Godot

Rugby Players

Another WWII veteran All Black Bob Scott has passed on (full backs didn't pass much in his day but 'full time' puns are wearing thin).

Former Springbok captain Joost van der Westhuizen, 40, has been diagnosed with motor neuron disease.

News reports today say he has between 2 to 5 years to live.

Joost van der Westhuizen says that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him anymore, following recent speculation about his private life. The next day, his estranged wife alleged that he has been having an affair with his neurologist.

Two years after his diagnosis, and Joost's condition has apparently "deteriorated considerably".

Former Wales international Matthew J Watkins has a 'rare form of cancer in his right pelvis'.

Former Springbok captain Joost van der Westhuizen, 40, has been diagnosed with motor neuron disease.

Joost van der Westhuizen says that he doesn't care what anyone thinks of him anymore, following recent speculation about his private life. The next day, his estranged wife alleged that he has been having an affair with his neurologist.

Two years after his diagnosis, and Joost's condition has apparently "deteriorated considerably".

Latest from Joost: "I'm on my deathbed and every day could be my last".

"Now the 42-year-old is confined to a wheelchair, struggles with his speech and barely has the strength to hold a sandwich or lift a drink."

So not out of it just yet, but one for next year at both DL and DDP level...

Poor old Joost. I was about to post a similar link but checked first, hence this garbled nonsense.

The part that really gave me the shits in the usually reliable New Zealand Herald was;

Van der Westhuizen scored 38 Test tries in 89 appearances in the green and gold by the time he retired in 2003

For fuck's sake, there's even a picture,

joost_460x230.jpg

Green and white! Green and fucking white!!! Australia's Green and Gold not South Africa.

They both play rugby like girls though.

Latest from Joost: "I'm on my deathbed and every day could be my last".

"Now the 42-year-old is confined to a wheelchair, struggles with his speech and barely has the strength to hold a sandwich or lift a drink."

So not out of it just yet, but one for next year at both DL and DDP level...

Now Joost is claiming an unregistered quack has cured him.

Red Flag, you've missed scoring out Metsu in your shadow list....

• Like 1

Alot thinner around the shoulders and chest, i think he is a good bet for 2014. At the start of the year he could walk ,talk and eat unaided in 9 months he has lost all of them . Its very sad and i said this before but it's a truly horrible disease , i really can't see him surviving another 14 months.

No, relatively speaking, but compared to an even he was at in Argentina in January/February, it's a swift decline. The effort for him to talk and the fact that's he's now wheelchair bound doesn't bode well. But to still be able to fly around and to try and raise the message about the disease and remain so positive, is thoroughly uplifting. I hope he's still with us in 2015, but sadly, I suspect he will not.

PS Thought Gareth Edwards has aged a lot lately.

• Like 1