Death Star

Ernest Gallo

Sorry to be a pedant but I can't find this covered in the news anywhere......

I cringe when I see a bottle of Ernest and Julio Gallo wine, it's hardly the best stuff in the world, and they

were responsible for Thunderbirds, oh how that takes me back to a misspent youth...

I'd put Thunderbird in the same category as retsina, pepper vodka and reisling as the most disgusting things I ever drank.

Oh, and Sunny Delight.

Reislings are much maligned, it is the whitest of the white grapes and the latest crops of Reislings are quite good.

I cringe when I see a bottle of Ernest and Julio Gallo wine, it's hardly the best stuff in the world, and they

were responsible for Thunderbirds, oh how that takes me back to a misspent youth...

I'd put Thunderbird in the same category as retsina, pepper vodka and reisling as the most disgusting things I ever drank.

Oh, and Sunny Delight.

Reislings are much maligned, it is the whitest of the white grapes and the latest crops of Reislings are quite good.

...but Rheingau Riesling is delicious!

Yes, I know. Delicious wine is off-topic! :birthday2:

I was beginning to think that 2007 would be a quiet year... mind you it is only one I suppose. The first of many though.......

Oh, and Sunny Delight.

...but Rheingau Riesling is delicious!

Yes, I know. Delicious wine is off-topic! :birthday2:

As can be Alsace Reisling.

I don't mind Riesling, though it's not my favourite wine.

And I quite like pepper vodka too, actually. :birthday2:

My husband has worked for the winery for 28 years, and I've had the honor of meeting both brothers, Ernest and Julio, in addition to many of the fine second AND third generations who are also in the industry. What a phenomenal family! I shall pray for his soul as it rests and works in Purgatory (only all you good Catholics out there would understand).

Purgatory is no longer Catholic doctrine. Catch up.

I liked most everything except straight tequila. Made me hurl.

That could be why I don't drink any of it anymore...... :birthday2:

<<snippage of wanton gushing>> I shall pray for his soul as it rests and works in Purgatory (only all you good Catholics out there would understand).

Wouldn't the bad Catholics have the best understanding of Purgatory?

Inventor of Thunderbird?

The man is a hero in my eyes - right up there with the inventor of Special Brew.

Well done DL & anyone who picked him for a DP.

Funny, he would've died about the same time I was looking for a bottle of wine in the supermarket last night. I looked at it and thought "Well, he's still alive." :)

I didn't choose that wine, you will be pleased to hear.

So two Gallo brothers gone in about two weeks. Still they can save time on the funeral expenses & bung them both in together.

Noticed on Google news there's only American obits.Anyone seen a British one yet? Actully there is one on BBC world service, sort of British.

Noticed on Google news there's only American obits.Anyone seen a British one yet? Actully there is one on BBC world service, sort of British.

There was a story about Gallo dying in this morning's Metro. I don't think it gets more egalitarian than that.

We've waited almost three months of our first success of 2007 and it has to be someone I've never even heard off.

Couldn't find any reports about him the the press or news bulletins either. Having said all that he might have been sidelined by the death of John Inman.

The British media are so fickle. Do we report on an ancient Californian wine producer who no one in Britain (apart from wine experts) has heard off or everyones favourite gay salesman? Hummm... tough choice.

We've waited almost three months of our first success of 2007 and it has to be someone I've never even heard off.

Couldn't find any reports about him the the press or news bulletins either. Having said all that he might have been sidelined by the death of John Inman.

The British media are so fickle. Do we report on an ancient Californian wine producer who no one in Britain (apart from wine experts) has heard off or everyones favourite gay salesman? Hummm... tough choice.

I would have to disagree that only wine experts knew about him; any self-respecting oenologist would revere Ernest Gallo in the same way that your average Michelin-starred chef would revere Ronald McDonald. Or Jamie Oliver.

Mister Gallo's products have long been aimed at the 'sloshed for a fiver' market rather than the dinner table or the tasting rooms. If his wines had ever found their way into the latter, I suspect that they would have bypassed the assembled mouths and been poured straight into the spittoons.

As for Mister Humphreys, a recent television interview with the writers suggested that he was not gay - merely 'flamboyant'. As flamboyant as a ten bob note in my opinion.

I would have to disagree that only wine experts knew about him; any self-respecting oenologist would revere Ernest Gallo in the same way that your average Michelin-starred chef would revere Ronald McDonald. Or Jamie Oliver.

Mister Gallo's products have long been aimed at the 'sloshed for a fiver' market rather than the dinner table or the tasting rooms. If his wines had ever found their way into the latter, I suspect that they would have bypassed the assembled mouths and been poured straight into the spittoons.

As for Mister Humphreys, a recent television interview with the writers suggested that he was not gay - merely 'flamboyant'. As flamboyant as a ten bob note in my opinion.

See I told you I hadn't heard of him :lol: So I take it his wines were aimed at the bottom end of the market, footballers and their wives etc.

I read that reort about Inman being flamboyant. I also read that he never played Mr. Humphreys as 'gay'.

And I'm the Pope. :D

So I take it his wines were aimed at the bottom end of the market, footballers and their wives etc.
More the bottom end of the price market, rather than the bottom of the gene pool. :lol:

Footballers probably go the other way and pay for hugely expensive wine & champagne because it has a designer label, even if they can't taste the difference between cheap and pricey. Also, they can't be photographed with a bottle of Blue Nun on their table can they? :D Not that anyone should be seen with a bottle of the stuff, to be fair.

To give them their dues they are not quite at the student end of "bottom of the market".

A good friend of mine (who incidently studied maths) had a formula we used to stick too when purchasing our pre-club aperatif. The elegance is in its simplicity. "Price per volume". It tended to be the £2.49 deal of the week at Jamie Oliver's favourite supermarket chain. Lambrusco and all those under £2 were instantly ruled out as being below 12%, which was the number to aim above.

Believe me, that was a step forward. Before uni it was always the generic cinzano and martini that won through at around 15%. Coming from Hampshire one drank this neat from the bottle of course, as one must have standards. You just can't buy class. :lol:

I think I found the definitive word on the quality of Gallo Wines in my pocket today. I pulled out the receipt for the $7.00 (3.5 pound) bottle I bought and noticed that attached was a coupon for $4.00 (2 pounds) off my next purchase of Gallo Wine. Effectively, they believe that in order to entice me to buy it again, they'll have to pay for more than half of my next bottle.

Well they're wrong.

I'll really need them to pay for the whole bottle, along with another beverage so that I can chase it down.

I think I found the definitive word on the quality of Gallo Wines in my pocket today. I pulled out the receipt for the $7.00 (3.5 pound) bottle I bought and noticed that attached was a coupon for $4.00 (2 pounds) off my next purchase of Gallo Wine. Effectively, they believe that in order to entice me to buy it again, they'll have to pay for more than half of my next bottle.

Well they're wrong.

I'll really need them to pay for the whole bottle, along with another beverage so that I can chase it down.

Can we introduce a 'yawn' emoticon?

I was just looking and their doesn't seem to be one...

Guest Taras

Ernest Gallo. Sadly i've never heard of him until he was dead. Oh dear!!!! :lol:

I wonder if the death of Ernest will actually be beneficial over the short term to the sales of their p#ss as everyone will be wanting to try it to find out how bad it actually is?

Well they're wrong.

Can we introduce a 'yawn' emoticon?

I was just looking and their doesn't seem to be one...

yawn-715813.jpg