On 17/01/2019 at 17:43, Phantom of the Midway said:

The weather in Chicago you ask?

After that late November snowstorm, December was quite warm without any snow (two instances of flurries in the week after Christmas, but that doesn't really count).

January also started off feeling like spring, but winter has returned with a vengeance...

Last weekend we had about 2 inches fall on Saturday.

Over the past week a couple flurries... and now it's getting rough.

A major winter storm is passing across the country and could dump up to 8 inches of snow upon us tomorrow night into Saturday morning. Sunday will feature lingering lake-effect snow showers.

Next week, some more snow showers with freezing rain are possible on Tuesday and Wednesday...

Cautiously optimistic that if all that starts piling up, especially with the ice mixed in, we might get another school cancellation sometime next week. But it's doubtful, those shits don't come easy! Especially since we already had one this school year. They can only do so many and might want to save it in case there's a worse blizzard coming up later in the season. This ain't Atlanta where a single snowflake causes the whole city to panic.

So about a week later, an update.

Friday night into Saturday, we did end up with a ton of snow. Around 6 inches fell, possibly more but I'm not sure (well I wasn't gonna fuckin' go out with a ruler, was I?)

Tuesday we had an ice storm. I was leaving school for lunch and had to take several minutes to scrape the ice off my car. On the plus side, it didn't ice afterwards, so I quickly left before the traffic at the end of the day, while most other folk were stuck scraping. B)

Wednesday a bit more snow fell. And Thursday. And today. Fuck sake!

Today was also frigid as hell, with wind chills around -20°F (-29°C) in the morning.

No school cancellations throughout all of this, but I'm not surprised. By Chicago standards, it wasn't that bad.

What's ahead?

A snowstorm coming Monday morning. Funny thing is - one model shows 3 inches falling here, another model shows 13 inches. If it's the latter - definitely no school. Roads will be fucked. And also if it's that much, the snow on the ground - of which there already is a fuck-ton - will probably be 2 and a half fucking feet!

Wednesday morning and Thursday morning wind chills could go as low as -50°F (-46°C)! Definite school cancellations.

I'll be enjoying next week in the warmth of my house, it seems. :angely:

• Like 1

I think weather has forgotten this part of the world:

no sun, no snow, no rain, no high or low temperature,  no high wind.

only dark clouds, I suppose that's something to be thankful for 

Potential snow events between Tuesday and Thursday for much of the country, exact depths and affected areas probably won't be confirmed, not to mention if it goes wrong it could just become a very wet winter storm.

Anyway, does anyone else find weather videos really relaxing to watch. Snow timelapses really seem to do it for me:

• Like 1

A bit of fun*. A snow depth chart from this mornings 12z GFS(P) weather model. 10-15cm widely in the South of England, a bit less further north but another event will have already landed there Tuesday so overall depths of around 15cm-20cm.  

ccumu.png.559f233a835aad5c63c38b0e2affedc6.png

*These charts are the least useful of all weather chart permutations you can find, whilst an indicator of a decent snow event nothing more. They're just fun to look at.

• Like 1

Mental gale following yesterday's blizzard NotW. Usually I'd be pretending I'm at sea and sleeping peacefully but no. Wide awake and expecting to find the house has whirled off in the night and landed on Theresa May :24087468:

^^ sleeping like a kitten.

Which surprising as she shat herself when the chariot went sideways at one point in the snow ninja.gif

I did not! Just temporarily suspended breathing for a bit while calmly contemplating the relative "merits" of hitting the crag full on or rolling into the loch. This is what seasoned DLers do.

Deathers promise of an icy death next week is looking promising.

Screenshot_20190127-140153.thumb.png.8192b169e1bcc4d7c9fe6172dc306c32.png

-10?

Bring it

* tips hat to our Chicago + Scandinavian correspondents who have it a tad worse.

chaplin.gif

• Like 1

As alluded to charon going to be a cold week; with snow in places.

Unfortunately where and when that snow falls is a bit of a lottery at this time-frame. High likelihood Southern England will get some snow on Tuesday night into Wednesday but it could also wrap the midlands into that. Should be reasonably cold, although charon's app seems to be on the extreme side of those margins. Marginal so could be rain to snow to rain, or just snow to rain.

A few minor frontal systems could make things interesting for the rest of us snow wise. 

I don't use "apps" cunto.........

Sign of a  no righter.

33 minutes ago, charon said:

I don't use "apps" cunto.........

Sign of a  no righter.

No you just use weather stations that feed information to said apps, you're cutting out the middleman to be fair.

Surprised it's already that cold up your way though, could be a good week for you.

