Guest Arnold

Richard O'Sullivan

As we know, The Man About the House star is in a nursing home as a full time resident and is described as "very fragile" following a recent stroke, despite being just 59.

A reasonable bet. He is also a manic depressive so he may give us a second bite of the cherry with an overdose or a hanging.

Well, four years down the line Arnold he's become part of the furniture and probably as happy as Larry. Whodathought a minor sitcom actor would have become the most talked about individual on the whole of Deathlist with a fan base (or should that be base fan?) in Australia?

As we know, The Man About the House star is in a nursing home as a full time resident and is described as "very fragile" following a recent stroke, despite being just 59.

A reasonable bet. He is also a manic depressive so he may give us a second bite of the cherry with an overdose or a hanging.

Well, four years down the line Arnold he's become part of the furniture and probably as happy as Larry. Whodathought a minor sitcom actor would have become the most talked about individual on the whole of Deathlist with a fan base (or should that be base fan?) in Australia?

Minor sitcom actor? I rather fancy that the base fan of the Antipodes sees him as a latter day Clark Gable.

Yeah, didn't Gable die at the age of sixty odd? I'm guessing Dickie O can beat that.

Could someone please update me on what's happening? It seems like Lady Clarissa Richmond has morphed into Rebecca de Winter and all his/her old posts have been changed to the new name. Any particular reason for all this? Was it an act of the moderators? Will we ever see LCR again? I can't stand the suspense. Stay tuned for the next action filled episode. (I confess I miss LCR's avatar).

Could someone please update me on what's happening? It seems like Lady Clarissa Richmond has morphed into Rebecca de Winter and all his/her old posts have been changed to the new name. Any particular reason for all this? Was it an act of the moderators? Will we ever see LCR again? I can't stand the suspense. Stay tuned for the next action filled episode. (I confess I miss LCR's avatar).

Does this help?

Does this help?

Thanks Cap'n, that makes everything clear without having to wade through so much drivel. My goodness but everyone can really get worked up!

Ok folks which one of you started the thread here? I can't believe that there are two fora with threads dedicated to Dickie O. Anyone want to confess to being Robin Tripp while we're at it?

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/showthrea...rd+o%27sullivan

I'm a regular on there and I'm almost 100% certain Robin Tripp doesn't post on here. One or two others (who crow on about doing better than me in the DDP) probably do post, or at least lurk, on here however.

As it's a forum mainly dedicated to old/cult programmes then it's fair enough Richard O'Sullivan gets mentioned quite a bit.

Just finished reading War and Peace and fancying something more substantial thought I'd peruse this thread again. It opens with a reference to 'Manic' depression which is never really substantiated in the tonnage of posts that follow. Dickie has suffered from depression for sure, but is there any evidence of the full-blown Bi-Polar problem alluded to on page 1?

Can't find one anywhere on line.

Just finished reading War and Peace and fancying something more substantial thought I'd peruse this thread again. It opens with a reference to 'Manic' depression which is never really substantiated in the tonnage of posts that follow. Dickie has suffered from depression for sure, but is there any evidence of the full-blown Bi-Polar problem alluded to on page 1?

Can't find one anywhere on line.

A true bi-polar disorder would have almost certainly resulted in hospitalitation and treatment at some point - possibly under the Mental Health Act. Haven't heard anything that suggests that this is the case.

We could berate the poster suggesting Dickie O was a manic depressive case but it was the long-lost Arnold, unregistered originator of this thread.

Wonder who/where he is these days?

We could berate the poster suggesting Dickie O was a manic depressive case but it was the long-lost Arnold, unregistered originator of this thread.

Wonder who/where he is these days?

Arnold was Tony Blackburn's dog on his shows. O'Sullivan stole Blackburn's wife, the divine Tessa Wyatt. Was Arnold the nom de plume of Blackburn, I wonder.

Was Arnold the nom de plume of Blackburn, I wonder.

Highly unlikely I'd say.

Brutal, man, brutal. Having spent the last 5 hours reading this entire thread in a single sitting, do I qualify for some kind of award (Idiot of the Year?) or perhaps some psychiatric help? After some slight dozing at around pages 67-70, I got my second wind until Clarissa/Rebecca/Am I Dead Yet showed up and made the last 25 pages feel akin to a marathon runner hitting 'the wall'.

Still, having conquered the DL's Everest, I feel much more at home in this forum now (what has happened to former Dickie O stalwarts such as pulphack, millwall, bennett cerf etc?) and can't wait to get cracking on the f*****g Pope.

See you in my nightmares, Mr O'Sullivan,

Goodnight all.

Brutal, man, brutal. Having spent the last 5 hours reading this entire thread in a single sitting, do I qualify for some kind of award (Idiot of the Year?) or perhaps some medical/psychiatric help? After some slight dozing at around pages 67-70, I got my second wind until Clarissa/Rebecca/Am I Dead Yet showed up and made the last 25 pages feel akin to a marathon runner hitting 'the wall'.

Still, having conquered the DL's Everest, I feel much more at home in this forum now (what has happened to former Dickie O stalwarts such as pulphack, millwall, bennett cerf etc?) and can't wait to get cracking on the f*****g Pope.

See you in my nightmares, Mr O'Sullivan,

Goodnight all.

HMBWA

You have staying power and dedication, I've never attempted the same feat myself, thought I'd wait for the book.

Still pumping my friend of a friend contact for details of the alleged 'comeback' this summer but so far, nowt doing in the Dickie O stakes.

Still it's good to see he's under discussion again. I'm interested in that Arnold theory. I think it has legs (and a tail). But Arnold is registered is he not? I've seen his occasional posts.

Finding the Brinsworth House thread closed for repairs and the Fluff thread not to my preference, news of the blue plaque ceremony'll have to be deposited here.

I'm sure they locked Dickie in his room to avoid embarrassment but I reckon if you look closely you can just see him peering out of the window, bottle in hand, to the left of Frank Carson's head. No, more closely than that.

Not a single picture of anyone looking remotely ill or even particularly old unfortunately, we'll have to wait for the outtakes to appear.

All of which reminds me that I still haven't delivered on that promise of hard Dickie O information. I'll give yers what I've got and hopefully the rest can be verified soon. The friend of a friend connection relates to someone involved in pre-production of a radio play. They seriously approached Dickie O to play a head injured guy in a play that deals with how a guy who's had an accident has to be looked after by his daughter. Dickie O's agent and manager nixed it at an early point since he's simply not well enough. Since the hardest work this would involve is sitting and reading lines and getting into character that probably gives a better indication of his health than the little bit of Doctor in the House voice over he did.

Haven't spoken to anyone directly on this, just swapped e-mails. My contact didn't want to say more until they'd got the play listed and cast so it would be obvious it was a real production. As things stand they're still looking for the head injured guy, sort of thing, I think Eddie - oh is that a new heart pumping in me chest? - Large, is the current fave for the role. So they're obviously enjoying the element of danger in the casting.

Finding the Brinsworth House thread closed for repairs and the Fluff thread not to my preference, news of the blue plaque ceremony'll have to be deposited here.

I'm sure they locked Dickie in his room to avoid embarrassment but I reckon if you look closely you can just see him peering out of the window, bottle in hand, to the left of Frank Carson's head. No, more closely than that.

Not a single picture of anyone looking remotely ill or even particularly old unfortunately, we'll have to wait for the outtakes to appear.

*Steps tentatively into thread for first time without the knowledge of what has gone before*

There appear to be a lot of wandering hands in those photos, viz. Chris Tarrant and the nurse to his left, the chairman and Danny La Rue (always suspicious when you can't see them) and God alone knows where the Rev's right hand has gone!

A bit of info from the Brinsworth House Fluff bash, nicked from elsewhere:

I'm glad to report he seems very well, and was pleased to receive attention from a few people like me who were at an event at the house. His speech is clear, though he does have a slight impediment now following the operation. Other than that he seemed very happy and chatty

I'm glad to report he seems very well, and was pleased to receive attention from a few people like me who were at an event at the house. His speech is clear, though he does have a slight impediment now following the operation. Other than that he seemed very happy and chatty

Is this referring to Dickie, and can we read the whole report? Or is it classified information that the powers-that-be are trying to suppress and you're protecting your sources? :huh:

Is this referring to Dickie, and can we read the whole report? Or is it classified information that the powers-that-be are trying to suppress and you're protecting your sources? ;)

Tis indeed refering to the geat man, yes, and that is pretty much the whole report.

Tis indeed refering to the geat man

I think you'll find it's pronounced "Git."

;)

Why has the Brinsworth House thread been closed? The last item, posted by MPFC, was interesting and, it seems, on the ball because yesterday Radio 4 ran an afternoon play called A Two Pipe Problem set in "a retirement home for members of the entertainment industry." Surely this must be one and the same play concerning the Richard O'Sullivan approach. In the event it was Richard Briers and Stanley Baxter in the lead roles. I haven't listened to it yet but intend to do so.

Well done MPFC. It sounds like your snout had a scoop.

Why has the Brinsworth House thread been closed? The last item, posted by MPFC, was interesting and, it seems, on the ball because yesterday Radio 4 ran an afternoon play called A Two Pipe Problem set in "a retirement home for members of the entertainment industry." Surely this must be one and the same play concerning the Richard O'Sullivan approach. In the event it was Richard Briers and Stanley Baxter in the lead roles. I haven't listened to it yet but intend to do so.

Well done MPFC. It sounds like your snout had a scoop.

You cannot turn your back on Brinsworth for a second. There's always something brewing.

While R O'S might be fine for the odd cameo, it looks as if this play would have required someone with a bit more stamina than Dickie can muster.