Godot

Rugby Players

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Rugby League hooker Tony Duke, who publicised his dementia battle last year, reportedly dead: https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/tony-duke-passes-away-hull-8398873

He was part of Hull FC's Challenge Cup winning team in 1982, won against Widnes on a replay.

I read about this yesterday and was surprised he apparently has not a Wiki page.

• Like 2

Bernard Lapasset, French Rugby administrator, former head of the IRB (now World Rugby), dead at 75. He was also instrumental in the bid to get the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

• Like 1

Prediction that the dementia  rate will rise and rise. 

So two further players alongside Steve Thompson have been diagnosed. 29th anniversary coming uo so odds are they might get identified this year. 

On Reddit people debated which current players might get early dementia. 

https://www.totalrl.com/ex-st-helens-warrington-wolves-and-leeds-rhinos-prop-nick-fozzard-lists-incredible-number-of-injuries-suffered-from-playing-rugby-league/
Rugby League also suffering many cases. Nick Fozzard the most recent. 

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/alix-popham-dangers-repeat-concussion

Alix Popham says it’s the training that is the worse part.

His dementia seems at relatively early stage - I can see a lot of these rugby players having lengthy battles. Steve Thompson has spoken about 50 year olds in care homes and he is only 44 so sounds like he seems to expect he will be that age before he needs one. 

Doing some research I think Simon Shaw might be one has spoken before about memory issues. Some people think Martin Johnson could be one as his television opera des have become less cognitive. 

Crem, you're talking to yourself now and it's getting a little bit worrying. Go outside and get some fresh air.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Crem, you're talking to yourself now and it's getting a little bit worrying. Go outside and get some fresh air.

Sorry. It’s just I remember these players playing and it scares me a lot just how many players I’ve watched over the last twenty years will get dementia in the next couple of decades.

• Like 1

Former All Black centre Bruce Robertson died yesterday aged 71, after a 'lengthy health battle'.

• Like 2

Chris Simpson Daniel has dementia. Older brother of James Simpson Daniel. Very worrying someone who retired at 23 has the Brain damage for early onset dementia. 

Alfred George Manu, 53, from an unexpected collapse.  He played in New Zealand's rugby league premiership, before opting for a life in the Cook Islands.   Maybe not famous in the traditional sense, but he would have been a household name in his adopted homeland (population 17,000) and I liked his obit on the rarely cited Cook Islands News website, so thought I'd give him a mention.

With early onset Dementia what is the survival rate? Especially someone in their mid 40's?

On 07/06/2023 at 14:57, ladyfiona said:

With early onset Dementia what is the survival rate? Especially someone in their mid 40's?

Well nobody recovers from it but I imagine he could lIve for another 10 years or longer. He is still able to give interviews etc and is obviously psychically fit.  

Liviu Hodorcă was a Romanian rugby player, died aged 61, played for Steaua Bucharest and the Romanian national team, won the national championship 6 times and finished runner-up 3 times,participated in the 1987 rugby world cup

https://www.dcnews.ro/doliu-in-rugby-ul-romanesc-liviu-hodorca-a-incetat-din-viata-la-varsta-de-63-de-ani_920128.html

On 02/11/2021 at 23:14, The Old Crem said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59142623

Former New Zealand prop Carl Hayman has revealed he has been diagnosed with early-onset dementia aged just 41.

What year will Rugby get banned? I am predicting 2027- it will be much sooner than most expect. 

And now the dementia ridden Carl Hyman has fallen off his bike. All Blacks great hospitalised after accident leaves him in ‘serious condition’ (msn.com)

BBC Wiki

South African rugby player Nick Koster has died aged 34. He played for Bristol and Bath. No cause of death revealed at this stage. 

• Like 2