Godot

Rugby Players

Football doesn't come close, played by brainless, cynical, cheating tossers,

Only if you're a Brazilian goalkeeper?

And the rest. Obviously I'm for England but France are hard to beat on their own turf. As a neutral I'd have to be backing France, but I know we can take 'em and this England side is improving. Catt was unlucky to miss a try.

This is France's World Cup. England have done well to reach the semi-final. But you never know....

• Like 1

This is France's World Cup. England have done well to reach the semi-final. But you never know....

Seriously now, I think the Argies may win it, they were the laughing stock a few years ago, but they have come through the ranks and, are improving with every game.

OMG, do you know how hard that was to say?

Amazing, truely amazing.... :D

It looked as the 6 nations were having the worst World Cup ever, and we've got one guaranteed for the final! And the Aussies and All-Blacks vanquished. It shows when it comes to the crunch, how powerful the Northern Hemisphere is now.

Is it me, or is this:

a- The best Rugby World Cup ever?

b- Better than the FIFA World Cup?

I don't consider myself a Rugby fan, but some of these matches have been fascinating. Once you get into it and have a grasp

of the rules, it can be a more satisfying sport, at least internationally, than football...

I agree, the world cups are getting better. Rugby has always been a thinking man's game. Football doesn't come close, played by brainless, cynical, cheating tossers,

I'm not a fan of either but I watched the England match yesterday and it was fantastic once the ref realised that no amount of "assistance" for the Aussies was going to help them.

(I'm thinking of the number of times Australia pulled down a scrum but England were penalised)

I just enjoy the violence..how many footy players would last the full time if they had to dirty their manicure and you can only claim injury if blood is gushing?

Here's a little gem from the BBC's cricket commentary website:

OK, who's still in a bit of a fug after watching Saturday's crackerjack double header of rugger? I had the honour of watching the New Zealand v France match in a pub full of Kiwis, the finest moment of the evening was seeing an inconsolable girl regaled in black leaving the pub a minute after the final whistle streaming in tears. Anyone else had any wonderfully schadenfreudic moments from the weekend?

Is it me, or is this:

No, it's you.

My heart goes out to Gunjaman (as hard as it is to admit) the best team in the comp by a country mile has gone.

All that remains to be seen is whether the next best will take the trophy: if the Spingboks do, it'll be a hollow victory with the All Blacks missing.

If some other team wins, then it'll be like watching the carrion feeders after the big predators have left the kill.

I'm surprised Australia lost to England, but today's performance was truly woeful. Possibly the worst I've ever seen from the Wallabies. That England failed to score a try and won off 4 out of 6 off Wilkinson's boots hardly bodes well for the, ahem, World Champions.

I really don't like South Africa, but now find myself in the unenviable position of having to support (the final remaining) quality over opportunism. Win it for the Antipodes. :D

the best team in the comp by a country mile has gone.

That's what makes sport what it is mate, and why we love it. Even a dull game like rugger.

Anyway, aren't you Welsh? :D

By birth and team support, yes, but dual citizenship confers many priviledges, including supporting my adopted national team as a close second.

Before the World Cup I thought Wales had a decent chance of making the quarters. And I thought the Wallabies would scrape into the Semis, to be soundly thrashed by the Blacks, who'd go on to win it. C'est la vie.

Is it me, or is this:

No, it's you.

My heart goes out to Gunjaman (as hard as it is to admit) the best team in the comp by a country mile has gone.

All that remains to be seen is whether the next best will take the trophy: if the Spingboks do, it'll be a hollow victory with the All Blacks missing.

If some other team wins, then it'll be like watching the carrion feeders after the big predators have left the kill.

I'm surprised Australia lost to England, but today's performance was truly woeful. Possibly the worst I've ever seen from the Wallabies. That England failed to score a try and won off 4 out of 6 off Wilkinson's boots hardly bodes well for the, ahem, World Champions.

I really don't like South Africa, but now find myself in the unenviable position of having to support (the final remaining) quality over opportunism. Win it for the Antipodes. :D

The winners of a competition are not decided by a committee based on the form book. Did Australia and New Zealand think that all they had to do was turn up and lark about until they play someone 'good'?

Come on Fiji.

the best team in the comp by a country mile has gone.

That's what makes sport what it is mate, and why we love it. Even a dull game like rugger.

Anyway, aren't you Welsh? :D

By birth and team support, yes, but dual citizenship confers many priviledges, including supporting my adopted national team as a close second.

Before the World Cup I thought Wales had a decent chance of making the quarters. And I thought the Wallabies would scrape into the Semis, to be soundly thrashed by the Blacks, who'd go on to win it. C'est la vie.

Privileges? I'd call that a bum hand in this world cup. Yes, England are the world champions and they're still the world champions. Yesterday's matches showed what a nonsense it is to believe in foregone conclusions. Any one of about eight teams had a realistic chance. The Fijians took it to the Springbocks today.

I would make France favourites right now but Argentina are also looking good. Even so, I hope the Scots beat them. England have demonstrated they can beat anyone on their day but still have to show whether they can sustain the improvement. I think they can get better.

Bad luck Scotland.

Now you can get behind England.

:D

Harry's right. I wanted Scotland to beat Argentina and they nearly pulled it off but they made so many mistakes. Now the rest of the home nations should get behind England who are having to carry the torch alone as usual. I'm sure they can rely on some solidarity.

Bring on the Argies

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory yet again, story of our lives hcw :D .

Bring on the Argies

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory yet again, story of our lives hcw :D .

Hmmm, not sure we were watching the same match, LG. Argentina looked well on top most of the game. Scotland made a bit of a run, but never looked like scoring the second try.

It's funny - on the one hand, it's great for the unpredictability of it all that Aus and NZ lost, yet the quality of rugby on display next weekend will be significantly less for their absence.

Bring on the Argies

Hmmm, not sure we were watching the same match, LG. Argentina looked well on top most of the game. Scotland made a bit of a run, but never looked like scoring the second try.

It's funny - on the one hand, it's great for the unpredictability of it all that Aus and NZ lost, yet the quality of rugby on display next weekend will be significantly less for their absence.

Not sure I agree with you there CR. I didn't see much quality from Australia on Saturday. Nor was there much in the tactical kicking game pursued both by France and NZ in their match although I understand why they did it. If by quality you mean back play I would agree that Oz and NZ, particularly NZ, have more inventive and more athletic backs who have become used to having things their own way, but a rugby match involves forwards too. The England forwards were turning over ball at will against Australia who had no answer in the scrum either. We can expect a right old scrap between England and France. Rugby is rugby. Football lovers who only care about goals think it's just about tries but its much more than that.

Given the location, it's great that the northern hemisphere is doing so well and that the French are still in there.

I particularly enjoyed the French taking on the All-Black Haka eyeball-to-eyeball. Is it just me, or did some of the New Zealanders look taken aback, scared even, to have a team try to negate the obvious psychological advantage of the 'ritual?' Ah well, only 4 more years until the next World Cup that you're bound to win, again.

I particularly enjoyed the French taking on the All-Black Haka eyeball-to-eyeball. Is it just me, or did some of the New Zealanders look taken aback, scared even, to have a team try to negate the obvious psychological advantage of the 'ritual?' Ah well, only 4 more years until the next World Cup that you're bound to win, again.

I agree totally, AtJ, anything that shows up the haka should be encouraged. All this crap about how the other team is supposed to "stand there and respect" it is nonsense. Especially when it includes throat-slashing, as it did when they played in S. Africa earlier in the year.

Were I the captain of the other team, I'd have all my players out there reading newspapers while the haka went on.

I agree totally, AtJ, anything that shows up the haka should be encouraged. All this crap about how the other team is supposed to "stand there and respect" it is nonsense. Especially when it includes throat-slashing, as it did when they played in S. Africa earlier in the year.

Were I the captain of the other team, I'd have all my players out there reading newspapers while the haka went on.

We should combat them with a fearsome ritual of our own. Like morris dancing or tea drinking.

Bugger. Bum, bugger, poo, sh*t, fart. That sums up what I thought about Sunday's game.

I'd say it'd be fair to report as dead England's reign as world champs. They didn't do very much at all apart from make South Africa look good.

Hold your horses for at least another week, young fellow me lad.

Horses held Harry, although the South Africa team that put 36 on England could only squeeze past Fiji by two tries. Fiji, great at Sevens, less than great at 15 a side.

Excellent game, watch out England ( Care to put a cyber £5 on it Mr Gotot?)

Yes HCW, it was an excellent game. France played very well. If they can do that another two weeks in a row they'll be making a trip to the engravers.

