Death Star

Albert Hofmann

Guest deathray

Lets hope he ends on a high! :blink:

Guest Guest
There shouldn't be a second U in humor, It's un-Ameracun.

:blink: There bloody well should mate, innit?

Albert Hofmann at his 98th birthday party, last year. He looked in better nick then than, say, Gerald Ford looks now.

EDIT : Here is a link to a (fairly lengthy) discussion including the voice of AH on his 99th birthday. Memory slow but marbles intact.

Thanks for that link Captain Oates. Albert Hofmann is one of my 2005 ddp picks :) , but from that picture, he definitely looked like he has a few years left in him. I now expect for him to live to his 100th birthday.

Regards,

ff :)

AlbertHofmann.jpg

Now compare that one to this, taken in 2006. He's aged terribly over the past year or two. No news on his health, but it might be prudent to start watching him seriously. Even healthy people like Hofmann often degenerate rapidly once they hit their centenary.

Now compare that one to this, taken in 2006. He's aged terribly over the past year or two. No news on his health, but it might be prudent to start watching him seriously. Even healthy people like Hofmann often degenerate rapidly once they hit their centenary.

Maybe a little histronical, Paulie, as he still looks a very healthy old man. If anything, losing a bit of weight can't hurt. For the DDP, I don't think it's worth adding him on any list. The DL never listens to my suggestions anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter if I say he should be taken off the list next year. :)

Maybe a little histronical, Paulie, as he still looks a very healthy old man. If anything, losing a bit of weight can't hurt. For the DDP, I don't think it's worth adding him on any list. The DL never listens to my suggestions anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter if I say he should be taken off the list next year. :)

Haha. Don't get me wrong, I'm not rushing to put him on my upcoming RDP, I guess I'm just noticing that, for the first time, he's actually showing his age. Maybe not as bad of a choice this year as I thought though.

Guest cashox

how do people actually get on the deathlist ?

Guest guest
how do people actually get on the deathlist ?

Well they're picked by the people who run the Deathlist website each year. I'm guessing Hofmann was picked the first time for his age(and being notable enough to be on Deathlist) and it stayed that way, as he turned 96 in 2002, the first year he was picked. The majority of people who've been selected from a certain age tend to stick to being on the list until their death.

While waiting for a report on the life Ingmar Bergman on the CBC News the other night (they wouldn't even mention that he was dead until 45 minutes into the program), I caught a documentary on LSD use and its benefits for terminal patients. The most important segment for DL purposes was a clip they showed of Albert Hofmann's 100th birthday symposium. He looked no more than 80 and spoke clearly and lucidly (or at least I think so, I don't speak German). The only problem he had was that he needed those special crutches to walk (think the nerdy guy from There's Something About Mary). Otherwise, good enough shape to sit in front of a huge crowd and discuss the benefits of LSD.

Right, I would consider LSD's father a guy who might still have some time left to borrow. A brilliant mind. God bless you.

0610-02st_hofmann100.jpg

Guest shaylani

i thought timothy leary was the founder of LSD?

i thought timothy leary was the founder of LSD?

He was certainly one of, if not the greatest advocate of it.

200798.1.jpg

One place Leary pissed on Hofman, he made much better albums. I'll confess to owning 'You Can Be Anyone.....' gloriously demented and trippy!

Right I would consider LSD's father a guy who might still have some time left to borrow. A brilliant mind. God bless you.

0610-02st_hofmann100.jpg

What's Paul McKenna doing in this thread?

Right I would consider LSD's father a guy who might still have some time left to borrow. A brilliant mind. God bless you.

0610-02st_hofmann100.jpg

What's Paul McKenna doing in this thread?

<_<:rip::lol:

Guest future
We'll have to wait and see. Hofmann is 103 (i.e. he's lived beyond 102) on January 11th 2009.

Well, technically he will have lived beyond 102 on January 12, 2008...

(or a few moments past whatever time on Jan 11 he was born, I guess)

Several forums, such as this and this, say that Albert's wife, Anita, died on December 20, 2007. I don't know if it's true, as I don't see any news sources, but if she is in fact dead, I wonder what will happen to Albert.

Several forums, such as this and this, say that Albert's wife, Anita, died on December 20, 2007. I don't know if it's true, as I don't see any news sources, but if she is in fact dead, I wonder what will happen to Albert.

Well, this German report on Hofmann's 102nd also notes the death of Anita, and this seems to be a more trustworthy source.

Is he with it enough to care? I have no idea of his mental condition.

Guest Guest

hE is scheduled to speak at the World Psychedelic Forum in Mars 2008

I didn't think they did any passenger trips to Mars yet.

Are you sure it's not in March?

I think that should read "in March", although "on Mars" would probably be equally valid, given enough drugs....

Psychedelic Forum Speakers

Edit: If I wasn't half way there already, would have beaten Phantom to the joke :banghead:

Guest Guest_DAVE_*

He wont make it Im afraid :)

He wont make it Im afraid :)

Why? Know something we don't?

I'm new here, but having looked at the list, I think anyone over 100 should be exempted, there isn't really a challenge in putting them on the list. I say if they make the ton give them a pass.