Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Charles Haughey

Hmm, frustrating since he's in my DDP. I thought I was on to a winner there. Still, the balance of medical problems looks like he's got months at best.

Looks like the Reaper is having as much trouble catching up with old Charlie as the Garda Síochána had in his 'gun running' days...

Guest iain
Hmm, frustrating since he's in my DDP. I thought I was on to a winner there. Still, the balance of medical problems looks like he's got months at best.

I disagree..according to that article he has no mor than a few days left.Looks like he'll be hit no 5 by next week.If not it looks like hes a dead cert for death sometime this month anyweay

Iain man

Given your recent record you've just awarded him another few weeks of healthy life!

Knowing my current track record, he's likely to survive for at least another month allowing someone else to die instead since I "predicted" he'd be the 5th hit for DL.

I think I inadvertantly killed Gene Pitney off last month as I found one of his records in the basement and decided to play it. A week later he was dead.

My dad did the same with Allen Smethurst (The Singing Postman), bought him an album for christmas, dad put it on tape to take into work. The day he played the tape, Smethurst died.

I wonder if Haughey was ever compelled to record an album, and if so, does anyone know where I can get hold of it? It'll go very well in my uneasy listening section <_<

His nose his much rounder than I recall. :(

My dad did the same with Allen Smethurst (The Singing Postman), bought him an album for christmas, dad put it on tape to take into work. The day he played the tape, Smethurst died.

Are you and your dad alright? The Singing Postman isn't exactly easy listening.

Are you and your dad alright? The Singing Postman isn't exactly easy listening.

Oh me and my dad are fine, we just have a warped sense of humour.

It's a competition each year to find the worst possible recording by a "celebrity"

Last year I bought my dad a copy of Regis Philbin (co-host of Good Morning America) singing Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer as part of a duet with Donald Trump. He bought me a Max Bygraves album :(

did I ever tell the storuy herte about the rtime the extermijnator opened up at the door atn he looked eery like Regis Philbin?? I have to admite hth0ugh he hadn;t ahd a good shave yet that morning it was inn the wineter if I rememner it correctly.

Last year I bought my dad a copy of Regis Philbin (co-host of Good Morning America) singing Rudolph The Red Nose Reindeer as part of a duet with Donald Trump. He bought me a Max Bygraves album :(

Thereby causing an enormous relative increase of sales of those albums. Are you sure you're giving the right economic signals? :P

regards,

Hein

Current Taoiseach Bertie Ahern paid tribute to Mr Haughey for the fiscal decisions he took in 1987 and 1988 which, he said, laid the foundation for our current prosperity. Answering journalists' questions afterwards Mr Ahern recalled that he had been harshly critical of aspects of Mr Haughey's leadership on other occasions, but was not going to make any negative comments on the night that was in it.

Am I imagining it or does that sound like an early obit? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part since he's a DDP pick of mine.

Haughey too ill to attend 80th anniversary of Fiana Fall.

Thanks for the update CP. It sounds very promising!

regards,

ff

Haughey too ill to attend 80th anniversary of Fiana Fall.

Thanks for the update CP. It sounds very promising!

regards,

ff

Well somebody on my DDP had better hurry up and die. I haven't had a hit for ages. Which reminds me, the King of Tonga. Time for a medical check...

Charles Haughey is a politician of rare distinction and in preperation for his sad passing I have placed a suitably somber image of him below.

portrait-hawtrey.jpg

Thats a really nivde avitaer DeathStare. ANyho back to Haufghey would anyione here or anywhere for theat matter know if he is doiung persponal appearnaces or has his ehalth taken such a bad turn that he no longetr can.?

His nose his much rounder than I recall. :unsure:

I agree witbhh that it's rounder thane I recall tpoo.

Guest alex

hello, i have received a letter back from mr. haughey today re: a personal matter, his handwriting is very shakey but hes not totally gone yet.

yours sincerely

alex

hello, i have received a letter back from mr. haughey today re: a personal matter, his handwriting is very shakey but hes not totally gone yet.

yours sincerely

alex

A personal matter, you say?