Is it me, or is this:

I'll disagree with you on both counts here MIB;

a- Like the cricket world cup, the pool play stages should have been over with sooner. A month of largely meaningless matches, with the exception of the predictably named 'Pool of death' (incidentally a name which always made me wonder if they'd pick Clive Dunn or not). The odd enjoyable spectacle, who'd have thought Georgia would play such an attractive style of game.

b- The FIFA World Cup has greater balance as a tournament. Any one of at least a dozen teams could win. The Rugby World Cup has only five genuine contenders plus Argentina.

Did Australia and New Zealand think that all they had to do was turn up and lark about until they play someone 'good'?

So it would seem DttG, so it would seem.

I didn't see much quality from Australia on Saturday. Nor was there much in the tactical kicking game pursued both by France and NZ in their match although I understand why they did it. If by quality you mean back play I would agree that Oz and NZ, particularly NZ, have more inventive and more athletic backs who have become used to having things their own way, but a rugby match involves forwards too. The England forwards were turning over ball at will against Australia who had no answer in the scrum either. We can expect a right old scrap between England and France. Rugby is rugby. Football lovers who only care about goals think it's just about tries but its much more than that.

Given the location, it's great that the northern hemisphere is doing so well and that the French are still in there.

Nice of you to mention the fowards, this tired old hooker has been surprised by your insight and knowledge of the 'Slightly-less-than-beautiful-but-okay-after-a-few-drinks Game'. It's no surprise the Australia scrum couldn't hold Sherridan up, their scrum's been knackered for ages. They've a few useful fellas numbers 4 - 8 but if the set piece ball is all off the back foot, a backline of Gregans won't be able to do a thing. Australia ought to stop wasting big money on Rugby League converts and invest in junior developement programmes, that'll fix it but it'll take a very long time.

On the other hand, I don't see why you'd enjoy watching the ball being kicked for field position then defending unitl the opposition give a penalty away for Wilkinson to kick. That style of play retired with Grant Fox. Get rid of the goal posts I reckon, rugby's about picking the ball up and running with it.

Is it just me, or did some of the New Zealanders look taken aback, scared even, to have a team try to negate the obvious psychological advantage of the 'ritual?'.

Um, not me, luckily, there's a counter where you can point out the second the scaredness happens.

Well that's that really. I'd like to see the final contested between the two teams who haven't won before, it'll be better for the game globally. I don't think France will be able to maintain the intensity of last Sunday for another two and I don't think England would get past the Japies, providing they get past Argentina.

That'd mean that sister botherer John Smit will be holding up the trophy.

Go Argies!!!

31 seconds in. Mullett boy backs down.

Is it just me, or did some of the New Zealanders look taken aback, scared even, to have a team try to negate the obvious psychological advantage of the 'ritual?'.

Um, not me, luckily, there's a counter where you can point out the second the scaredness happens.

31 seconds in. Mullett boy backs down.

He's meant to start in the way? That's not fear, that's consideration.

hewitthaka1.jpg

Why can't they do this? Perfectly acceptable and not a scaredy cat in sight.

Bugger. Bum, bugger, poo, sh*t, fart. That sums up what I thought about Sunday's game.

I'd say it'd be fair to report as dead England's reign as world champs. They didn't do very much at all apart from make South Africa look good.

Hold your horses for at least another week, young fellow me lad.

Horses held Harry, although the South Africa team that put 36 on England could only squeeze past Fiji by two tries. Fiji, great at Sevens, less than great at 15 a side.

Excellent game, watch out England ( Care to put a cyber £5 on it Mr Gotot?)

Yes HCW, it was an excellent game. France played very well. If they can do that another two weeks in a row they'll be making a trip to the engravers.

Is it me, or is this:

a- Like the cricket world cup, the pool play stages should have been over with sooner. A month of largely meaningless matches, with the exception of the predictably named 'Pool of death' (incidentally a name which always made me wonder if they'd pick Clive Dunn or not). The odd enjoyable spectacle, who'd have thought Georgia would play such an attractive style of game.

b- The FIFA World Cup has greater balance as a tournament. Any one of at least a dozen teams could win. The Rugby World Cup has only five genuine contenders plus Argentina.

Did Australia and New Zealand think that all they had to do was turn up and lark about until they play someone 'good'?

So it would seem DttG, so it would seem.

I didn't see much quality from Australia on Saturday. Nor was there much in the tactical kicking game pursued both by France and NZ in their match although I understand why they did it. If by quality you mean back play I would agree that Oz and NZ, particularly NZ, have more inventive and more athletic backs who have become used to having things their own way, but a rugby match involves forwards too. The England forwards were turning over ball at will against Australia who had no answer in the scrum either. We can expect a right old scrap between England and France. Rugby is rugby. Football lovers who only care about goals think it's just about tries but its much more than that.