• Like 1

@Phantom did you get 12 inches today (not a euphemism)??  

What we know about tomorrow:

It will snow somewhere in the UK.

That snow will be somewhere between 1-3cm in a wide area probably the southern Northwest and Wales through to SE Kent throughout the day. Within that wide area somewhere will cop much more significant snowfall accumulations - in the region of 10-20cm and 5-10cm. Probably the West Midlands.

Beyond "it's cold enough and there is precipitation" snow can be a bastard to forecast. 

17 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

@Phantom did you get 12 inches today (not a euphemism)??  

We only got about 6. Other parts of the state were hit worse.

It's temps over the next few days I am not looking forward to.

2019-01-27 09.57.39.png

4 minutes ago, Phantom said:

We only got about 6. Other parts of the state were hit worse.

It's temps over the next few days I am not looking forward to.

2019-01-27 09.57.39.png

Sounds delightful :) 

12 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Sounds delightful :) 

Those temps are in Fahrenheit. So by Wednesday, that's -33 in old money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

Still sounds delightful.  

Also to be pedantic Fahrenheit is old money.

6 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Yes I think that F v C point is missed on folks at times.  
But as a former Detroiter who stood outside and waited for a city bus sometimes, maybe 20+ minutes, it isn't the 'cold' that kills you, it's the wind.  I can stand in calm -10F for a bit, but +10F and a 12MPH wind will kill you.

7 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Yes I think that F v C point is missed on folks at times.  
But as a former Detroiter who stood outside and waited for a city bus sometimes, maybe 20+ minutes, it isn't the 'cold' that kills you, it's the wind.  I can stand in calm -10F for a bit, but +10F and a 12MPH wind will kill you.

It's a recognised scientific phenomenon called wind chill. 

The stronger the winds, the colder it feels. 

Pulling up a Minneapolis weather forecast and using the national weather service wind chill calculator you're looking at a feeling of a ttemperatures in the mid -30's on Wednesday. Bitterly cold.

Either way those temperatures are bitterly cold, so wrap up warm and watch out for ice out there.

20 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Still sounds delightful.  

Also to be pedantic Fahrenheit is old money.

Be as pedantic as you want, the term "F***ing freezing" is the scientific term for it. 

I just resist the urge to punch people that think they're being funny by saying "cold enough for you?"

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Be as pedantic as you want, the term "F***ing freezing" is the scientific term for it. 

I just resist the urge to punch people that think they're being funny by saying "cold enough for you?"

To be fair, I'd be midly intrigued to live through temperatures that cold. I've always enjoyed crisp cold winters sunshine days and heavy snowfall far more than any other weather event. So I'd like to see how far my tolerance actually went, by having a section of the polar vortex over my head. But fortunately for you the long term trend is for the US to warm up as we go into early February, as you lot are no doubt sick of it by now.

Conversely long term patterns indicating it could become quite cold over here as we head into February but any weather forecast more than a few days out is generally as good as sticking your finger in the air and saying snow if the raindrop falls on the front and heatwave if the raindrop falls on the back (i.e ineffective).

And yes I'd probably want to hit those people, same as I want to hit people who turn and stare out the window and go "it's snowing I might have to leave early at this rate" when the radar clearly shows a 5 minute snow shower and no more precipitation for a few hours.

We been dealing with the same shit, other Phantom. High-five for Midwest struggles!

We got a measly 6 inches from this storm, but of course my shitty town didn't clear the roads, so school was cancelled today.

There's probably well over a foot on the ground now, thanks to the previous snowstorms, so it definitely looks like a winter wonderland out there.

And Wednesday... aye, school will definitely be cancelled. They're now showing a wind chill of almost -60°F at 8:00AM Wednesday morning. NEGATIVE FUCKIN' SIXTY.

Thursday will be a nice, mild, balmy -30°F wind chill. So school may not be cancelled on that day. Would be nice if it is, tho, cause then we'd have a 5-day weekend (Friday is off anyway for teacher conferences).

And ya know what's funny?

By Saturday and Sunday, high temperatures will be around 45°F. Almost spring-like.
The weatherman on TV last night said ''Saturday will feel over 100 degrees warmer than Wednesday''.  wut.gif wut.gif wut.gif   Holy shit that's crazy. Well, that's Chicago weather for you....

Anyway, off to shoveling I go...

wut.gif

Ya smilie thieving cunto.......

Hope you looked at the source......website named after a proscribed organisation ninja.gif

^^ even the ninja gif is better than the DL one :lol:

**** tho its where Hein stole :sherlock: from.

• Haha 3

Tomorrow it's supposed to go -56 Celsius in Winnipeg. :sick:

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1