Magere Hein

The Dead - 2007

Can't find a link to an obit but Ed Cusick, award winning poet, academic and former member of indie-almost-made-it band The Room has died, 51 yrs old. Link above is to a little of his work.

Got to mention Rudolf August Oetker who died on Tuesday, if only because I once got a voucher for a free pizza from his company (one of the few perks I ever got working for Asda). The pizza wasn't worth what you'd've had to pay for it, though.

Turkish - Armenian writer Hrant Dink assassinated.

Which leads this noob (i.e. me) to ask to murders suicides and the like count or is it bona fide maladies and accidents that count?

Fact file from the Armeniapedia (beats the Encyclopedia Britannica on name front methinks)

http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Hrant_Dink

Which leads this noob (i.e. me) to ask to murders suicides and the like count or is it bona fide maladies and accidents that count?

Fact file from the Armeniapedia (beats the Encyclopedia Britannica on name front methinks)

A slightly belated DL welcome MC. Not only do violent deaths count for DL purposes, they are of also more newsworthy than death through natural causes, and are likely to generate increased activity on the site. It is very difficult to predict these sorts of things, and I'm not sure if a DL nominee has ever died violently (cue scurrying to review old lists). Having said that I'd always endorse the nomination of the latest head of Al Qaeda in Iraq or people of similar ilk, but the Committee elders generally dismiss such notions.

I'm pretty sure other dead pool sites award increased points for people who are killed as opposed to merely dying.

I'm pretty sure other dead pool sites award increased points for people who are killed as opposed to merely dying.

Like a Brucie bonus! (er ok that reference is only going to work if you're British)

Thank-you! Though I feel this death spotting is going to be more of a distraction than I need right now - it's morbidly addictive

Here is the BBC link.

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but former WWE wrestler Bam Bam Bigalow has passed away.

Denny Doherty, lead singer of the Mamas And The Papas has died aged 66. I've tried to search for a decent pun in their back catalogue about this, but I've not found one. Curse him for not dying on a Monday.

Denny Doherty, lead singer of the Mamas And The Papas has died aged 66. I've tried to search for a decent pun in their back catalogue about this, but I've not found one.

Ah well..you'll have to use his name then - Denny Dead Den..

Denny Doherty, lead singer of the Mamas And The Papas has died aged 66. I've tried to search for a decent pun in their back catalogue about this, but I've not found one.

Bugger. I'm quite sad about that actually(I know he was a bit of tit but I love The Mamas and the Papas). Someone has him on my pool of death and I thought at the time, well that's one I don't want to see die but I'm sure he won't anyway. How wrong can you be?

Also, here's the BBC link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6281309.stm

Denny Doherty, lead singer of the Mamas And The Papas has died aged 66. I've tried to search for a decent pun in their back catalogue about this, but I've not found one. Curse him for not dying on a Monday.

Strange that.

Only a few days ago I was looking at potential 2008 candidates & for some reason he popped into my head as an "off the wall" potential choice (not being aware of his illness). Hardly surprising, therefore, that he should die a few days later... :D

Great shame, though. :D

Strange that.

Only a few days ago I was looking at potential 2008 candidates & for some reason he popped into my head as an "off the wall" potential choice (not being aware of his illness). Hardly surprising, therefore, that he should die a few days later... :D

Great shame, though. :D

I think it's a combined effort OoO, I had pencilled him just last weekend on a list of candidates for 2008 with a note to research more into his condition. Oh well, at least it's saved me some time looking up his details.

I think it's a combined effort OoO, I had pencilled him just last weekend on a list of candidates for 2008 with a note to research more into his condition. Oh well, at least it's saved me some time looking up his details.

I might've known you were behind it somehow :D:D

Couldn't add Francis Pym, Baroness Jeger, Jimmy Langley, Hans Ruesch & Les Leston to your list as well? :D

Couldn't add Francis Pym...

What about Lord Carrington (born 1919), if we're dealing with ancient Tory Foreign Secretaries?

