Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

According to the Independent Catholic News, Lord Nolan has died aged 78.

He came to prominence as chairman of the Committee on Standards in Public Life in th 1990s (remember "the Nolan Report"?)

Apparently the "Committee on Standards in Public Life" established 7 "Principles of Public Life" which people in public life (e.g. MPs, Civil Servants, and members of Quangos and NHS bodies) should adhere to:

Accountability, Selflessness, Honesty, Objectivity, Leadership, Integrity and Opennsess.

Easily remembered by the acronym:

"ASHOLIO"

So to clarify, basically you are saying that Tony, David and the guy from the party that will never get into power and has recently had more leaders than Southampton FC have had football managers follow the ASHOLIO principle? That was an inspired bit of work. Though I think he may have missed out these equally important credentials

Big-Headed

Underachieving

Manipulative

Fickle

Untrustworthy

Nonsensical

Loathesome

Opinionated

Vacuous

Evil

Rotten

Slimy

Any other suggestions most welcome

the first ever female defence minister of Ecuador has been killed in a plane crash just 10 days after taking over

It says in the report that it was a collision between two military helicopters. No mention of a plane or even an aeroplane in the news report.

Guest dave

wife of former senator and presidential candidate George McGovern has died aged 85

Guest Guest

Taliban leader killed in air strike according to reports

Taliban leader killed in air strike according to reports

I have highlighted the operative word in the headline for your benefit

NATO says may have killed senior Taliban leader

Short story writer Daniel Stern has died aged 79

Not only did he win many prestigious awards for his stories, he also:

- Played cello with Charlie Parker

- Played cello with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra*

- Was a vice president of Warner Brothers Studios, CBS and McCann Erickson

- Was a Professor at the University of Houston

Sheesh! No wonder he wrote short stories!

* It bugs me that our American friends would just say "the Indianapolis Symphony". Maybe a candidate for Room 101?

Short story writer Daniel Stern has died aged 79

Not only did he win many prestigious awards for his stories, he also:

- Played cello with Charlie Parker

- Played cello with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra*

- Was a vice president of Warner Brothers Studios, CBS and McCann Erickson

- Was a Professor at the University of Houston

Sheesh! No wonder he wrote short stories!

* It bugs me that our American friends would just say "the Indianapolis Symphony". Maybe a candidate for Room 101?

Probably to differentiate from ensembles such as the Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra :lol:

I wonder if they ever supported Jim Nabors when he sings at the start of the Indianapolis 500 each year

Secret Sanata Larry Stewart has died aged 58. More here

Secret Sanata Larry Stewart has died aged 58. More here

Edit: I see he has been mentioned. Should have known.

OK, so I wasn't paying attention. It was on radio four this aft. I'll go sit in the corner now against the wall for f**k's sake.

Guest dave
13 dead in Scottish car crashes ok its not a famous person does it have to be? its still an unusual event to have such a high death toll in a UK road accident so I thought it was worth a mention.Feel free to chastiseme if its not appropriate for this forum and I will not repeat my mistake

13 dead in Scottish car crashes ok its not a famous person does it have to be? its still an unusual event to have such a high death toll in a UK road accident so I thought it was worth a mention.Feel free to chastiseme if its not appropriate for this forum and I will not repeat my mistake

Hey Dave, it's a free forum. My Aunt Fanny died last Friday from an age overdose. Death: it happens a lot.

I heard David Rattray a couple of times speaking at the Royal Geographical Society. He was one of the most evocative speakers I've heard - put you right there at Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. I had looked forward to visiting his place out there one day. Now maybe not.

Damien Murphy 23 year old Irish Jockey, didn't regain consciousness after an accident last Friday.

Damien Murphy 23 year old Irish Jockey, didn't regain consciousness after an accident last Friday.

Perhaps they shoed the horse upside down thus becoming Ajay's Badluck

Speaking of which, there must be footage on line, it'd be like an F1 shunt, without the flames.

Marcheline Bertrand, actress and mother of Angelina Jolie has died

I'll dig out a link in a little bit

edited to say: I just noticed there's a post from Windsor on the DDP thread about this, so this post can be either deleted or moved

Harry Melbourne creator of Freddo Frog has died at the age of 94

Rattray obit

"To listen to David Rattray narrate the story of Isandlwana was akin to watching the best-scripted, best-directed and best-produced movie Hollywood's finest studios could put out," one South African commentator recalled. "It was goose-bump stuff."

edited to say: I just noticed there's a post from Windsor on the DDP thread about this, so this post can be either deleted or moved

What I don't get is that of the following list of possible surnames: Voight (father's name), Bertrand, Miller (first husband), Thornton (second husband), Pitt (might as well be third husband and father of her child), that crazy Angelina chick calls herself "Jolie", apparently her middle name. Plus there was the Billy Bob's vial of blood thing, and making out with her brother at The Oscars a few years back.

Headcase. I mean, I would, but only for a while.......

What I don't get is that of the following list of possible surnames: Voight (father's name), Bertrand, Miller (first husband), Thornton (second husband), Pitt (might as well be third husband and father of her child), that crazy Angelina chick calls herself "Jolie", apparently her middle name. Plus there was the Billy Bob's vial of blood thing, and making out with her brother at The Oscars a few years back.

I would, and I'm a happily married heterosexual mother of two. She's lush.

Former trade and industry secretary, Paul Channon has died at the age of 71

I would, and I'm a happily married heterosexual mother of two. She's lush.

Only until she wanted the blood. At that point, all bets are off. I give enough of that sh*t to my doctors.