15 minutes ago, SSWDeathlistfan1996 said:

So...Hurricane Florence and Trumps comments about the Hurricane Maria effort? What do we think DL?

Trump's ego can't handle the truth, and Maria likely did kill that many people, looking at the hospital records and increased deaths, albeit many indirectly.  Hurricane Florence, meanwhile, is causing a lot of flooding, with the storm surge plus record rainfall. We'll probably see a lot more such events with climate change warming the oceans. What else did you want us to say?

• Like 1

Florence a no show. Barely windy.

Maria he'd get slaughtered on regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charon said:

Florence a no show. Barely windy.

Hardly a no show, just more about flooding than wind damage. Casualty total just 13 deaths so far; obviously going to rise, but not to too crazy a total. However, it may well make the list of top ten most financially damaging hurricanes, although I doubt it will make the top 5 (incidental note: 3 out of the 5 most financially damaging hurricanes happened last year with Harvey, Maria, and Irma).

Meanwhile, the one to watch remains Mangkhut. Luckily, Hong Kong seems to have avoided the worst of it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, paddyfool said:

Hardly a no show, just more about flooding than wind damage. Casualty total just 13 deaths so far; obviously going to rise, but not to too crazy a total. However, it may well make the list of top ten most financially damaging hurricanes, although I doubt it will make the top 5 (incidental note: 3 out of the 5 most financially damaging hurricanes happened last year with Harvey, Maria, and Irma).

Meanwhile, the one to watch remains Mangkhut. Luckily, Hong Kong seems to have avoided the worst of it.

Been hearing about Mangkut...whats the current outlook for that one?

The Phillipines were hit primarily in an agricultural area, so only 250k of their population were directly affected. The death toll stands at 49 and climbing so far. Mangkhut luckily didn't directly hit Hong Kong or Macau, although it was still close enough to blow out windows, blow down trees and stop flights; it's now hit the South China coastline a tad further West, and is currently forecast to blow itself out over northern Vietnam and Western China.

EDIT: Casualties in China have been very limited, courtesy partly of evacuating 3 million or so people from the typhoon's path.

Death toll from Florence so far: 44 people, thousands of stranded fish, 5,500 pigs and literally millions of chickens and turkeys.

Death toll from Mangkhut so far: 155 people in the Phillipines, no clear data from China.

Mainly the damage from both has been economic due to property damage and other disruption and destruction: including about $20 billion from Florence, and a devastated agricultural sector in the Phillipines.

Meanwhile, heading for Taiwan, a few outlying Japanese islands, and ultimately China, there now comes Trami, another Cat 5 super typhoon:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2237.0;a

Cat 3?

784550382_CatOFalk.thumb.jpeg.f090281c19

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh boy, I would not be comfortable with that :o.

• Haha 1

On 23/11/2017 at 07:19, charon said:

And so it begins.....

IMG_20171123_071232.jpg

Almost a month earlier this year.

IMG_20181027_070004.thumb.jpg.5db29c745d8383e6430b4471a4e100b0.jpg

deathstick.gif~c200

A new record has been set this year for stormy weather in the Eastern Pacific - three Category 5 hurricanes, five Category 4s and many smaller storms have meant that we have now the most annual accumulated cyclone energy (ACE) in that region on since records began in 1971, pushing 1992 into 2nd place by a fair margin and 2015 into 3rd: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Pacific_hurricane_season

The season isn't over until the end of November, so there's still room for the record to go higher. The joys of warming oceans...

Throughout October, western and central Illlinois were battered with snow showers. Us here in Chicagoland managed to avoid it, save for some flurries.

Well, last night we got out first decent snowfall of the season. About an inch fell, most of it starting to melt away. But it looked beautiful. I'm excited for when it finally snows enough to go skiing!

• Like 1

The fires in California (weather related??)

Brings out the Best in People.

46230744_1024261884402454_45488302457922

• Haha 5

At risk of a @charon coming along with a snarky uptight posts. The weather models are indicating (though have not yet come to a definite consensus) some pretty wintry weather (read cold and snow) in the next 7-10 days. It is however to early to say:

Image result for winter is coming

I saw that this morning. Could be a snowy start to December.

Whats more interesting is the middle range forecast. People with more knowledge than myself are predicting a nasty winter snap between Xmas and New Year. Something to do with -QBO and El Nina winds.

9 hours ago, philheybrookbay said:

I saw that this morning. Could be a snowy start to December.

Whats more interesting is the middle range forecast. People with more knowledge than myself are predicting a nasty winter snap between Xmas and New Year. Something to do with -QBO and El Nina winds.

Stick your finger up in the air and decide it's snow if the raindrop lands on the front and sun if the raindrop lands on the back.

More reliable than mid (or long for that matter) range forecasts.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Stick your finger up in the air and decide it's snow if the raindrop lands on the front and sun if the raindrop lands on the back.

Reminds me of how never to get lost in a forest. Forget the "moss grows on the South facing side of the tree" lore, its far important to know the front and back of the tree?

How to telt? You always go for a piss at the back......

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I would but I’d enjoy that ;) 

But enough of my sex life :D 

Edit  - long day read arse for air! 

• Confused 1

Not sure if this is strictly weather, but seems the most appropriate threads. Some harrowing pictures of Paradise, California. Current death tool 63, with over 600 missing. Seems likely that those numbers are just the scratching of the surface as to how many victims there are. I'm talking put a 0 on the end of those numbers.

Some during the fires:

CALIFORNIA-WILDFIRES_1211s.JPG

main_900.jpg?1541782994

Some after the fires:

5beb478048eb124ee46e2702-750-375.jpg

paradise-cars.jpg

canb108-ap.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=780

Some before and afters from BBC News here. 

• Sad 1

This is horrendous indeed. The death toll is now up to 71 (and that's not counting those affected by the widespread smoke and ash from the fire that's made the air in San Francisco, 150 miles away, worse than New Delhi or Beijing), and the missing total is now over 1000. I'm not going to speculate on how high the eventual total is going to climb to. 

The inland Glens today were about freezing around midday.

However, West Coast is Best Coast.

46450997_1883327411717260_79033902072426

Looks like our first major winter storm of the season is here.

image.png.f4025214190cc0108f84ffa38228ca9b.png

The orange pin is my location. Big bastard of a system, eh?

Started off raining this morning. About an hour ago, it turned into light snow, and right now it's starting to come down pretty fast and accumulating.

The snow is supposed to continue throughout the afternoon and night, not stopping until the morning commute tomorrow.

Depending on a lot of factors like temperature and timing, there's a chance we get up to 15 inches! Most likely around 6-10 inches, though.

If they can't get the roads cleared in time, I might have my classes cancelled tomorrow. But knowing my school district, they'll make us soldier on. Can't wait to get up early and shovel the driveway. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Success - no school today!  The snow was very heavy and thus harder to clear roads and driveways. Lots of trees got knocked down. Many lost power for a while. So, y'know, Chi-town in the winter. :D

Here's some pictures I took.

image.thumb.png.e94c08a267b611f5c1a07e1877b165ba.png

image.thumb.png.045d31f070756d92413dd85904ba7663.png

image.thumb.png.bcb7ec0cae0558c773db729f218e24fa.png

image.thumb.png.f0eec0aeb42295fe631edab8a83ea6a0.png

Our biggest snowfall since February.

• Like 6

10/10 for effort Radguy, but purlease learn how to use landscape on your phone  thumb.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2