Sign in to follow this  
Grim Reaper

Claude Levi-Strauss

Unfortunatelly, the death of Mr. Lévi-Strauss is very close. This wise thinker has lived in complete reclusion last years. The fellows of Mr. Lévi-Strauss at French Academy believe him must live few months at most.

The perfect DL post. Anonymous, using somewhat imperfect English (but much better than most DL'ers could do in a foreign language), making an entirely unsubstantiated prediction, and following quick on the heels of a similar post making an unsubstantiated, completely opposite prediction. The very reason this site was built.

There will be a strong lobbying effort to get this boring old git off the 2008 list. If he'd invented blue jeans, fine. Otherwise, he's just another not all that famous 99 year old. And a freakin' Belgian too. Bah!

I vote to leave him on, conditional on the fact that he's still breathing come 2008. Certainly the father of Structuralism, while pretentious sounding, is worthy enough of legitimate fame. If you really want to get rid of "just another not all that famous" old person, try Ruby Muhammad, less likely to die and with no real claim to fame outside of a being a very old member of an organization (was not, as has been discussed, ol' Elijah's widow). Even if she did die, there'd be not much glory in that.

I think he should be left on. He has certainly contributed enough to society...I wear Dockers all the time. :ph34r:

There has have been times where when I might have said or used improper words that were either out of place or words that did not fulfill your grammatical expectations. It's not that I don't try, but it's just sometimes I just forget sometimes; it's done unconsciously. From now on just for you I will use the word 'there' only when I'm referring to a place and the word 'their' only when I'm speaking of people.

I don't dislike you BS. I just think you're f*****g bonkers. But that doesn't make you a bad person. For all I know you may be a professor of structuralism. I just struggle with the structure. I'm sorry if anything I say may appear rude.

I'm doing my deep breathing exercises now: one, two three, ommmmmm.....

There has have been times where when I might have said or used improper words that were either out of place or words that did not fulfill your grammatical expectations. It's not that I don't try, but it's just sometimes I just forget sometimes; it's done unconsciously. From now on just for you I will use the word 'there' only when I'm referring to a place and the word 'their' only when I'm speaking of people.

I don't dislike you BS. I just think you're f*****g bonkers. But that doesn't make you a bad person. For all I know you may be a professor of structuralism. I just struggle with the structure. I'm sorry if anything I say may appear rude.

I'm doing my deep breathing exercises now: one, two three, ommmmmm.....

Godot,

don't forget there's also "They're" :ph34r:

Godot,

Thanks Phantom, if you go back a few posts to the earlier their/there rant you will find it was mentioned. You have to believe me, I don't want to say these things, it's just that his posts almost reduce me to tears. I have a twitch in one eye and there's dribble down my shirt. I get disturbing dreams. The medication isn't doing its stuff anymore. I self-harm. Some may see this as a cry for help.

Godot,

Thanks Phantom, if you go back a few posts to the earlier their/there rant you will find it was mentioned. You have to believe me, I don't want to say these things, it's just that his posts almost reduce me to tears. I have a twitch in one eye and there's dribble down my shirt. I get disturbing dreams. The medication isn't doing its stuff anymore. I self-harm. Some may see this as a cry for help.

Godot,

I read the posts, I just try to steer clear of any confrontations.

After all the run-ins I had with Star Crossed. I just let it fall like water off a duck's back.

We all have errors with our posts at one point or another.

Who really cares?

I've seen much worse spelling or grammatical errors in emails from people that have degrees in English

Guest Raymond Aron

I think Claude Lévi-Strauss will be the next hit of Deathlist. The absence of Mr. Lévi-Strauss in French Press last days shows his death seems really be close. Let's wait.

[

We all have errors with our posts at one point or another.

Who really cares?

I've seen much worse spelling or grammatical errors in emails from people that who have degrees in English

You're right Phantom lad, it doesn't matter. None of it matters.

