Godot

Rugby Players

Should the tag be removed now this thread has been renamed?

A shame, I found the echo amusing. The Rugby Thread (Rugby). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Former Scottish International and Barbarians player Norm Suddon died back on 18th April, and his Wiki hasn't even been updated as yet: https://www.scotsman.com/news/people/scotsman-obituaries-norman-suddon-scottish-rugby-player-3691587

Wiki hasn’t been updated because the death was so Suddon.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, msc said:

Phil Bennett very unwell now.

BBC obit.

Such an obvious Cup pick.

So I'm assuming nobody bothered? ;)

He was my first substitution and I kind of didn't expect that Spade would accept all my names, oh well...

• Like 1

BBC

Former Wales Captain Ryan Jones diagnosed with early onset dementia. He is 41.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What is quite weird is that current players can see this is probably what awaits them 20+ years down the line, and still they play the game without fear. It's great for the viewer but not sure if it is worth it for them.

Rugby player Ricky Bibey (wiki) is the man found dead after extreme erotic game in Florence.

ANSA previously reported the man was a former professional rugby player.

50 minutes ago, drol said:

Rugby player Ricky Bibey (wiki) is the man found dead after extreme erotic game in Florence.

ANSA previously reported the man was a former professional rugby player.

Are you making shit up?  There isn’t a single mention of cause of death in the link you provided.  

• Facepalm 2

On 17/07/2022 at 10:15, Youth in Asia said:

What is quite weird is that current players can see this is probably what awaits them 20+ years down the line, and still they play the game without fear. It's great for the viewer but not sure if it is worth it for them.

It’s pretty new to be hearing of early onset dementia in the game. Only in the last couple of years. It’s not like there are known cases I can think of diagnosed before 2010 of any player of note getting it so young. 

With rugby it’s of course only certain positions who are such a high risk. But there doesn’t seem easy ways to reduce the risk. One plan is only have injury subs but that is open to abuse and could cause other serious  problems. Axing scrums would majorly reduce the risks but I think Players would rather axe rugby than axe scrums. 

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/ex-wales-rugby-star-andy-24517064

This sums up that a lot of players will continue playing and many people will,oppose any changes. But what will likely happen is eventually major changes will be pushed through quite abruptly.

Rugby Olayers of young ages will be a major part of the DDP in years to come. 

15 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s pretty new to be hearing of early onset dementia in the game. Only in the last couple of years. It’s not like there are known cases I can think of diagnosed before 2010 of any player of note getting it so young. 

With rugby it’s of course only certain positions who are such a high risk. But there doesn’t seem easy ways to reduce the risk. One plan is only have injury subs but that is open to abuse and could cause other serious  problems. Axing scrums would majorly reduce the risks but I think Players would rather axe rugby than axe scrums. 

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/ex-wales-rugby-star-andy-24517064

This sums up that a lot of players will continue playing and many people will,oppose any changes. But what will likely happen is eventually major changes will be pushed through quite abruptly.

Rugby Olayers of young ages will be a major part of the DDP in years to come. 

Yeah, I'm not sure the game will see players going on playing with the same carelessness as is being discussed here. Clearly, when the game went professional it became the norm for players to bulk out, the resulting collisions caused more impact, brain shaking etc. and that generation of players are the ones presenting with widespread dementia and other issues. Basically they went full time, collided more times in training and games than players of previous generations and the sheer mass of colliding players was greater, but their skulls were no thicker than players of previous generations, so their brains were damaged more rapidly. There's a legal challenge taking shape against the game's authorities in this country and Ryan Jones has joined that. The reason I'm thinking things will change is that the causes here are probably too obvious to argue away, the impacts, head traumas and the repeating of the whole thing are so widely evidenced that the main arguments might well involve various people mired in the collective shit trying to blame each other. 

Oh aye, and Crem has it nailed - one of the few areas of activity truly thriving on this depressing oasis is dead pooling.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, I'm not sure the game will see players going on playing with the same carelessness as is being discussed here. Clearly, when the game went professional it became the norm for players to bulk out, the resulting collisions caused more impact, brain shaking etc. and that generation of players are the ones presenting with widespread dementia and other issues. Basically they went full time, collided more times in training and games than players of previous generations and the sheer mass of colliding players was greater, but their skulls were no thicker than players of previous generations, so their brains were damaged more rapidly. There's a legal challenge taking shape against the game's authorities in this country and Ryan Jones has joined that. The reason I'm thinking things will change is that the causes here are probably too obvious to argue away, the impacts, head traumas and the repeating of the whole thing are so widely evidenced that the main arguments might well involve various people mired in the collective shit trying to blame each other. 

Oh aye, and Crem has it nailed - one of the few areas of activity truly thriving on this depressing oasis is dead pooling.

A lot of legal experts think the the legal action will fail through on technical grounds. 

5 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

A lot of legal experts think the the legal action will fail through on technical grounds. 

Yeah, unsure outcome but - either way - the future of rugby will likely be impacted on a massive scale. Even if those in charge get off on a combi of blaming each other for disregarding the growing evidence the medical evidence is likely to grow and convincing a promising athlete to volunteer to be a middle-aged cabbage is likely to prove a hard sell. 

13 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

the future of rugby will likely be impacted on a massive scale. 

And rugby already has too many impacts on a massive scale.

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

And rugby already has too many impacts on a massive scale.

Calm down, marra - there's avid dead poolers looking in here!

9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Yeah, unsure outcome but - either way - the future of rugby will likely be impacted on a massive scale. Even if those in charge get off on a combi of blaming each other for disregarding the growing evidence the medical evidence is likely to grow and convincing a promising athlete to volunteer to be a middle-aged cabbage is likely to prove a hard sell. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/62225228

Boxing has been blatantly dangerous for the Brain for decades and is still gets many many participants so will it put people off? Ditto sports with a higher risk of dying doing them (Isle of Man TT etc.) are still popular as well.

True, but boxing used to be done regularly as a sport in school (50+ years ago), and little chance of that now. People will always want to participate in dangerous sports but over time they would get sidelined from the mainstream, and not actively pushed to kids, leading to less funding and lower salaries. 

It is of course the same problem faced by Rugby League, American NFL and Aussie Rules AFL, even heading a football may have long-term effects. Why confine it to sport, joining the army can also result in similar problems PTSD, injuries etc.

Life would be easier if we all played ping pong and became accountants.