I might've known you were behind it somehow :D:D

Couldn't add Francis Pym, Baroness Jeger, Jimmy Langley, Hans Ruesch & Les Leston to your list as well? :D

Pym is on my list for next year, I'd need to look into the others though.

I would like to also announce my extreme bummed-outedness regarding the unexpected death of Denny Doherty. Is there an official thread for me to grieve in? If not, I would like to say that it's completely unfair that Michele Phillips, although a very nice person I'm sure, should be the last surviving member of this group, and so soon at that.

Couldn't add Francis Pym...

What about Lord Carrington (born 1919), if we're dealing with ancient Tory Foreign Secretaries?

He's okay - he was in our local paper (Bucks Free Press) only last week complaining about something or other to do with land ownership. :D

I think he'll last for a little while yet....

'Barney Miller' actor Ron Carey dead at 71

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Ron Carey, an actor best known for his work as a cocky, height-challenged policeman on the 1970s TV comedy "Barney Miller," has died. He was 71.

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D:(:( Not my friend Pookie from The Spaniels who gave me peace of mind.

REst in peace Thornton James Hudson, age 72 and 7 months and some odd days.

I GUESS it's time to say Goodnight Sweetheart, goodnight :(:):D:D

WASHINGTON -- Pookie Hudson, lead singer and songwriter for the doo-wop group the Spaniels, who lent his romantic tenor to hits like Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight and influenced generations of later artists, has died. He was 72.

Hudson died Tuesday of complications from cancer of the thymus at his home in Capitol Heights, Maryland, his publicist, Bill Carpenter, said yesterday.

Hudson continued performing into last fall when he learned his cancer had returned after a remission. His last recordings were done in October for an Uncloudy Christmas CD that will be released this fall, Carpenter said.

Hudson's longtime manager, Wellington (Bay) Robinson, said the singer should be remembered for his great writing ability.

Robinson said Hudson wrote Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight ("...well, it's time to go") for a young woman he was dating at the time.

"He was staying awful late at the young lady's house and her parents said ... he had to go. As he was walking home, that's what inspired him to write that song."

The Spaniels' signature song was a Top 5 R&B hit in 1954. The McGuire Sisters rushed out a version of Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight that sold even more copies. At the time, only black radio stations played Hudson's version, Carpenter said.

The Spaniels' version was heard two decades later on the soundtrack of American Graffiti. Among the Spaniels' other Top 20 R&B hits, Carpenter said, were Baby, It's You, Peace of Mind and Let's Make Up.

"He really made a blueprint for what a crooner should sound like. It was an unmistakable voice," Carpenter said.

"I think that his voice, that smooth tenor, was the voice that influenced Smokey Robinson. It influenced Aaron Neville."

Neville said as much in a 1991 New York Times newspaper interview, which cited Hudson as an influence along with Clyde McPhatter and Nat King Cole.

Hudson was born Thornton James Hudson on June 11, 1934, in Des Moines, Iowa. The Spaniels first came together at Roosevelt High School in Gary, Indiana, where Hudson was raised and began singing in church choirs.

He was homeless for a time after he went solo and hit a slump in the 1960s but he went back to work in the 1980s. He and fellow former Spaniels took part in some oldies tours, holding down ordinary jobs on the side.

He told the Washington Post in 1983 he continued to write new songs but audiences "won't let us sing new stuff. That's not what they pay for. But it beats doing nothing."

He began receiving regular royalties for Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight in the 1990s.

The Spaniels were honoured in 1991 by the Rhythm and Blues Foundation with an award that carried a $20,000 US grant. The group used the money to record their album 40th Anniversary, which was reissued by Collectables Records.

"Maria Cioncan, the Romanian runner who took 1500m bronze behind Kelly Holmes at the 2004 Olympics, has been killed in a car accident in Bulgaria"

BBC Link has her crashing into a tree returning from a training camp in Greece. The Grauniad has the training camp down as being in Turkey. Greece, Turkey, same place, innit? :(