I think Claude Lévi-Strauss will be the next hit of Deathlist. The absence of Mr. Lévi-Strauss in French Press last days shows his death seems really be close. Let's wait.

I'll level with you Raymond at the risk of upsetting ie+ again, I don't give a sh*t about Claude Levi-Strauss although I'm sure he's a great man. But I do give a sh*t about grammar.

So your apologizing because you feel that you are being rude? I think you have nerve to be apologetic after speaking your mind in a rational sense. You tell me that you struggle with the structure, doors ways lead to walls and stairway lead up to an altitude of nowhere. Well Godot your basically trying to figure out the facts, all the facts that you just can't figure out. It frustrates you that you can't figure it out, so you draw conclusions through frustration and the very answer to all your questions is that I'm insane. Everybody is insane Godot, the more I grow older then more I realize how insane the principals of humanity are. I try to ignore it, but I can't get it out of mind. Godot is insane, he is insane for taking grammar over meaning. Isn't it about reference? Isn't it about perspective? Isn't it about meaning? Godot has grammar anxiety, he focuses on the words more then the meanings themselves. If all this I've just told you doesn't make sense, then realize that instead of finding out what is, your purpose in life was to go to college and be an editor.

And this post I just made should possibly be considered for post of the year.

I'm nominating it.

Guest Paul

Instead, there aren't news from French press about Lévi-Strauss recently. It's a bad sign no question.

Instead, there aren't news from French press about Lévi-Strauss recently. It's a bad sign no question.

Well what with strikes, riots, the whole French inastructure falling apart, the World Cup draw, Sarzoky's latest shenagainans et al, why on earth would ANY paper, let alone a Frog one, devote any time to the most boring man since the beginning of time, let alone a 24 hour running commentary on his health?

There hasn't been any news about me in the last.. ooh.. 16 years in any paper & I'm still alive & we- aargggghhhh gmfg

There will be a strong lobbying effort to get this boring old git off the 2008 list. If he'd invented blue jeans, fine. Otherwise, he's just another not all that famous 99 year old. And a freakin' Belgian too. Bah!

:ph34r:

:banghead:

There was a strong lobbying effort. It failed.

:rolleyes:

There was a strong lobbying effort. It failed.

Hurrah!

Guest Lisandro

Laughing at death (even if someone else) is a way of defending from the anxiety its sole mention provokes... as well as the hell of a lot of fun when it's about someone else!!! :lol:

By the way, this still-alive-and-kicking great anthropologist is NOT 100 years old. He is 99, since he was born on Nov 28, 1908. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Levi_Strauss

How to fix this on the list?

Laughing at death (even if someone else) is a way of defending from the anxiety its sole mention provokes... as well as the hell of a lot of fun when it's about someone else!!! :lol:

By the way, this still-alive-and-kicking great anthropologist is NOT 100 years old. He is 99, since he was born on Nov 28, 1908. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Levi_Strauss

How to fix this on the list?

The age on the list is correct. It's how old that person will be this year, not how old they currently are.

Guest Richard Walker

According to sources of French press the health conditions of Claude Lévi-Strauss are very critical. The death of Mr. Lévi-Strauss can be announce next days or weeks.

According to sources of French press the health conditions of Claude Lévi-Strauss are very critical. The death of Mr. Lévi-Strauss can be announce next days or weeks.

BS sez Google News French.

Guest Guest

The death od Levi-Strauss will represent a significant loss to academic world. In my opinion, Claude Levi-Strauss is the most prominent anthropologist of 20th century.

Well done CP, but this guy has been making these comments for about a year & a half now & they're about as successful as iain's were (and come to think of it, mine, considering my brighty & breezy Sir Anthony Mamo will live for ever post...).

Guest, I am sure the world will cope with his death just tickety-boo.

Guest Guest

This article was published in Le Point Magazine.

I found this interesting article from French prestigious newspaper Le Monde. Claude Levi-Strauss seems be frail. I guess the death of Levi-Strauss is very close.