Sigh.

I wish I'd received a letter back from mr. haughey re: a personal matter. Come to think of it... if you received a personal letter back from mr. haughey, I wonder what you kind of letter you sent to him re: a personal matter, in the first place. Come on alex, do tell. Everything here's confidential, I promise. :lol:

The end IS in sight -

from the Irish Independent...

Arrangements for a full State funeral are already in place

FORMER Taoiseach Charles Haughey is near death after his health took a serious turn for the worse.

Close family members kept a bedside vigil at Mr Haughey's Abbeville mansion in Kinsealy last night after his condition deteriorated rapidly in recent days.

Sources close to the family said they were just trying to make the ailing former Taoiseach as comfortable as possible during his final days .

Family and friends are now said to be resigned to the fact that Mr Haughey is unlikely to survive his latest illness.

"There is a feeling that it is now just a matter of time and doctors have done all they can," a family friend said.

"Things are not good. The situation got much more serious over the weekend. The next few days will be vital. This is the worst he has been since he first became ill."

The Irish Independent has also learned that arrangements have been made for a State funeral for the former Taoiseach.

Mr Haughey approved the arrangements last year.

It is understood he asked for a Requiem Mass to be held in Our Lady of Consolation Church in Donnycarney, in the heart of the Dublin North Central constituency he served rather than in the Pro-Cathedral, as might have been expected for holding a State funeral.

Mr Haughey has chosen St Fintan's churchyard overlooking the sea in Sutton, Co Dublin - just a couple of miles from his Abbeville home - as his final resting place.

Speakers for the Requiem Mass were being contacted yesterday.

Staffords, a company with close ties to Mr Haughey and which has links with Fianna Fail dating back to the foundation of the party, are to be the undertakers.

Mr Haughey approved the arrangements after he recovered from another bout of his recurring illness last year. Preparations for his State funeral are already at an advanced stage, with the same officials from the Department of the Taoiseach and senior Army officers who planned the recent Easter 1916 commemorations.

Mr Haughey and his family decided he would have a State funeral, a privilege automatically available to all former Taoisigh.

It is understood Mr Haughey wanted to have his Requiem Mass in his former constituency rather than the Pro-Cathedral in central Dublin because of his family ties to the area for three generations. Mr Haughey has recovered from a number of health scares over the past five years.

He is suffering from prostate cancer and other complicating factors, including secondary tumours and a heart condition.

In March 2001, some weeks after giving evidence to the Moriarty Tribunal, he was rushed from his home by ambulance to Beaumont Hospital with a life-threatening heart condition.

During that episode, doctors had to use a defibrillator to provide electrical pulses to Mr Haughey's heart after it stopped twice. He remained in Beaumont Hospital for a few weeks.

But as he did on several subsequent occasions, Mr Haughey recovered. However, a succession of illnesses have weakened him.

Last September, there were renewed concerns about the ex-Taoiseach's serious medical condition.

But he recovered again and was able to spend Christmas at home with his family and friends.

Prior to the current crisis, Mr Haughey's most recent illness came in late March when he was admitted to the Mater Private Hospital after being unwell over the previous weekend.

On that occasion, he was said not to have been eating well, sleeping a lot and appeared confused and agitated, resulting in him being taken to hospital.

It had emerged in March that Mr Haughey was abroad for four days of treatment at a time when his son, Sean, was in the public spotlight after losing out for the junior ministerial vacancy caused by the resignation of Ivor Callely.

Gene McKenna, Fionnan Sheahan and Sam Smyth

So, number 6 for the Deathlist, and more importantly, at long, long last, hit number two for my DDP team!!!

Guest johnnysaf

<_< Official : Irish Governments announces death of former prmie minister Charles Huaghey

Good to score a 6th just before half-time !

My god! Normally I miss these grand events, only finding out about them after the fact, but here I am mere seconds after the fact - hurrah!

Fantastic news for us - I was just thinking the other day how we could use another death. I'd like to thank Mr Haughey for taking my concerns so seriously.

<_<