Dog was out on the lawn just now, but it's quite breezy here so I decided to allow him to stay there as long as he had his cool coat on.

So coat duly dunked in cold water and dog dressed.

Then of course he followed me indoors and upstairs.  I'd pulled the duvet down to the foot of the bed to air it. 

Dog ensconced himself, still dripping, across both pillows.   He's still up there. :banghead:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have Britain's first 40 - at Heathrow Airport, often the hottest part of the country.

However, planes have not as yet started dropping out of the sky. 

In Berkshire for me it is 37c at 2pm. My dad shut all the windows and closed all the curtains this morning and left the loft hatch open and so the house is quite cool.

Currently sitting at 16° at 2 o'clock.  It would be nice to get a bit of heat. 

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Ladies and gentlemen, we have Britain's first 40 - at Heathrow Airport, often the hottest part of the country.

However, planes have not as yet started dropping out of the sky. 

Some years ago I was in Paris  - not that far away - and it was very hot, and a digital display on a building showing 40 degrees.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Toast said:

Like a Peter Kay tribute act?:P

Temps back up in the 30s where I am for the next several days. Might have to fuck back off to the Highlands. 18 degrees and overcast at summer’s height; it’s so underrated.

16° C here.

At 7.00 this morning. 28° C now.

Silent lightning tonight where I am. Sitting outside watching it in the distance. It’s gorgeous.

Not so much the weather as the weather forecast.  Today is the third day that my roofers haven't come to finish the job ... well, they did come yesterday but left after half an hour as it started to rain.  And then didn't rain again all day.  It has been dry enough every day but the forecast has said otherwise.  Infuriating.

Update!  all done.  Thank goodness I can go back to being an owl rather than a lark.

Hi -8°  Lo -16° 

Wind 19mph

Presently: -10° Wind chill -19°

@Phantom I bet it’s far worse in your hood.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sir Cunto said:

Hi -8°  Lo -16° 

Wind 19mph

Presently: -10° Wind chill -19°

@Phantom I bet it’s far worse in your hood.

It's not so bad today, yesterday was worse with air temps of -10°F and wind chill of -35°F 

I have a friend in Missouris. I checked where they live and currently it is -15c.

• Like 1

There is the potential for an exceptionally bad severe weather outbreak over a large swath of the U.S. today.

outlook.thumb.jpg.a284f7369824d3093c4ef6b98c17d8a0.jpg

National Weather Service has issued Level 5 warnings for the first time in two years (when an EF4 tornado hit Georgia), and for parts of Illinois for the first time in a decade (when an EF4 hit as well).

This could get ugly...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It’s no haze, no fog, nae rain.

It’s a blanket of smoke over Michigan. Thanks, Canada.

That is a photo of the sunrise 28 June.

IMG_6838.jpeg

IMG_6843.jpeg

IMG_6849.jpeg

IMG_6841.png

• Like 2

Additional reading:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/06/27/us/canada-wildfire-smoke-great-lakes/index.html

- In Michigan, the Mackinac Bridge was shrouded in smoke Tuesday. Motorists were asked to drive slowly and with caution due to the reduced visibility on the bridge. (See photo below)

Chicago and Detroit had the worst air quality in the world Tuesday night, with Detroit’s air at one point reaching a “very unhealthy” Air Quality Index of 205 (SirC posted 258!).  

- A small area east and north of Detroit (right where we live) reached hazardous levels Wednesday morning – that’s considered a “health warning of emergency conditions,” according to the federal government’s Air Quality Index. 

IMG_6856.jpeg

• Like 1

That crappy Canadian air has drifted into Boston; air quality index is 148. We already dealt with this a couple weeks ago and I was supposed to see fireworks tonight.

On 01/07/2023 at 11:34, lilham said:

That crappy Canadian air has drifted into Boston; air quality index is 148. We already dealt with this a couple weeks ago and I was supposed to see fireworks tonight.

Did they go ahead?  We had some communities cancel their fireworks on June 26/27 due to smoke/visibility.  None since.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Did they go ahead?  We had some communities cancel their fireworks on June 26/27 due to smoke/visibility.  None since.

Yep but just got an evacuation notice for another one... and I didn't view any fireworks this year myself.

On 04/07/2023 at 21:04, lilham said:

Yep but just got an evacuation notice for another one... and I didn't view any fireworks this year myself.

Our town just had ours tonight (aye, the 5th) I presume they were moved from a smoke day.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

Our town just had ours tonight (aye, the 5th) I presume they were moved from a smoke day.  

I was too hungover by the time we had ours lol. Today was the first nice weather all week so it would have been better.

• Like 1