i'm sure it would hit the floor - (A long list, St.Peter, Mary Magdalene, Ex)

Leaving aside the date gaff, I wonder if those who added the disciples to their lists for AD30/31/32, say, would be accused of cheating. Going on a few years I bet there would have been Roman deadpoolers who just ran off lists of Christian notables ahead of the Roman "games".

PS. I thought there was some consensus around Jesus being about 33 when he died.

I wonder also if there have been any times in history when deathlisting would have been comparatively easy. Just ahead of Stalin a purge perhaps, but would they have had obits?

There could have been some big hits in 1916.