Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Joseph Barbera

BHB's birthday reminded me that today is the day I've been waiting for: Happy 95th birthday to the man who's been on more of my deadpools than anyone else!

Oh and by the way, the reason I was waiting for today was that today is when finals are over... I'm not that obsessed... :lol:

BHB's birthday reminded me that today is the day I've been waiting for: Happy 95th birthday to the man who's been on more of my deadpools than anyone else!

Oh and by the way, the reason I was waiting for today was that today is when finals are over... I'm not that obsessed... :lol:

My series of dreams based on Barbera have so far been unsuccessful.

Although we have the whole year to sit back and watch his wonderful cartoons.

If this kills time for some of you people go right ahead. I have always enjoyed Tom and Jerry.....

With your high standards about post quality, I can't help but note this rare miss.

Now that's what they call a Post Whore. :blink:

Anyway I was just watching Tom and Jerry. It is one of the few cartoons I like really.

I enjoy how none of them speak. It's very relaxing. Also gives me a good laugh.

Joe Barbera has lived long for making other people happy. :lol:

Joe Barbera has lived long for making other people happy

How ironic, then, that his passing will be the cause of happiness and celebration in the land of the derby dead pool.

With your high standards about post quality, I can't help but note this rare miss.

Now that's what they call a Post Whore. :ghost:

..... and some people accuse me of being a post whore ;)

Now that's what they call a Post Whore. :lol:

..... and some people accuse me of being a post whore :lol:

So yapping and talking and simply just screaming about the subject of Post Whore makes you qualify?

It's becoming easy to get that name. Soon "if it allready isn't" this name won't even be an insult.

don't give fred quimby any credit for t&j under anyone. apparently he was a miserable old sod who never understood why t&j were funny, and was permanently in a sulk because he'd been appointed producer on an animation unit and not on pictures with real live actors (i know, hard as it is to digest, t&j weren't real). but, on reflection, perhaps we should be glad that he left h&b alone as look at the mess chuck jones (otherwise a flawless producer) made of t&j when he was sic'ed on 'em.

bill and joe (as we call them around here) were great businessmen first and artists eighty-second: those bloody awful recycled backgrounds and ten-frames-a-second jerkiness. a lot of it looks dog rough when you watch it on boomerang next to looney tunes, t&j, or tex avery.

but hey, he invented hong kong phooey and he's over 90 - i should be so lucky.

Sometimes the best job a boss can do is to leave the creatives to get on with it. That's what Quimby did. I always look for his name first on a T&J cartoon. For me it's a mark of quality. They never made a bad one when he was in charge even if he was miserable and bitter. In fact you make the point yourself. I don't know much about animation quality but I don't think Loony Tunes ever managed the subtlety of T&J, the animation equivalent of Laurel and Hardy. My favourite is the one where Tom wears a Zoot suit and sings: "Is you is or is you ain't my mama..." or maybe Jerry sang that bit. Anyway, brilliant.

Sometimes the best job a boss can do is to leave the creatives to get on with it. That's what Quimby did. I always look for his name first on a T&J cartoon. For me it's a mark of quality. They never made a bad one when he was in charge even if he was miserable and bitter. In fact you make the point yourself. I don't know much about animation quality but I don't think Loony Tunes ever managed the subtlety of T&J, the animation equivalent of Laurel and Hardy. My favourite is the one where Tom wears a Zoot suit and sings: "Is you is or is you ain't my mama..." or maybe Jerry sang that bit. Anyway, brilliant.

I too enjoyed that episode. You are exquisitely correct Godot, Quimby did some excellent work with regards to Tom and Jerry.

so, given quimby's grumbling non-involvement during their best years, does this mean that your 'best work' artistically could be to actually do nothing? if so, i think i may have discovered the reason for my own crap career, and will retire immediately. after all, loves, it's not what you actually say, it's the spaces you leave between the words...

As long as you are content and happy Pulphack, that is the main thing. Are you truly and totally happy and contented?

?????

are you on the same planet?

The same planet as who (or should that be whom?)? I am unsure as to what you are asking Pulphack, please elaborate.

ok, i'll keep it simple. your question was very strange. like everyone, i'm happy sometimes, sad sometimes. it's called being human. and, frankly, none of your business. ok, the joke in the post you were responding to wasn't that funny, but your response seemed so obtuse as to be off the map. unless it was a joke as unfunny as mine, and i'm being obtuse.

Guest Guest

wasnt he convicted of some kind of drugs crime back in the 50,s :P

Who Bennett Cerf or Pulphack? Either way, I don't think they were born then so a conviction is out of the question.

On another tack, our man Joseph Barbera is often mistaken by net surfers for his namesake, a right nasty piece of work AKA Joe the Barber.

There's many a creative prefers a dead executive producer.

That's all folks!

He's gone - just reported on Sky news :rip:

Does that mean he's in suspended animation?

Guest Up Yer Trumper

Well the owd' bugger has finally gone. Bit of a bugger, but all things must pass. You can't beat Tom & Jerry. Hows the other owd' codger, is he still breathing or is he pushing up the poppies as well ??

From Boo-Boo to boo hoo, his graduation proves that DeathList is smarter than the average Barbera.

Hooray! we've equalled last year.

That's all folks!

That was Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes GR, nothing to do with Barbera.

Yaba daba doo!

Flintstones, H&B.