Godot

Rugby Players

Did catch an interview with Andy Ripley this last Friday afternoon on the Simon Mayo's 5 live radio show. Taking about his new book. Took the time to say how well recovered he was at the moment. By all accounts he has had a good deal of treatment so things look quite bright for him at the moment.

• Like 1

Rugby scrum: 1 man pushing 2 men's heads up 3 men's arses

[pedantry] Traditionally there's eight players per team per scrum in Rugby Union. [/pedantry]

Why not start a Rugby League thread? It'd still be devilishly clever with the added bonus of being accurate too.

:lol:

[pedantry] Traditionally there's eight players per team per scrum in Rugby Union. [/pedantry]

Why not start a Rugby League thread? It'd still be devilishly clever with the added bonus of being accurate too.

And the added bonus of giving the Brits (or should I say English now?) more scope for gloating.

Yeah, but the flankers don't get their heads shoved up the props' shorts though. Perhaps it should read 3 men pushing... etc.

Pat Walsh, All Black back of the Fifties and Sixties dies aged 71. Bloody cancer, more dangerous than the French in a world cup quarter final.

I'm sure the English contingent on here will not agree, but today was one of Wales' finest wins of the last 25 years (maybe even the last 40)!

A win at Twickenham, with them scoring zilch in the second half.. ah, it's the stuff of legends!

My only regret is that, because of work, I did not see one minute of action - I'll try & catch it sometime this weekend though.

_40310287_wales_flag3_203.jpg

I'm sure the English contingent on here will not agree, but today was one of Wales' finest wins of the last 25 years (maybe even the last 40)!

A win at Twickenham, with them scoring zilch in the second half.. ah, it's the stuff of legends!

My only regret is that, because of work, I did not see one minute of action - I'll try & catch it sometime this weekend though.

True, if Wales are to be judged solely on how they play against England.

They got a few good results in 2005 too.

True, if Wales are to be judged solely on how they play against England.

They got a few good results in 2005 too.

Wales' first win at Twickers in twenty years. Good stuff, I would have thought the England Rugby Union would have learned by Australia'a bad example and not wasted money on Rugby League converts. Nice to see a local boy get a run but surely England can't be that short of wingers can they?

You can't blame Vainikolo for what happened yesterday. He will be fine for England. From the stands it almost looked like the two sides had swapped shirts at half time. Wilkinson missed the steadying influence of Catt who was always good at kicking the team out of pressure in their own 22. That long pass was a shocker. But it wasn't just that England started playing badly, the Welsh raised their game in the second half and outplayed England in every department and Hook's kicking was deadly.

England for the wooden spoon this year? It could happen.

You can't blame Vainikolo for what happened yesterday. He will be fine for England. From the stands it almost looked like the two sides had swapped shirts at half time. Wilkinson missed the steadying influence of Catt who was always good at kicking the team out of pressure in their own 22. That long pass was a shocker. But it wasn't just that England started playing badly, the Welsh raised their game in the second half and outplayed England in every department and Hook's kicking was deadly.

I'm not blaming dear old Lesley Godot, wing's the easiest position to slot a convert into. If he can successfully move to the centres he'll be devastating. Speaking of devastating, have a look at Victor Vito, they're already using the 'L' word about him. 'Lomu' that is, not 'lesbian'.

England for the wooden spoon? Unlikely. Do you have an Italian you're trying to impress?

I'm not blaming dear old Lesley Godot, wing's the easiest position to slot a convert into. If he can successfully move to the centres he'll be devastating. Speaking of devastating, have a look at Victor Vito, they're already using the 'L' word about him. 'Lomu' that is, not 'lesbian'.

England for the wooden spoon? Unlikely. Do you have an Italian you're trying to impress?

He's bloody strong, a reminder that the sevens game is still valued in the Southern hemisphere whereas the Middlesex sevens at Twickenham has almost died a death. It's not beyond Italy to beat England next weekend.

He's bloody strong, a reminder that the sevens game is still valued in the Southern hemisphere whereas the Middlesex sevens at Twickenham has almost died a death. It's not beyond Italy to beat England next weekend.

I take it then that the English rugby public haven't taken their leg of the IRB sevens circuit to heart? That's all the Wellington tournament is, but it's very well supported by the locals.

It's a shame to hear about the Middlesex sevens, I went once with my uncle and sat with a bunch of his mates from the London Irish club. On reflection it can't have been that good, there's good sized chunks of the afternoon I can't remember.

Well I prayed for a French win yesterday but it wasn't to be so the insufferable Taffs get another Grand Slam. Still, I prefer Shane Williams to pretty boy "Jaffa" Henson. Williams has been the player of the season. At least England ended their stop/start season with a good win.

Now it's time for a new English anthem instead of God save the Queen. Jerusalem would do nicely.

Now it's time for a new English anthem instead of God save the Queen. Jerusalem would do nicely.

So you think it would be all right for Britain to have a national anthem in which the first four sentences begin with a conjunction?

Not to mention the American-style thingy of asking a question then not answering it. And of going on and on about weapons, be they rockets and bombs or bows, arrows, spears and swords or whatever.

I'll stick with God and Her Majesty for the time being if you don't mind.

So you think it would be all right for Britain to have a national anthem in which the first four sentences begin with a conjunction?

Not to mention the American-style thingy of asking a question then not answering it. And of going on and on about weapons, be they rockets and bombs or bows, arrows, spears and swords or whatever.

Nor the fact that a modern day Jerusalem is not something to aspire for in our green and plesant land.

Oops did I just start with a conjunction there? :flame:

Having said that bows of burning fire and arrows of desire have nothing on La Marseillaise. Strange they didn't work in the phrase nous sommes les singes qui mangent de fromage avec une tendence à capituler. Okay, that's far from perfect but you get the idea, oui?

Well there's plenty of God in Jerusalem and lots of metaphor. All the stuff about swords sleeping in hands is about writing poetry.

Do you know, that almost fits the first two lines perfectly. I'm singing it to myself now and getting funny looks. By the by, my kids have just been 'sort of' attacked by an escaped Harris Hawk, which was chasing its dinner in our garden.

edit:

This Harris hawk!

Strange they didn't work in the phrase nous sommes les singes qui mangent de fromage avec une tendence à capituler.

Andy Ripley interview in today's Telegraph.

"There is a sword of Damocles hanging over you, but I've had three brilliant years. I'm not going to waste a day; and anyway, we're all going to die."

He's rugby league rather than union, but Jack Gibson, the Australian coach would be a good bet. He introduced lots of new coaching and training methods into the sport.

According to Wiki "Gibson is now confined to a Sydney nursing home and requires around-the-clock care as he battles Alzheimer's disease and dementia"

He is dead.

Wayne "Buck" Shelford, who captained the New Zealand All Blacks in the 1980s, been diagnosed with lymphoma.

By all accounts, he is quite a tough cookie:

During only his second test with the All Blacks he had his scrotum torn open -leaving one testicle hanging free and four teeth knocked out in a ruck - but played on.

Given tentative all clear from cancer

All Black Ken Tautohe Going is suffering from terminal pancreatic cancer. He only played three times for the All Blacks, but with his brothers Sid and Brian, he was a mainstay of the New Zealand Maori team for many years.

All Black Ken Tautohe Going is suffering from terminal pancreatic cancer. He only played three times for the All Blacks, but with his brothers Sid and Brian, he was a mainstay of the New Zealand Maori team for many years.

Absolutely nul points for guessing the headline when he dies.

• Like 1