6 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Tomorrow it's supposed to go -56 Celsius in Winnipeg. :sick:

That's wind chill value, just to be sure right?

-50C raw air would be unbearable.

9 hours ago, Deathray said:

That's wind chill value, just to be sure right?

-50C raw air would be unbearable.

Yes, that is with Windchill!

It's currently minus 43 celsius and no wind at Yakutsk Airport in Russia. They have to wrap the tyres of aircraft in heated 'blankets'.

It has been snowing on and off down in cork. I was literally walking outside of my dorm when it started snowing out of nowhere. I just hope all this snow won't stop me from getting the bus home for the weekend.

On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 19:51, FixedBusiness said:

Tomorrow it's supposed to go -56 Celsius in Winnipeg. :sick:

Is it supposed to warm up by the weekend?

38 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I think so, I took a screencap of the supposed weather forecast for the next 7ish days.

Note that the main numbers (like -30c tomorrow) don't include windchill, but usually windchill is only about 20 degrees more of the actual temperature as noted in tonight's forecast.

Screenshot_1.png

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Yes, the section of the polar vortex currently extend it's arm into Canada and the northern US is expected to retreat back polewards by the weekend. Although some uncertainty as to how far the US should warm up. (This chart shows the temperature at 1500m above sea level, as general rule subtracting 1 degress per 100m above sea level (find out yours here) will give you rough ground temp expectations, this is lessened with snowcover and snowfall, as the ground is colder anyway). These charts show what I mean, purple is cold obvs. Much of the US should be above nearing or above freezing by Sunday night.*

GFS 

Today 3pm GMT (10am EST)

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

Sunday (3pm GMT/10am EST)

No chart available for the selected hour. Many charts start at 3 hours ahead, so if you have 0 hours selected try stepping forward or selecting a later hour.

ECMWF - (Roughly 4pm UK Time/11am EST)

Valid Roughly 4pm Sunday/11am EST

*As always take these charts with a large pinch of salt. However they are generally a bit better at long range forecasting the US than the UK not least due to the much large landmass, there could still be a few cold states or Canada might be a bit warmer

• Like 1

Some of southern England will see a few inches of snow today.

I think you soft bastards class that as significant down there, and it'll probably fuck your roads up as it's on track for rush hour. 

(this honestly isn't jealously that the most I've had this winter is 2 inches) *inb4 what about the snow joke from charon.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, torbrexbones said:

world-us-canada-47078054

Like this image of the fork stuck in the noodles frozen PDQ

You know you can post tweets as tweets rather than images, so we can click through to the persons profile, right?

Sorry, this was bugging me.

? That's the same to me deathers.....

1 minute ago, charon said:

? That's the same to me deathers.....

tobrexbones is an image of the twitter post hosted on a different website (bbc international seemingly), I can't click on the username and go to the profile.

Mines a link to the guys actual tweet, i can click on the username and go to the profile.

As far as I'm aware it works the same for everyone else? Might be different if you're on phone?

If you left click open link in new tab on the images you'll see the difference.

On phone.....no left click....

Long press gives link on torbrex one, long press on yours links to twitter direct.

No odds to me, I won't have the thing.

School was cancelled yesterday and today.

Wind chills yesterday morning made it near -55°F (-48°C). This morning had slightly less torturous wind chills, but the actual temperature reached its lowest value in years: -24°F (-31°C).

My sister stepped outside to do the ''throw boiling water and it automatically turns into snow'' thing. It worked quite well.

• Like 2

We have snow here. Not much, but enough to pull the buses off the roads.

Its not bad enough to send the guys doing the late-night roadworks home though. 

"Interesting" :unsure: journey to Inverness yesterday but Narniaesque to look at. Frozen mist, frozen lochs, rakes of deer and forests of evergreens covered in snow.

Wasn't too cold though. I even had to buy a t shirt for the return trip because charon keeps the chariot at the same temperature as the hell he is surely bound for :devil:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, time said:

We have snow here. Not much, but enough to pull the buses off the roads.

Its not bad enough to send the guys doing the late-night roadworks home though. 

Probably fixing potholes that the snows just going to put back in :D

4th day of lying snow in a row up here now thanks to a totally unexpected decent top up from the easterly winds last night over slightly thawing decent snow from Tuesday night last night. Not forecast at all, but had a feeling we could get something out of the Easterly here from experience; just not that much. Looks like a proper winter wonderland again. 

Masses of snow here, which is bad news for a short-legged Jack Russell. 

Still snowing heavily.  Road outside was pretty clear at 9.00 this morning, but ankle-deep in snow and slush now, and it's just taken an hour for my neighbour opposite to get his car off the road and into his driveway. 

Sleet in Essex. Sod all else. I'm dreadfully disappointed.

• Like 1

It's like fucking Fargo here.  Except the roads are better in Fargo.

This was me going to post a letter just now.  Except for the gun.

1887300761_margegunderson.thumb.jpg.2b480632686abe2be557202abb7f645a.jpg

• Haha 1