Godot

Rugby Players

On 17/07/2022 at 10:44, drol said:

Rugby player Ricky Bibey (wiki) is the man found dead after extreme erotic game in Florence.

ANSA previously reported the man was a former professional rugby player.

Now turns out it wasn't an "extreme erotic game", rather Bibey died of a heart attack while beating his girlfriend up.

Willie Los'e, who represented Tonga at the 1995 World Cup and played professionally in Japan for eight years before retiring and becoming a commentator, most recently for Sky Sports, has died. He was 55. Los'e was in Cape Town to work for World Rugby at the World Cup Sevens tournament. It starts Saturday.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/300682270/sky-sport-rugby-commentator-willie-lose-dies-aged-55

• Like 1

Nobody died.

Just posting this study that found rugby players are 15 times more likely to get ALS/MND than the general population are, twice as likely to get dementia and three times as likely to get Parkinson's.

15 minutes ago, DoorSlammer said:

Nobody died.

Just posting this study that found rugby players are 15 times more likely to get ALS/MND than the general population are, twice as likely to get dementia and three times as likely to get Parkinson's.

They're also quite likely to get broadsheet obits

Every cloud and that, eh?  B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Considering the beatings they take over several years during their careers, a doubling of the dementia risk doesn't seem to be that much

21 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Considering the beatings they take over several years during their careers, a doubling of the dementia risk doesn't seem to be that much

Dunno, if you're in their family and it's your turn with the adult nappy...

Time for Doddie Weir to have his own thread?

From the match today:

• Like 2

On 06/10/2022 at 16:52, DoorSlammer said:

Nobody died.

It must be way more than twice likely for early onset dementia. Look how many younger players are getting it now. As many as there are ones with ALS/MND. 

• Like 1

Scottish rugby star Scott Hastings expresses survivor's guilt over Clive Millar's death:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-63663006

He also reveals that he's had cancer (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) for the past five years. At the beginning, it wasn't a problem, but "It was not until earlier this year, when his treatment had to be stepped up a gear and he needed chemotherapy, that he started to speak about it outwith his immediate family."

Is the treatment losing efficacy?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

He also reveals that he's had cancer (non-Hodgkin's lymphoma) for the past five years. At the beginning, it wasn't a problem, but "It was not until earlier this year, when his treatment had to be stepped up a gear and he needed chemotherapy, that he started to speak about it outwith his immediate family."

Is the treatment losing efficacy?

No - I read it as it being successfully dealt with five years ago with radiotherapy.  But now it has returned, as non-Hodgkins lymphoma often does, and this time he's having chemotherapy.

"Scott was diagnosed with cancer five years ago, although he kept it quiet after being told it was treatable and that he would only require radiotherapy.

It was not until earlier this year, when his treatment had to be stepped up a gear and he needed chemotherapy, that he started to speak about it outwith his immediate family."

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

No - I read it as it being successfully dealt with five years ago with radiotherapy.  But now it has returned, as non-Hodgkins lymphoma often does, and this time he's having chemotherapy.

"Scott was diagnosed with cancer five years ago, although he kept it quiet after being told it was treatable and that he would only require radiotherapy.

It was not until earlier this year, when his treatment had to be stepped up a gear and he needed chemotherapy, that he started to speak about it outwith his immediate family."

It's not mutually exclusive though, is it?

Yes, the cancer was gone, but tumour-suppressive treatment often continues to keep it from coming back. And now it did.

I think in the years to come we will have a rugby player on most death-lists due to the dementia surge. 

Do we know who are the oldest living players from each Tier 1 Nations? The ones I could find are Roy Roper from New Zealand and Eric Tweedale from Australia. John Vincent Smith was supposed to be the oldest British player but I don't know who replaced him after he died.

1 hour ago, whoismakoto said:

Do we know who are the oldest living players from each Tier 1 Nations? The ones I could find are Roy Roper from New Zealand and Eric Tweedale from Australia. John Vincent Smith was supposed to be the oldest British player but I don't know who replaced him after he died.

*oldest English international player

Like football, rugby union subdivides into the home nations when played on an international level (apart from at the Olympics). 

I don't know the answer to your question but I do know that there are no English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish international players who are anywhere near as old as Roper or Tweedale, which is probably why it hasn't come to attention.

On 13/11/2022 at 15:01, YoungWillz said:

Time for Doddie Weir to have his own thread?

From the match today:

17 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Doddie Weir has died.  Doddie Weir: Former Scotland lock dies at 52 after suffering from motor neurone disease - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63768331

I did bloody well say....

• Like 1