Cowboy Ronnie

African Leaders - Despots and Democratic

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It's all going off in Gabon at the moment, so the numerous DDPers who've picked Ali Bongo Ondimba this year may be hearing good news soon.

Automatic ban for anyone making an "Ali Bongo the old TV magician" gag.

Mr Bongo is apparently still in hospital in Morocco, and the coup seems to be over.

10 minutes ago, JQW said:

Mr Bongo is apparently still in hospital in Morocco, and the coup seems to be over.

Um, he's in the Congo. The Congo.

* and the Coup runneth over? Lol.   < headline for the Sun right there.

If he’s in the Congo will he be drinking Um Bongo??? ;) 

All safe and stable then in Gabon. One of the five army coups did briefly escape but was found hiding ‘ under a bed’ . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Goddamn unexpected Hartlepool hit for SirC should Bongo be no Longo

Incoming DR Congo president Félix Tshisekedi cuts short his inauguration speech due to "medical issues": is seen choking and say "it's not OK...." before cameras cut off.

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Incoming DR Congo president Félix Tshisekedi cuts short his inauguration speech due to "medical issues": is seen choking and say "it's not OK...." before cameras cut off.

the president later returned to the podium and explained he was exhausted by the long election process and the emotion of the occasion.

Heard on the news his bullet proof vest was just strapped too tightly - so you could say both the speech and Tshisekedi were out of the air?

1 hour ago, ThereWillBeDeaths7 said:

FTFY
As a fellow 55-year old, I completely understand why the good President was exhausted.

• Haha 2

Princess Sara Gizaw, the daughter-in-law of Ethiopian dictator Haile Selassie, has died at age 90.  She'd been married to his son, Prince Makonnen, the Duke of Harrar, who died in a car accident in 1957.

https://mereja.com/index/266111

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Princess Sara Gizaw, the daughter-in-law of Ethiopian dictator Haile Selassie, has died at age 90.  She'd been married to his son, Prince Makonnen, the Duke of Harrar, who died in a car accident in 1957.

https://mereja.com/index/266111

Oh, and her brother-in-law was Baron Harkonnen, the Duke of Giedi Prime who died in a terrorist attack in 1965.

• Haha 1

YES! FINALLY!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, drol said:

YES! FINALLY!

Bah - not even Oldest Living State Leaders DP material.

Denied. He is alive. Groannn.....

BBC seems to confirm he's dead.

His son has confirmed it. 100% dead, gone forever and you won't run for next elections, dick.

So Ali Hassan Mwinyi is now the only African strongman born in 1925 left. There are still 4 iconic people from 1924 (Moi, Mugabe, Kaunda, Jawara) and only one from 1926 (disgusting Senegal overlord Abdoulaye Wade). Then nothing till 1929 (Sam Nujoma and Marcelino Dos Santos). If I have to predict their death orders I'd say:

1)Jawara

2)Mugabe

3)Mwinyi

4)Kaunda

5)Dos Santos

6)Moi

7)Nujoma

8)Wade

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drol said:

So Ali Hassan Mwinyi is now the only African strongman born in 1925 left. There are still 4 iconic people from 1924 (Moi, Mugabe, Kaunda, Jawara) and only one from 1926 (disgusting Senegal overlord Abdoulaye Wade). Then nothing till 1929 (Sam Nujoma and Marcelino Dos Santos). If I have to predict their death orders I'd say:

1)Jawara

2)Mugabe

3)Mwinyi

4)Kaunda

5)Dos Santos

6)Moi

7)Nujoma

8)Wade

Isn't the current Tunisian PM born in 1926?

Also Morocco had a PM born in 1924 still alive (Youssoufi) and Libya has PM Ben Halim (b. 1921) still living though they were head of governments, not head of states I guess.

• Thanks 1

Well, I think not every state leader can qualify as a despot. Moi, Mugabe and Kaunda definitely were despots as they had an authoritarian rule but not sure for others especially if someone was just a Prime minister in presidential system. Btw, Wade's father lived to 105 according to his words, and Nujoma's mother lived to 110 so they probably posess longetivity genes.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Isn't the current Tunisian PM born in 1926?

Also Morocco had a PM born in 1924 still alive (Youssoufi) and Libya has PM Ben Halim (b. 1921) still living though they were head of governments, not head of states I guess.

Yes, I was actually referring to subsaharian Africa. 

8 minutes ago, Tower1 said:

Well, I think not every state leader can qualify as a despot. Moi, Mugabe and Kaunda definitely were despots as they had an authoritarian rule but not sure for others especially if someone was just a Prime minister in presidential system. Btw, Wade's father lived to 105 according to his words, and Nujoma's mother lived to 110 so they probably posess longetivity genes.

Nujoma's mother actually lived well over 100, while mr. Wade's biography seems to be quite imaginative.

18 hours ago, drol said:

1)Jawara

2)Mugabe

3)Mwinyi

4)Kaunda

5)Dos Santos

6)Moi

7)Nujoma

8)Wade

I've learned something there: apparently, being an African dictator born in 1925 is a bit like "the 27 club".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

The "article" you linked, beside being a blog, is a piece of fake news for at least two reasons.

1)Moi is currently in his Kabarnet home in Nairobi, where he received the visit of the Ugandan president Museveni, as proved by this picture:
Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni (right) on

As you see the old man does not look worse than usual.

2)He was briefly in hospital for routine check ups and was immediately discharged after completing them. No unknown reasons whatsoever.

In conclusion Moi is not ill and is not going anywhere. And beware fake news, even Africa has its National Enquirers.

• Like 2

Daniel arap Moi's son Jonathan Kiprotich has died aged 64.