Godot

Rugby Players

2 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

The second member of the magnificent 7 of the Barbarians 1973 try to die only a couple of months after the first.

See John Pullin posts from 5th Feb above.

Look out Tom David, next to receive a (hospital) pass? In the Trumpton reenactment, the move began with Hugh (or Pugh) and was finished superbly in the corner by Grubb. 

• Like 1

Marcelo Campo, who made 29 appearances for Argentina between 1978 and 1987 and was also in their squad for the inaugural Rugby World Cup that same year dead of a heart attack aged 63.

Scored a very famous try for the Pumas against England at Twickenham in 1978.

• Like 1

Been a fair few much loved figures going in the last few weeks. Redressing the balance somewhat...

Former Scottish rugby international Norman Pender died aged 73 last month. Yes, Wiki hasn't noticed. Nor had I, despite him being on my longlist. His reputation was ruined by the revelation he was a notorious child abuser, and he served 3 years in jail for sexually abusing multiple children.

The Daily Record with the somewhat odd anonymous captain obvious talking head!

“Pender was once considered a stalwart of the community by many before it was revealed what a monster he was. 

“There was his rugby career then his role in local politics and work for the Hawick Lady Riders’ Association which campaigned for women to take part in the town’s common riding festival.

“But that was all obliterated when people learned the truth about him. He’ll be missed by few, if anyone.”

He was also a Lib Dem councillor. 

Former Wales international (1 cap v Namibia, 1990) Owain Williams has died aged 56, cancer. He had a career post-rugby as a set designer, being in charge of that department for long-running TV programme Casualty.

• Like 1

Really is time for a moderator to rename this thread.

Andy Ripley died 11 years ago and wasn't so much of a big deal in the history of rugby that the thread for all players should bear his name... and I don't even get the "boofhead" part.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Andy Ripley died 11 years ago and wasn't so much of a big deal in the history of rugby that the thread for all players should bear his name... and I don't even get the "boofhead" part.

Be like another thread being named Zelda Rubinstein and other American actors nowadays!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I said this ages ago, but did manage to get the "rugby" tag added.  It didn't even have that before.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, msc said:

Be like another thread being named Zelda Rubinstein and other American actors nowadays!

Well, and who TF is Mollie Sugden?

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, gcreptile said:

Well, and who TF is Mollie Sugden?

Mrs Slocombe in Are You Being Served. The cast of which were prime DDP fodder about 20 years ago, but iirc, all of the main ones are now dead. US equivalent would have been a Bea Arthur, who died around the same period of time, actually.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ask and you shall receive :)

(legit thought all this time that "boofhead" was a rugby-specific slang, rather than more general "idiot" one...)

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Ask and you shall receive :)

(legit thought all this time that "boofhead" was a rugby-specific slang, rather than more general "idiot" one...)

For those of you confused - in the scrum, the boofhead is sandwiched between the tighthead and the loosehead, with the lock forwards' hands hanging on to his (or her) balls. It's a sad but (I suppose) inevitable, and perhaps even justified, sign of the modern times in which we live that thread titles must adapt to current health and safety regulations. Though I will give a small, sad shake of the head when 'Andy Fordham - will he lose his liver?' becomes 'Darts Players' and 'Geoff Duke' transmogrifies into 'Motorcyclists'.

I think the boofheads addition might have been my doing, way back when - possibly in some cackhanded tribute to Gunjaman5000 or some other such macho Antipodean sort. Farewell the once-talented Mr Ripley.

(Edit: oh sorry, I see he and his boofheads live on in the subtitle)

Edited by harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strangely I did update the Fordham thread title as well but I kept him as the star attraction, looming large over the other darts players with his mass for all eternity...

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Strangely I did update the Fordham thread title as well but I kept him as the star attraction, looming large over the other darts players with his mass for all eternity...

Will Minimalists become Classical Musicians, Mollie Sugden and Al become 20th Century British Sitcoms, and Jacques Brel’s Jelly Jewellery become Music in this new grey functional world?

It’s snowflake culture and dumbing down gorn mad, I tell you. Did we fight the Thread Wars for this?

• Haha 2

I'm aware I'm playing with fire. I may have no choice but to restore the balance by naming the upcoming "Dead of 2022" thread after whichever Australian washes up on Wikipedia's "Deaths of 2022" page first before the other time zones catch up. :P

I will defend DI by admitting I came up with the new compromise darts thread title and if folk don't like it I am man enough to blame the copious amount of whisky I was/am drinking when asked for my opinion.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

If folk don't like it I am man enough to blame the copious amount of whisky I was/am drinking when asked for my opinion.

At least you're honest about it.

And... We have to praise your good taste.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

I'm aware I'm playing with fire. I may have no choice but to restore the balance by naming the upcoming "Dead of 2022" thread after whichever Australian washes up on Wikipedia's "Deaths of 2022" page first before the other time zones catch up. :P

No need to get drastic, old bean. How about we lose Ripley and his boofers, and subtitle it Buggered instead? 

1 minute ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

No need to get drastic, old bean. How about we lose Ripley and his boofers, and subtitle it Buggered instead? 

Buggered ruggers? I’m not good with quirky thread titles but I think that’s an improvement?

The problem with “boofhead” (and I read the above explanation) is that the reference is so niche that nobody gets it. The word is synonymous with “idiot”, which makes no sense… trust me, as someone who played both football and rugby on an amateur level for years, the players of the latter are generally far more intelligent!

• Like 2

It's "rugger buggers".

• Like 1

Eggchasers or "people who think it's acceptable behaviour to defecate in a pint glass".

• Like 2