Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

And similarly a new "Near Misses" topic.

regard,

Hein

I can't see a "Not Famous" type thread at present, so I guess I'll post it here.

Maurice Cook, former Fulham, Watford & Reading footballer, has died, aged 75. Not sure if he died in 2007, or 2006, as the only mention thus far is this mention towards the bottom of this page on the BBC:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rem/6222313.stm (15.00)

Either way, a sad way to start the year, and takes a small gloss off a 6-0 win for the Royals today. Cook's other two teams played each other by weird coincidence today.

EDIT:

He died New Year's Eve. Obit from Watford FC Obit

I can't see a "Not Famous" type thread at present, so I guess I'll post it here.

You did that exactly as I intended. I closed and unpinned the "Not Exactly Famous" topic. I see little reason for more than one "dead but not listed" topic to exist.

We may want to change this one's title to something less contentious. I considered "Near Mrs", but I fear that only causes confusion.

regards,

Hein

Great quote considering it was a heart attack that killed her;

Outgoing Chancellor Wolfgang Schuessel called her "a remarkable politician and an exemplary sportswoman whom we will not forget".

"As a human being, Liese Prokop was an example of a great heart and of the ability both to listen and to take decisions," he said.

She died on sunday so doesn't really belong in the 2007 thread.

Our neighbours at www.deathlist.at must have a nice new year, with all that excitement.

regards,

Hein

Someone I've actually heard of has died, and it's only January 1.

Ernie Koy, 97 year-old former baseball player.

Also, mentioned in the ideas and possibilities thread last year, Teddy Kollek. If anyone paid attention, it may be the first DDP hit of the year...

Also, mentioned in the ideas and possibilities thread last year, Teddy Kollek. If anyone paid attention, it may be the first DDP hit of the year...

And he has a BBC obit

You did that exactly as I intended. I closed and unpinned the "Not Exactly Famous" topic. I see little reason for more than one "dead but not listed" topic to exist.

We may want to change this one's title to something less contentious. I considered "Near Mrs", but I fear that only causes confusion.

regards,

Hein

I'm in favour of the one thread. Apart from anything else it makes it easier if you're posting a death, you can open this up without having to check the other thread by a search. We had quite a few duplications last year.

Here's an odd near miss: The US press is reporting that US officials are upset that Iraq hanged Hussein when they did, adding that the US ambassador had requested that they hold off for two weeks.

From Rolling Stone on line, one of George Harrison's stalkers:

FORMER GEORGE HARRISON STALKER FOUND DEAD

The body of Cristin Keleher, the woman who broke into former Beatle GEORGE HARRISON's Maui estate in 1999, was found dead in Lake Tahoe on Sunday. Investigators claim she may have been a victim of a murder suicide.

Happy New Year to you all! Here is my first contribution for 2007:

Philippa Pearce

Author of the best-selling "Tom's Midnight Garden" and other children's books, has died aged 86. It appears that this happened way back on December 21st, but I suppose it got missed...

Investigators claim she may have been a victim of a murder suicide.

Confusion! Murder, suicide or both?

regards,

Hein

regards,

Hein

I believe it was a murder & suicide pact. She herself was murdered, and the man who murdered her, turned the gun on himself as the bodies were found side by side. As she wasn't restrained in anyway, or it seems there was no attempt made to get away, police believe she was willing to be shot.

regards,

Hein

I believe it was a murder & suicide pact. She herself was murdered, and the man who murdered her, turned the gun on himself as the bodies were found side by side. As she wasn't restrained in anyway, or it seems there was no attempt made to get away, police believe she was willing to be shot.

Perhaps she thought they were dogging.

Only the shot to the head was fatal...

Philippa Pearce

Author of the best-selling "Tom's Midnight Garden" and other children's books, has died aged 86. It appears that this happened way back on December 21st, but I suppose it got missed...

No, it was reported at the time here. (haven't got the time to look for it now, though)

How very odd, this death was all over the broadsheets just before Christmas, then comes back into the news in 2007.

Philippa Pearce

No, it was reported at the time here. (haven't got the time to look for it now, though)

How very odd, this death was all over the broadsheets just before Christmas, then comes back into the news in 2007.

Apologies if that is the case. It did ring a little bell that I'd seen something on here in the pre-Christmas haze, so I used the DL search engine for a mention in the last 30 days and it came back blank.

North Korea's Foreign Minister Paek Nam-sun has died.

Link

North Korea's Foreign Minister Paek Nam-sun has died.

Link

Darn it, we had him tipped as an early nominee for DL 2008. But he Paek-ed too soon.

Apologies if that is the case. It did ring a little bell that I'd seen something on here in the pre-Christmas haze, so I used the DL search engine for a mention in the last 30 days and it came back blank.

Sorry about that VSB, I didn't mean it to sound as a personal criticism.

I just find it utterly bizarre how the Independent can have an obituary here published on the 23rd December yet the BBC and many other outlets are referring to it as "breaking news" almost 2 weeks on. :lol: