I'm not in Michigan to hear to historical angle, but no fucking way it ever snowed and accumulated on April 27.  They had one a few years back around the Ides of April and that was the latest ever that I remembered.  Usually an ice storm first week of April and that's the end of it.  April 27 absurd.
SC

Cyclone Kenneth, meanwhile, has "wiped out" whole villages in northern Mozambique, just 6 weeks after Cyclone Idai hit the south of the country.

This is the first time in recorded history that the southern African nation has been hit by two cyclones in one season. Also the first time in recorded history that the northern part of the country has been hit by a cyclone at all.  Windspeeds have now dropped, but widespread flooding is now anticipated from heavy rainfall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48076844

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/shiner-tx/77984/weather-radar/341025

About to get buried in 20 min.... tornado alley in south central TX.  I'm a little east of Gonzales, TX on that map.  Yay
At least I won DL before I died.
Austin TX airport closed.  Have a friend her flight diverted and parked in Dallas.....where she is spending the night.  Flights grounded.
SirC

(Edit now shew 10:40 local time, so 90 min yet....it's going to park on us for an hour at least too)

• Like 1

Last week we had 4 days in a row of heavy rain.

This weekend was beautiful, but as I was taking the train downtown to the Polish Parade on Saturday, I saw parks and backyards near the Des Plaines River flooded at various levels.

One of the forest preserves we passed had to be at least 5 feet underwater!

And this week we'll have 4 more days of heavy rain... thank God I don't live near a river.

Meanwhile the UK has just had the coldest Early May bank holiday since they started, temps only got to a max of 13.8c. Last year we were up around 27/28c.

More worryingly, is the fact we’re in near drought. It’s barely rained here all winter- in fact it’s rained properly here overnight for the 1st time in about 6 weeks. 

The last two properly cold Mays with the same drought like conditions were 1995 and 1976. And we know what sort of Summers the UK had those years ( the hottest and longest in recorded history)

If the oak's before the ash, then be ready for a splash

If the ash before the oak, then be ready for a soak

Or summat like that.  I noticed a week or two back that the oaks were coming into leaf, but not the ash trees.

• Like 1

On 10/07/2019 at 22:32, Sir Creep said:

Trump has declared a state of emergency in Louisiana as Barry nears landfall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48964553

Tropical Storm Barry is picking up speed, strengthening and is now located about 70 miles south of Morgan City. On its current path, lightly to the west of earlier predictions, the center of the storm would move directly over Lafayette, LA.

A year too early for @Boudicca. There will be others. Third direct hit on Lafayette region, and I’ve been in the area a decade.

SC

• Like 2

Randy Romero and Kathleen Blanco await their final hurricane experience :D  as they sit in Lafayette hospice care.

SC

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Here we go...!!! (Ugh.... gdamn thing has to creep west 50 miles).  You do NOT want to be on eastern bands, which is where we are now.

Looks like 6-8” coming our way.  Hurricane Gustav dumped 7.7” according to my rain gauge (a small plastic waste basket on patio that didn’t blow away or blow over lol). So that’s my historical equivalent.

SC

5EEB53D3-AF3C-4BEB-9D86-F3A489BDCF1C.jpeg

• Sad 1

So Britain has a bit of a heatwave going now too... and it's all over the news, but even if we do get the forecast new UK temperature record tomorrow, and even though there will no doubt be hundreds if not thousands of additional deaths attributable to this heatwave, this is still a very small symptom of a much larger problem. June this year was the hottest average June worldwide on record, July is forecast to probably end up as the hottest average month worldwide on record, arctic and antarctic sea ice extents are both at a record low for the time of year simultaneously... and it doesn't rate the news, because new records of this kind have become so commonplace as to be an everyday occurence.

18 hours ago, paddyfool said:

So Britain has a bit of a heatwave going now too... and it's all over the news, but even if we do get the forecast new UK temperature record tomorrow, and even though there will no doubt be hundreds if not thousands of additional deaths attributable to this heatwave, this is still a very small symptom of a much larger problem. June this year was the hottest average June worldwide on record, July is forecast to probably end up as the hottest average month worldwide on record, arctic and antarctic sea ice extents are both at a record low for the time of year simultaneously... and it doesn't rate the news, because new records of this kind have become so commonplace as to be an everyday occurence.

No shit Sherlock.

Technology will save the climate

21 hours ago, bladan said:

Technology will save the climate

how about a rally with tanks different models racing

2 hours ago, paddyfool said:

So we've just had the hottest month on record, apparently. Average July temperatures worldwide were marginally higjher than at the time of the previous record in 2016: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49165476?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cmj34zmwm1zt/climate-change&link_location=live-reporting-story

It's a hoax

trumppi.jpeg.9d57ce70b7a7160df20b56671817e752.jpeg

• Haha 1

As for previous post ^^^^ We don't have a 'what a fucking embarrassment of a human being' emoji.
[This space reserved for when one is developed].

Have a look in here, I can usually find something that expresses my thoughts.

https://marfapublicradio.org/blog/expect-extreme-heat-across-west-texas-today/

According to the safety meeting today, we reached the highest temperature in the Permian Basin since 1997 (113-115F, or about 44C).  Now I'm not so sure of that 'record' but it was hot.  Inside one of the vehicles said 123F lol.
I tried to take a shower (cold faucet only) and the water was scalding the whole time. No fun.  

Not sure about the 'record' cuz I remember 112F a couple years ago for a couple days and may have been hotter.  The most popular pub in Pecos TX (Trailways Bar) has no air conditioning.  I remember sitting in there at 7:30pm and it was 103F (say 40C).  Keep them cold beers coming!
SC

image3.png

• Like 1

Dorian about to strike the Bahamas as a Category 5 hurricane.

EDYIZGhU4AAUloQ.jpg

On 01/09/2019 at 08:18, Drewsky1211 said:

Dorian about to strike the Bahamas as a Category 5 hurricane.

EDYIZGhU4AAUloQ.jpg

I found the only south Florida resident who never heard of a Cat 5 storm.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/09/02/hurricane-dorian-illustrates-president-trumps-category-hurricane-problem/

• Like 2

Incidental factoid: this is the first time on record that there has been at least one Cat 5 hurricane each year for four years in a row.  Which makes Trump's recurring ignorance of the existence of Cat 5s even more remarkable.