Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Joseph Barbera

Scooby dooby don't.

Hurrah for 12... for a while it looked like it 2006 was going to finish way back.

From Boo-Boo to boo hoo, his graduation proves that DeathList is smarter than the average Barbera.

Hooray! we've equalled last year.

That's all folks!

That was Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes GR, nothing to do with Barbera.

Drat and Double Drat!

Sacrificing speed for accuracy I'm afraid :rip:

That's all folks!

He's gone - just reported on Sky news :)

What a surprise. 2006 isn't such a bad year after all. :D

regards,

Hein

Well the owd' bugger has finally gone. Bit of a bugger, but all things must pass. You can't beat Tom & Jerry. Hows the other owd' codger, is he still breathing or is he pushing up the poppies as well ??

Been pushing up the poppies since he was a success for us in 2001 : William Hanna

Joseph Barbera is the 12th success of 2006.

He is the 149th success since 1987.

The 2006 deathlist is now in 2nd Place shared with 2004 and 2005 out of a possible 20 lists.

The next death will be DLs 150th. Lets hope it's someone special. :D

Yabba Dabba Dead! Talk about smokin Joe animates success number 12. Finally laying his his pad and pen to rest. Hell the man was drawing cartoons in the 1930's, well I always liked Tom and Jerry.

Nice surprise. Joseph Barbara’s demise gives us our 12th graduate from the class of 2006, equaling last year's total.

Today is my birthday, and when I woke up I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if somebody on deathlist.net died, just for my b-day?" Lo and behold, Joesph Barbera did! Kinda sad though, I liked the shows he made.

Today is my birthday, and when I woke up I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if somebody on deathlist.net died, just for my b-day?" Lo and behold, Joesph Barbera did! Kinda sad though, I liked the shows he made.

Yeah same here and sad he died. When I loaded the site just now and I saw the number had risen to 12 I got that sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw who it was. Good for the DeathList though to notch up another name before the year is out and so soon after the General, I believe this will be the final one of the year now. It's been a prolific year and Happy Birthday! If only it had been Thatcher! :D

I'm kind of curious about this: who decides the spelling of yabba dabba doo if in fact that is the correct spelling? I suppose it would be the original script writer unless the expression is older than the Flintstones. It's not in my dictionary.

The double letters would seem extraneous. How, for example, would you pronounce yaba daba do differently? Also, are the gaps necessary? Why couldn't it be one word: yabadabado! Any Flintstone scholars on the forum?

Guest ok, i'll bite...
I'm kind of curious about this: who decides the spelling of yabba dabba doo if in fact that is the correct spelling? I suppose it would be the original script writer unless the expression is older than the Flintstones. It's not in my dictionary.

The double letters would seem extraneous. How, for example, would you pronounce yaba daba do differently? Also, are the gaps necessary? Why couldn't it be one word: yabadabado! Any Flintstone scholars on the forum?

I would have thought that just one consonant in between the "a"s would lend it more toward the softer pronunciation (as the first "a" in "Lava"), whereas the double consonant would lend itself more often to the harder sound (as the first "a" in "abbatoir").

IMHO, therefore, Yabba Dabba Doo can only be pronounced one way; the way Fred Flintstone says it.

As for the gaps... one could, perhaps, hypehate the words (Yabba-Dabba-Doo), but I think to concatenate them is unneccessary, and would lead readers to intonate it incorrectly, or employ incorrect cadence.

Guest once bitten, twice... whatever

I would have thought that just one consonant in between the "a"s would lend it more toward the softer pronunciation (as the first "a" in "Lava"), whereas the double consonant would lend itself more often to the harder sound (as the first "a" in "abbatoir").

IMHO, therefore, Yabba Dabba Doo can only be pronounced one way; the way Fred Flintstone says it.

As for the gaps... one could, perhaps, hypehate the words (Yabba-Dabba-Doo), but I think to concatenate them is unneccessary, and would lead readers to intonate it incorrectly, or employ incorrect cadence.

hypehate? or hyphenate?

to concatenate.

Respect, guest, great word. You don't get many of those to the pound on Big Brother.

I wonder if the extra consonants are removed whether it improves the speed of pronunciation and whether the double letters slow things down a bit. Fred liked to talk fast so I'm still not sure how necessary they are. Still he did pronounce yabba as in Abba so you must be right. Thank you for taking the trouble.

As a northerner, lava is one of the few words for which I would use a long "a", as in carsel and barth (as they pronounce castle and bath in the south of England). I'm not going to get in to a lather about it.

From the Hanna Barbera website, which appears to mention absolutely nothing about Joey B dying, which seems a bit ungrateful:

http://www2.warnerbros.com/web/hannabarber...dist&rank=1

This would seem to confirm the correct spelling is Yabba Dabba Doo! Useless wiki doesn't answer where the phrase came from, but it appears to have originated on the Flinstones, so Godot's assumption the script writer (or maybe person who wrote the theme song lyrics) was the one who decided on the spelling and spacing seems most likely correct.

Such sad news, for me, more for you,

Let me just say: Yabba, Yabba Dabba, Dabba Doo.

(to be read with respectful pause between first and second Yabba and first and second Dabba.)

Poetry Man 12/19/2006

Sad to see Barbera go, but his death puts me on equal pegging with my father-in-law.

Aww this is so sad. I love Tom and Jerry, not so keen on the Flintstones but you can't have everything.

I have been sad since the day they cancelled Where's Huddles? It was a truly great carttoon show and it showed lack of vision when the fools at CBS refused to extend it beyond the summer They had a really good theme song too.

There's a family down the street the Huddles

The McCoys they live next door

I can't seem to remember the rest of the words. I'm sure BanCheeseandScream will know the answer.....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Out of the DDP top 10. :D:P

Come on Gloria Stuart, it is your destiny :)

By the way, sorry, and somewhat surprised, to see him go. He seemed still quite active, so I thought he might go on for a few years yet.

He seemed still quite active, so I thought he might go on for a few years yet.

Now' he's just still :):D:P:D:):P

• Like 1

They showed some of my favourite HB cartoon (Stop the pigeon) on the news today as an example of the great man's work. The odd thing about the cartoon, though, was that no matter how far away from the aerodrome dastardly was when he or his crew had their inevitable crash/plummet scene, they always seemed to fall back through the roof of the hangar again. How the heck did that work? Now Mr B. is dead, I'll never know.