Sign in to follow this  
Guest elliott mickelson

Artie Shaw

Guest elliott mickelson

This is an outrage! The great clarinetist who put down the instrument at his peak, never to play again. I hope it's not his time since i've bet against it at terribly short odds.

Can you clarify, please? Do you consider it an outrage that he quit playing at the peak of his career, or that you got short odds on his demise?

Guest e

that he is on the deathlist, which, to be fair, is very amusing.

Unless I am badly mistaken - its DDP victory for the DL.net team - Hurrah!!!! :ghost:

Guest Banshees Scream

just when u would never exspect anyone to pop off it just goes to show it happens its really hard to exsplain but i had a real big feeling artie shaw was going to die in december of this month idk why. But it gives the Dl 2004 number 12.. it seems to go up every year iam sure next year will be a clean out year aswell as this year and last year. ........let 05 begin

A nice way to round out the year, especially when it looked like we were not going to get number 12. Good job guys and congratulations for the 2004 selections.

ff

:ghost: Anubis, I don't know what I'd do for titles of DDP mails if it wasn't for you!

12 deaths-good job guys. may 2005 bring more success.

Trying to do a spot of DL admin here. Anyone stumble across the cause of death for Artie? I can only find "cause of death not reported/given" everywhere.

Does the following from MSN News help?

Shaw had long suffered from adult onset diabetes and likely died of complications of the disease, said Larry Rose, his personal assistant since 1993. “He just reached a point where he was tired of fighting. He wasn’t able to really enjoy life anymore,” Rose said.

On another site it was mentioned, rather unconvincingly that he had died of natural causes.

DWB :shoot2:

Having a quick look around as well, I came across this snippet from blog of death

In his 90s, Shaw penned his own epitaph for "Who's Who in America": "He did the best he could with the material at hand." He later edited it down to two words: "Go away."

As far as the question of "Cause of Death", everywhere I read said natural causes.

As far as the question of "Cause of Death", everywhere I read said natural causes.

Maybe it was natural old age

Dying of "natural causes" always strikes me as being a bit of a bizzare term.

If I were to insert a rather large sword into my abdomen, then naturally, I would expect the cause (bloody great sword) and effect (dying) to follow one another. Naturally.

So, to my way of thinking, any action stupid enough to cause your own death, should be recorded as "natural causes."

The Darwin Awards spring to mind: Chevvy Impala/JATO unit/cliff face = Death by natural causes, for example.

...A bit off topic I know, so I'll... uhm... oh never mind...

Gentlemen, looks like I'll have to get my mass spectrometer out for this case and check my slides.

As an aside, and in welcoming our new member, did you know that Quincy is one of a handful of TV characters whose first name we never find out?

Doctor Quincy!

Hi Teddy

That's a good question that I am always getting asked by my fans. I can tell you that my first name is Doctor.

If you give me your mailing address I can send you a signed photograph.

The Darwin Awards spring to mind: Chevvy Impala/JATO unit/cliff face = Death by natural causes, for example.

Y'know, that story isn't true ...

Brrmmm Brrmmm

It's the way you tell 'em ...

True Story:

The Arizona Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering metal embedded into the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The lab finally figured out what it was and what had happened. It seems that Paul Queroli had somehow gotten hold of a JATO unit (Jet Assisted Take Off - actually a solid fuel rocket) that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra "push" for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. Then he attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, got up some speed and fired off the JATO! The facts as best as could be determined are that the operator of the 1967 Impala hit JATO ignition at a distance of approximately 3.0 miles from the crash site. This was established by the prominent scorched and melted asphalt at that location. The JATO, if operating properly, would have reached maximum thrust within 5 seconds, causing the Chevy to reach speeds well in excess of 350 mph and continuing at full power for an additional 20-25 seconds. The driver, soon to be pilot, most likely would have experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners, basically causing him to become insignificant for the remainder of the event. However, the automobile remained on the straight highway for about 2.5 miles (15-20) seconds before the driver applied and completely melted the brakes, blowing the tires and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface, then becoming airborne for an additional 1.4 miles and impacting the cliff face at a height of 125 feet leaving a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock. Most of the driver's remains were not recoverable; however, small fragments of bone, teeth and hair were extracted from the crater and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Brrmmm Brrmmm

After suffering some turbulence on his flight to the afterlife, he celebrated the beginning of his demise with a big bang! :blink:

Yeah I know.

Snopes.com makes a great reference site.

..still a good story though :blink: