Godot

Rugby Players

All Black Ken Tautohe Going is suffering from terminal pancreatic cancer. He only played three times for the All Blacks, but with his brothers Sid and Brian, he was a mainstay of the New Zealand Maori team for many years.

Am I the only one seeing the amusement of having a brilliant surname like Tautohe Going, but then having forenames like Ken, Sid and Brian?

• Like 1

All Black Ken Tautohe Going is suffering from terminal pancreatic cancer. He only played three times for the All Blacks, but with his brothers Sid and Brian, he was a mainstay of the New Zealand Maori team for many years.

Am I the only one seeing the amusement of having a brilliant surname like Tautohe Going, but then having forenames like Ken, Sid and Brian?

The thing is Lardy that Ken, Sid and Brian probably sound exotic to the average Maori while Tautohe Going might well be quite run-of-the-mill in Maori circles like "Jones" in Wales. So you call your kid Sid and the neighbours go: "Oh, there's posh for you!" in Maori of course. In the same way it's most likely a big deal if a Maori has a heart with "Mam" tattooed on his forearm.

This means, therefore, that if we (the English) really wanted to intimidate the All Blacks at the start of a match we should do a Morris dance. They'd wilt at the sight.

The thing is Lardy that Ken, Sid and Brian probably sound exotic to the average Maori while Tautohe Going might well be quite run-of-the-mill in Maori circles like "Jones" in Wales. So you call your kid Sid and the neighbours go: "Oh, there's posh for you!" in Maori of course. In the same way it's most likely a big deal if a Maori has a heart with "Mam" tattooed on his forearm.

This means, therefore, that if we (the English) really wanted to intimidate the All Blacks at the start of a match we should do a Morris dance. They'd wilt at the sight.

Not quite Godot, those guys are from the generation that were belted for speaking Maori in classrooms and the like. Nothing formal like Australia's burnt earth, um no, ah, Aboriginies Protection policies, but a firm discouragement from speaking anything other than the Queen's English in schools. The 'indigenous' names were often hidden away in the middle. Shame about Ken though, I once played against he and Sid in a third grade club game when they were both well into their forties. It was a sad surprise to find that one of my childhood heroes was not only a prolific 'rule bender' but also had the ref firmly in his pocket.

Looking foward to the rugger tomorrow, who's got the best 'B' team? Can't wait to find out.

Neath scrum-half Gareth Jones has died two months after suffering a neck injury in a game against Cardiff.

Going, going, gone. The final whistle's blown for poor old Ken Going.

Hell of a shame. Nice man.

Don Fox has died at 73. He was a great player, but achieved notoriety for one disastrous moment, thanks to a clip featuring Eddie Waring's "'e's a poor lad" commentary...

... which doesn't appear to exist amongst the billions of websites out there.

Has Danny Cipriani ever actually done anything on a rugby pitch? He's famous for getting dropped from the England squad before he made his international debut because he was at a nightclub at midnight two days before a match, and now b/c he's reportedly knobing Kelly Brook. Oh, and according to Wiki he once dated a Cheeky Girl. With that track record I'm not surprised Josh Lewsey clocked him.

Don Fox has died at 73. He was a great player, but achieved notoriety for one disastrous moment, thanks to a clip featuring Eddie Waring's "'e's a poor lad" commentary...

... which doesn't appear to exist amongst the billions of websites out there.

Can't find it on video but there's an audio recording of it included here in an interview with David Coleman when Waring retired.

See Grandstand pays tribute to Eddie Waring.

Former England and British Lions scrum half Johnny Williams is suffering from the advanced stages of Alzheimer's. He doesn't remember his own name, is incontinent and has spent time in a secure unit after he was sectioned when he was deemed to be a threat to others.

He doesn't remember his own name, is incontinent and has spent time in a secure unit after he was sectioned when he was deemed to be a threat to others.

Perhaps he simply believes he is Gazza or was having a post-victory "Flintoff" moment(?)

He doesn't remember his own name, is incontinent and has spent time in a secure unit after he was sectioned when he was deemed to be a threat to others.

That's half of west Cumbria on a Saturday night.

Clucking bell, there's a surprise. Still, if you're going to drop down dead of a heart attack, the late forties seems to be a very popular time to do it.

Sad about John Drake though, my brother once saw him belly flop onto a table full of drinks and walk away without a scratch. There can't be a very long list of fellas who've done that and won a world cup.

He was always in danger, man...

I know where my coat is...

Great Britain and Widnes rugby league legend Vince 'Wild Bull of the Pampas' Karalius has died.

I can see him now, roaming free on the endless fertile lowland plains of northern Cheshire.

Wakefield Trinity's Leon Walker has died aged just 21. He died a few months after another player, Adam Watene died in training for the same club...

Hmmm..... :D

Wakefield Trinity's Leon Walker has died aged just 21. He died a few months after another player, Adam Watene died in training for the same club...

Still one short of a Trinity, but they do say these things happen in threes.

Guest Eddie Waring

Still one short of a Trinity, but they do say these things happen in threes.

Well, Don Fox died in August last year.

Andy Ripley has kindly updated us on his survival prospects.

http://www.thisissussex.co.uk/sport/Rugby-...il/article.html

When his cancer was detected, his prostate specific antigen (PSA) count - the level of the protein released by the prostate into the bloodstream - was 133. A normal reading is below four. A course of hormone therapy and radiotherapy at London's Royal Marsden Hospital appeared to have given Ripley an unlikely victory by summer 2007. "I thought I'd got away with it so they took me off the drugs, but it started coming back again...Despite now boasting an astronomically high PSA of 850 - "it's just a number", he says - Ripley has still not admitted defeat to prostate cancer and his fame makes him an ideal person to help raise awareness of the disease.

BBC News reporting Jona Lomu is returning to competitive rugby aged 34, with a third division French side. Is this a good idea in general, or simply a good idea for deadpoolers?

Does anyone out there know what state his dodgy kidneys are in these days?

BBC News reporting Jona Lomu is returning to competitive rugby aged 34, with a third division French side. Is this a good idea in general, or simply a good idea for deadpoolers?

Does anyone out there know what state his dodgy kidneys are in these days?

Arizona?