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5XOQNh1IX...ee/249/0/240618

Listen, you idiot, it doesn't say that at all & it also dispels all the other rumours previously that C L-S had a condition that meant he couldn't go out "because his death was very close" and he was "very ill".

"On November 28, Claude Lévi-Strauss will be 100 years old. And on May 2, he has chosen seven large texts, of his revolutionary work which will adorn the "Pleiad". Until October 2007, Claude Lévi-Strauss continued to go twice per week to his office of the laboratory of social anthropology to the College of France. The access is not easy; it is necessary to take a small spiral staircase. This office dominates the library of research and a broad window opens on the young researchers who work there. The Master contemplates them and they contemplate the Master."

I couldn't see a thing in there about being frail. I know there are better French speakers (Indeed, we have three members who live in France) than me on here, but even I can work out the general gist. I don't mind a bit of speculation but rumours which aren't true are profoundly irritating.

Is he old? Yes. Will he die? Possibly - people of that age can just go like that (a la Mamo). But is he so ill that his life is hanging by a thread?

Well, considering he is selecting texts for an exhibition & was going to work up a steep spiral staircase twice a week, I'd say no.

and besides, if you look at the posts above (including the very similiar sounding post), C L-S has apparently been in "complete reclusion in the last few years". Really? The article above blows that theory away too.

God, I hate wind-up merchants. This kind of bull-sh*t has been posted since 2006 & enough is enough.

Sorry, that's my rant for the day. Move along, nothing to see here.

Guest Jean-Paul Sartre
I found this interesting article from French prestigious newspaper Le Monde. Claude Levi-Strauss seems be frail. I guess the death of Levi-Strauss is very close.

http://av.rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5XOQNh1IX...ee/249/0/240618

Listen, you idiot, it doesn't say that at all & it also dispels all the other rumours previously that C L-S had a condition that meant he couldn't go out "because his death was very close" and he was "very ill".

"On November 28, Claude Lévi-Strauss will be 100 years old. And on May 2, he has chosen seven large texts, of his revolutionary work which will adorn the "Pleiad". Until October 2007, Claude Lévi-Strauss continued to go twice per week to his office of the laboratory of social anthropology to the College of France. The access is not easy; it is necessary to take a small spiral staircase. This office dominates the library of research and a broad window opens on the young researchers who work there. The Master contemplates them and they contemplate the Master."

I couldn't see a thing in there about being frail. I know there are better French speakers (Indeed, we have three members who live in France) than me on here, but even I can work out the general gist. I don't mind a bit of speculation but rumours which aren't true are profoundly irritating.

Is he old? Yes. Will he die? Possibly - people of that age can just go like that (a la Mamo). But is he so ill that his life is hanging by a thread?

Well, considering he is selecting texts for an exhibition & was going to work up a steep spiral staircase twice a week, I'd say no.

and besides, if you look at the posts above (including the very similiar sounding post), C L-S has apparently been in "complete reclusion in the last few years". Really? The article above blows that theory away too.

God, I hate wind-up merchants. This kind of bull-sh*t has been posted since 2006 & enough is enough.

Sorry, that's my rant for the day. Move along, nothing to see here.

Mr. Octopus, you is a fool. I never said Mr. Levi-Strauss has a terminal disease. I said only Levi-Strauss' health is declining last years. This eminent anthropologist hasn't given interviews since 2005. Besides, some influential members of French Academy has declared Mr. Levi-Strauss must die very soon. I don't write at this forum because you. I don't give a damn to your opinions.

Guest Guest

And on May 2, he has chosen seven large texts, of his revolutionary work which will adorn the "Pleiad". Until October 2007, Claude Lévi-Strauss continued to go twice per week to his office of the laboratory of social anthropology to the College of France.

Claude Levi-Strauss hasn't attended to the French Academy and the Collège de France last months due to his poor health.