Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

The Dowager Lady Ponsonby of Shulbrede (nee Windsor), Maureen Estelle.

She died on 17th April in Hove, according to an announcement in yesterday's Guardian (can't find a web link). I have no idea who she is but thought she was worth a mention by virtue of her name. I guess she must be a distant relative of the Queen.

Warren Avis, founder of Avis Rent-A-Car, dead at 92.

Time to rent a Hearse....... :)

Guest Guest
Kate Walsh is dead :ph34r:

I'm VERY suprised that no one picked her for the DDP! :)

Guest Guest

Alan Ball becomes the second member of the 66 World Cup winning team to head to the great changing room in the sky

Alan Ball becomes the second member of the 66 World Cup winning team to head to the great changing room in the sky

This is a shame.

Heart attack, so I ascertain from szhengd's link. Given the high, squeaky pitch of his voice I bet those last gasps for breath would have made an interesting ringtone.

Cheers,

BHB

This is a shame.

Heart attack, so I ascertain from szhengd's link. Given the high, squeaky pitch of his voice I bet those last gasps for breath would have made an interesting ringtone.

Cheers,

BHB

That's a bit of a shock. That's the legacy of stressful football management...

I met Alan Ball & his wife Lesley in 2003 & it seems inconvenciable that they are both now dead.

The youngest member of the 1966 squad (2nd to die), but what isn't being mentioned is that he is the 6th member of the 1970 squad to die (and on the same day, one year on, as another of the 6, Brian Labone, died.

That seems amazing when you contrast that to earlier teams & nations (say France 1958). An excellent player, lest we forget, both internationally, and for many more years domestically.

A decent manager too, bit unlucky with Manchester City's relegation. Because he was seen as a squeaky, ginger shortarse, this made him a figure of fun, but he was a good, genuine guy, who utterly adored his wife & was devastated when she died. That's the only comfort, that he might be with her now.

More recently, he was seen on the BBC's World Cup coverage in 2006. One of the last things he did was watch the Man U-Milan game last night and then.. gone, of a heart-attack, just like that. Very, very sad.

:)

Being announced that Alan Ball has received the final red card

It's a rather apt name for his profession.

Guess we could say he's kicked it now

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-1262501,00.html

:ph34r: That is a nasty shock, he was one of Exeter City's better managers.

He led Exeter to some memorable victories over Argyle, the 3-0 at Home Park, a 5-0 v Torquay, the countless other derby victories, the 6-4 v Fulham, the 4-6 v Reading, the goals, the excitement, the fun and laughs,... Thanks for the memories Bally, you will be sadly missed. The Heaven Eleven have gained a great winger and a top man to boot. :)

:) That is a nasty shock, he was one of Exeter City's better managers.

He led Exeter to the 4-6 v Reading, the goals, the excitement, the fun and laughs,...

What a game that was! - most fans still remember that fondly, even in this shiny new Premiership mode we're in. We expected a tough game, which we got, but to score 6 away from home! Quinn, Lovell & Taylor two each. Happy days...

I met Alan Ball & his wife Lesley in 2003 & it seems inconvenciable that they are both now dead.

The youngest member of the 1966 squad (2nd to die), but what isn't being mentioned is that he is the 6th member of the 1970 squad to die (and on the same day, one year on, as another of the 6, Brian Labone, died.

That seems amazing when you contrast that to earlier teams & nations (say France 1958). An excellent player, lest we forget, both internationally, and for many more years domestically.

A decent manager too, bit unlucky with Manchester City's relegation. Because he was seen as a squeaky, ginger shortarse, this made him a figure of fun, but he was a good, genuine guy, who utterly adored his wife & was devastated when she died. That's the only comfort, that he might be with her now.

More recently, he was seen on the BBC's World Cup coverage in 2006. One of the last things he did was watch the Man U-Milan game last night and then.. gone, of a heart-attack, just like that. Very, very sad.

:ph34r:

6th? Who are the other 4? Make that 3...Osgood...make that 2...Astle..

Incidentially that tournament was played in Mexico...at high altitude...in the afternoon... :)

You mentioned his wife and they were a real team together - she'd go everywhere with him, even to training when he was a manager. I think her death hit him hard.

Let's not forget he was a great player. In the aftermath of the recent WC debacle, there was the contrary view that the '66 winners were a bunch of cloggers compared to the '06, but team spirit and all that was the key. Nonsense. England had great players: Banks, Moore, Jack and Bobby Charlton, Peters, Ball etc. The 1970 squad was even better....

when I saw the "bonfire" headline on The Standard I was so hoping he went up in a Ball of flames, but sadly not.

Burning.gif

:)

Everton Legend, RIP.

Strange, as i was with Alan Ball's good friend Le Tissier last night, watching the Utd game.. they used to play golf all the time. Big Shock.

6th? Who are the other 4? Make that 3...Osgood...make that 2...Astle..

Keith Newton. Died in 1998 just short of his 57th birthday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Newton

And how could you forget one of our faves, Alan Ball's rival in the squeaky voice department, dear old Emlyn!

:) indeed. Gobsmacked and saddened!

One of Australia's finest fighter pilots, Wg Cdr Bobby Gibbes, died a couple of weeks ago. He has now earned a well deserved full obit in The Daily Telegraph. :)

"He was still flying in his eighties, when he built a miniature Cri Cri aerobatic aircraft in his living room - although he had to demolish a wall after miscalculating the wingspan. Gibbes flew the aircraft until the civil aviation authorities - much to his annoyance - grounded him when he was 85."

David Halberstam, journalist who - probably - made a noticable difference to attitudes to the Vietnam war.

David Halberstam, journalist who - probably - made a noticable difference to attitudes to the Vietnam war.

Oh my dear Maryport, please feel free to see a counsellor if you can't face the shame when you realise...

:) dave / iain has already reported his death in this thread here:

http://www.deathlist.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=96000

The 6 to have died of the 1970 squad that PLAYED are Bobby Moore, Peter Osgood, Jeff Astle, Keith Newton, Brian Labone & now Alan Ball.

Emlyn Hughes, who didn't play in the tournament, is the 7th deceased player.

That's almost a third of the squad gone in just 37 years. :)

Compare that to other England World Cup Squads - 2 dead of 22 for 1966, 3 of 22 for 1962, and 5 of 22 for 1958, you start to see how unusual the high attrittion rate from the 1970 squad is.

The 6 to have died of the 1970 squad that PLAYED are Bobby Moore, Peter Osgood, Jeff Astle, Keith Newton, Brian Labone & now Alan Ball.

Emlyn Hughes, who didn't play in the tournament, is the 7th deceased player.

That's almost a third of the squad gone in just 37 years. :)

Compare that to other England World Cup Squads - 2 dead of 22 for 1966, 3 of 22 for 1962, and 5 of 22 for 1958, you start to see how unusual the high attrittion rate from the 1970 squad is.

as opposed to the Scotland world cup squads which were generally dead on their feet as soon as they got on the pitch...

The fomer Derbyshire and England fast bowler Les Jackson has died at the age of 86. He played in only two Tests, twelve years apart, despite taking 1733 first class wickets at under eighteen apiece.