Sign in to follow this  
Guest Arnold

Alistair Cooke

Yes. Don't forget though, that he was American, not British. That's what some guy on R4 was trying to tell me tonight. Apparently, he taught Americans how to understand themselves. Not an easy task.

• Like 1

Yes. Don't forget though, that he was American, not British. That's what some guy on R4 was trying to tell me tonight. Apparently, he taught Americans how to understand themselves. Not an easy task.

Sure, because everyone in the UK always understands everyone else's dialects and reasoning. :D

So Harry, was he really that well known in the states? Would most Americans of known him, or known of him?

So Harry, was he really that well known in the states?  Would most Americans of known him, or known of him?

Yikes, SA, I'm afraid to say. Most Americans I know and spend time with know of him, but I don't trust most Americans, generally, to know their own names. Watch much American TV while you were here? The collective IQ of my beloved homeland is dropping faster than an Essex girl's knickers.

Edit: Hehe... http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...267/ai_17716146

Guest Zappy

I dunno, he was good looking wasn't he?

relatives of the iconic broadcaster received his ashes, which were then scattered in New York's Central Park.

Now they have been told that body snatchers allegedly surgically removed his bones and sold them for more than $7,000 (£4,000) to a company supplying parts for use in dental implants and various orthopaedic procedures

I know you shouldn't laugh but...........the theives were passing them off as healthy tissue. The guy was 95 and by the time he died the cancer in his lungs had spread to these very bones. Presumably some wealthy New Yorker is also in court this week claiming compensation against the same company because his new teeth fell out.

This theatriceal thread made me remember that I haveent watched Marsterpiece theater in quite somne time. I always enhoyed Sunday evenings when Mr. Cooke wotukld sit in the chaire and tell about waht were about tto see, many good showings.

Bruno, you really need to think about employing a proof-reader.

Or at least a good buddy who'll stop you from making drunken phone calls/DL posts. :)

Now here is a strange happening:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4552742.stm

DWB :)

And the story of the stolen bones is still going on. With some of them possibly reaching this side of the Atlantic.

Is this the most undignified fate so far for the remains of a Deathlist Graduate?

I don't get this story about the 'stolen bones'.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long a dead body decomposes into bones, as

this story came out not long after he died. Unless as a last request, he had his

body fed to Phiranas or put in a vat of acid or something...

The gruesome thing here though is that Cook's frail old cancer ridden bones were part of the material traded by a company offering the complete opposite. In other words, bits of his body could - in theory - find their way into the bodies of patients healthier than he was in his last few months.

Al's son, John Byrne Cooke, dead at 76.As well as being Janis Joplin's tour manager he was also part of one of the world's first novelty cover bands, the Charles River Valley Boys, who did Beatles songs in a bluegrass style to the moderate amusement of some.

• Like 2