^ When you see the last post is Deathray in The Weather Thread and are expecting some analysis heavy predictions...  Bit underwhelming! :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, msc said:

^ When you see the last post is Deathray in The Weather Thread and are expecting some analysis heavy predictions...  Bit underwhelming! :D

Apologies. I shall resume normal service when this blasted storm moves out of the way.

For now as pretty much anyone who's looked out the window this morning is aware it is a bit wet and will remain a bit wet into this evenings.

The models are trended towards a cold spell beginning around the 4th and 5th of December which could bring some snow to higher ground and pave the way for snow to lower ground in the following days, however there has not been anywhere near enough consistency from this and having been bitten by suggesting snowmaggedon one to many times I wouldn't be willing to put my neck out on it on this occasion; all it would take is another Atlantic low forming like the one we're currently under the cosh of to completely throw those charts to smithereens and possibly leave us in this neither winter wonderland cold/nor overly summery flux that we;'re in, although the rainfall totals might go someway to addressing the lack of rain in summer with regards to annual rainfall if we were to get that situation.

The GFS this morning is showing what (for those of you who like cold weather and potential for snow) is what we want by the 4th - a :

Ground level temps of around 1 or 2C.

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

Unfortunately it's very much short lived, as the cold air that's encroached from the north at this point is forced back within 24 hours

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

There's a bit of too and fro in the charts between cold and warm here, so were waiting for more consensus as to what happens after the initial cold blast, assuming no spanner in the works from another storm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It really was wet. Even by Glasgow standards. Yesterday I picked up the wean from school. "Daddy,  I don't want to wear my rain coat!" Takes one look at me, dripping head to toe in rainwater from a 5 minute walk. "Actually, never mind..."

Weather so nuts, even a grumpy toddler concedes to it!

Sun's out here.  Dog walk imminent as it can't last :)

Literally just posting in here to disappoint msc. It's 2am, I can't sleep for some reason and I have nothing better to do.

Edit: 

In all seriousness, I can be faffed posting the charts but the general consensus is a trend towards colder weather beginning this weekend, with more consensus among models than last time I posted. Currently dry air with slighter colder temperatures around Friday/Saturday onwards followed by full on cold in it's wake. As we say on weather forums "get the cold air in first" and then we can consider snow, with the possibility of an Easterly or North Easterly (had an absolute stonking run at No 1 back in 2009/10 and has had a few minor hits in 2012, 2013 and Feb 2018 among others) with an amplified cold pool over Europe to tap into, we could be looking at something special here.

However, this is the UK and there's an equal chance we could be looking at the warmest December on record when the models all turn round and go "just jokes" on Thursday night as they've done on a few occasions. Could be something of interest for our US East Coast counterparts brewing here as well.

The weather in Chicago you ask?

After that late November snowstorm, December was quite warm without any snow (two instances of flurries in the week after Christmas, but that doesn't really count).

January also started off feeling like spring, but winter has returned with a vengeance...

Last weekend we had about 2 inches fall on Saturday.

Over the past week a couple flurries... and now it's getting rough.

A major winter storm is passing across the country and could dump up to 8 inches of snow upon us tomorrow night into Saturday morning. Sunday will feature lingering lake-effect snow showers.

Next week, some more snow showers with freezing rain are possible on Tuesday and Wednesday...

Cautiously optimistic that if all that starts piling up, especially with the ice mixed in, we might get another school cancellation sometime next week. But it's doubtful, those shits don't come easy! Especially since we already had one this school year. They can only do so many and might want to save it in case there's a worse blizzard coming up later in the season. This ain't Atlanta where a single snowflake causes the whole city to panic.

4 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

This ain't Atlanta where a single snowflake causes the whole city to panic.

Or Oklahoma. :P 

Perth warming up to 42C on Sunday. I’m almost relieved I’m heading back to the UK tomorrow evening (I’m not).

3 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Perth warming up to 42C on Sunday. I’m almost relieved I’m heading back to the UK tomorrow evening (I’m not).

Perth is currently -4C, welcome home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some of you may have experienced snow today or experience snow later today, possibly intense but unlikely to settle to any great depth beyond a dusting - this snow is just a prelude to what is nailed on to be an extremely cold and probably snowy period over the next few weeks. You may be aware of the extreme cold currently affecting much of mainland Europe, models are increasingly showing this cold pool being thrown open to flood into the UK on an Easterly pattern around Monday-Tuesday with widespread snow possible by mid next week routinely measured inches, possibly feet by the end of this spell. The crucial step of this particular set up is that where we would normally expect to be worrying over a switch to a North Westerly flow bringing milder air in and ruining any chance of snow, the north westerly pool of weather being drawn will be equally as cold as that over mainland Europe. I am not exaggerating when I encourage all forum members to buy snow shovels, winter gloves, sledges and to put extra money aside for their heating bill or if necessary childcare while the kids are off school due to the weather (assuming you can get to work) next week. Tuesday/Wednesday looks most likely for snow, but the general model consensus that if it doesn't snow then it will merely be a delay for a few days until significant snowfall and it will still remain extremely cold; widespread -3 to -4 maximum temperate with -7 to -12 minimum temperatures widespread; so icicles dangling off your weather. For many areas this will be the most severe cold spell since winter 2010 and quite probably the snowiest period since March 2013 in much of the west and December/January 2010 in much of the east.

(This PSA is brought to you by Deathers, in case it isn't obvious.)

Clorox = deathers bitch.

19 minutes ago, charon said:

Clorox = deathers bitch.

What if you hadn't seen this, and you never knew you had to URGENTLY run out and buy gloves? Your wee hauns would be chilly.

11 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

What if you hadn't seen this, and you never knew you had to URGENTLY run out and buy gloves? Your wee hauns would be chilly.

Lol snow been here all this week my boy.

* I have a snow shovel at the hoose, loads of gloves, don't use much leccy as we burn everything in the fire (plastic is great, carrier bags are perfect for starting one) and I ain't selfish enough to have a human wean so no childcare :)

3 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I am not exaggerating when I encourage all forum members to buy snow shovels, winter gloves, sledges

No need.  We all stocked up last year :P

I am just going outside to make a snowman and may be some time.

**Photo credit to charon.

FB_IMG_1547934998961.thumb.jpg.d94dadae49136eb9b9db9ee032d1da12.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No !!  Make a snowdog.

7f882-6a00e5501c1be88833017d40478f17970c

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Boudicca said:

I am just going outside to make a snowman and may be some time.

**Photo credit to charon.

FB_IMG_1547934998961.thumb.jpg.d94dadae49136eb9b9db9ee032d1da12.jpg

Its a shame the dug is out of shot, reminded me of

108415895_winnie_the_pooh_trans_NvBQzQNj

• Like 1

I need to see a picture of your dog, Charon.  I am imagining three heads.

• Haha 2

Ah no, ours has just the one. You might be thinking of Hades' dog. I won't have it in the house. 

1 hour ago, Boudicca said:

Ah no, ours has just the one. You might be thinking of Hades' The McLeod's dog. I won't have it in the house. 

Ftfy.

And you widnt have any say in the matter if Lucy wants in........

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charon said:

And you widnt have any say in the matter if Lucifer wants in........

EFA.

• Haha 1

Bit of snow here this morning. Not really a covering.

Those in the north of England and Scotland can expect same today and tomorrow, with Wales and the Midlands probably in the game by late evening. Mild interlude til weekend then back to cold. 

• Thanks 1