Nice of you to mention the fowards, this tired old hooker has been surprised by your insight and knowledge of the 'Slightly-less-than-beautiful-but-okay-after-a-few-drinks Game'. It's no surprise the Australia scrum couldn't hold Sherridan up, their scrum's been knackered for ages. They've a few useful fellas numbers 4 - 8 but if the set piece ball is all off the back foot, a backline of Gregans won't be able to do a thing. Australia ought to stop wasting big money on Rugby League converts and invest in junior developement programmes, that'll fix it but it'll take a very long time.

On the other hand, I don't see why you'd enjoy watching the ball being kicked for field position then defending unitl the opposition give a penalty away for Wilkinson to kick. That style of play retired with Grant Fox. Get rid of the goal posts I reckon, rugby's about picking the ball up and running with it.

Well that's that really. I'd like to see the final contested between the two teams who haven't won before, it'll be better for the game globally. I don't think France will be able to maintain the intensity of last Sunday for another two and I don't think England would get past the Japies, providing they get past Argentina.

That'd mean that sister botherer John Smit will be holding up the trophy.

Go Argies!!!

Too many points to answer here Gunjy but most of them are good ones. Commiserations re Cardiff. Don't worry, French joy is temporary. I thought the pool stages were just fine and mostly very entertaining (although didn't see too many as was away in a tent, no telly). On the Argies, it's time they were let in to the tri-nations series. After all, they're still in the world cup, flying the flag for the southern hemisphere. Two of the penalties came from close try scoring positions for England, not from playing the kicking game. I agree wholeheartedly about rugby league converts. Robinson has been a success for England but Farrell is a waste of time, very strong and great in his own code, but no positional understanding for union. Getting rid of the goal posts is daft. Kicking is part of the game and the sanction of the penalty keeps people honest, well fairly honest. I hope the Argies stuff the Bocks (but don't think they will). Argentina has been the team of the tournament. But England are improving all the time. A rematch against the Bocks will be a different story.

I watch England a lot and enjoy the afters (and befores), win or lose as long as they have done their best. That's why I love union. It's not more important than life and death as Bill Shankly described football. It's just a game.

I'll tell you what - you can have Lee Mears if you want him. Now that's what I call charity.

Is it me, or is this:

Well I'll agree that the pool stages were a bit too long. he best games were the more evenly matched ones. However your other point.....

Winners of Ruby World Cup since 1987:

1987 - New Zealand

1991 - Australia

1995 - South Africa

1999 - Australia

2003 - England

Winners of FIFA World Cup since 1986:

1986 - Argentina

1990 - W Germany

1994 - Brazil

1998 - France

2002 - Brazil

2006 - Italy

And you can't see beyond those teams above winning either trophy. Football might have greater reach, but the superpowers remain...

Well I'll agree that the pool stages were a bit too long. he best games were the more evenly matched ones. However your other point.....

Winners of Ruby World Cup since 1987:

1987 - New Zealand

1991 - Australia

1995 - South Africa

1999 - Australia

2003 - England

Winners of FIFA World Cup since 1986:

1986 - Argentina

1990 - W Germany

1994 - Brazil

1998 - France

2002 - Brazil

2006 - Italy

And you can't see beyond those teams above winning either trophy. Football might have greater reach, but the superpowers remain...

Fair enough MIB, maybe the tournament doesn't reflect the state of the game all that well. What I'm getting at is the odds of Uruguay beating New Zealand (Twenty vs One) would be considerably higher than Sweden knocking over Italy (Twenty vs One). If that's not pedantic enough may I remind you France failed to qualify for the 1990 and 1994 Fifa World Cups, perhaps 'superpower' is a bit much. What is it with those Frenchmen? They're either running red hot or ice cold, don't they have a setting for 'moderate'?

France v England, world cup semi-final: I'm so wound up about this match I'm almost peeing my pants.

I know this is incredibly disloyal but I think this could be France's day. England can't possibly repeat their form against Australia can they? Then again, Jonny hasn't found his kicking boots yet and the backs have still to show us how well they can play.

I feel bad for casting doubt. Like the contrite French-speaking prawn with the waiter's moustache in Finding Nemo, "I am ashamed."

Swwweeeing low, sweeeet charrrriot, cumming four two carrymeeee eeey'ome........

• Like 1