Some of my friends are saying that the journey time from Aberdeen to Fraserburgh this evening was 5 hours.

I thought noone was allowed to talk to the bus driver.

• Like 1

Some of my friends are saying that the journey time from Aberdeen to Fraserburgh this evening was 5 hours.

I thought noone was allowed to talk to the bus driver.

Only if you bring them sandwiches. :)

I'm told it was -12C in Fraserburgh this morning.

I didn't think it was that cold, but what can you do...

I'm told it was -12C in Fraserburgh this morning.

I didn't think it was that cold, but what can you do...

....do the

That'll keep you warm, while you wait.

Of course if you got yourself one of those blue jackets, you'd be chased all the way to Aberdeen. All that friction and man made fibres, you'd probably ignite.

Well in the typical Manx style of being behind the rest of the world, we now have some snow.

Well in the typical Manx style of being behind the rest of the world, we now have some snow.

Now Handy, I detect a less than enthusiastic tone to your post.

Cripes, it was only a couple of weeks ago you were begging forecasters to predict snow for the Isle.

There is just no pleasing you, is there. :rolleyes:

The bus stop where I wait to go home at night is located in a treeless place with no tall buildings. A few nights ago it felt like the windswept plains of the Siberian wasteland, and I was so cold I was hallucinating. Mostly I was hallucinating buses, which turned out to be trucks, Ford Focuses, utility vans and sometimes nothing at all. The really bad thing was not being able to complain about it later, because I'm always the one who loves the cold, the snow, the long nights.....well, it was a long night all right. I'm re-thinking my fantasy of moving to Churchill, Manitoba and becoming a tour guide.

The bus stop where I wait to go home at night is located in a treeless place with no tall buildings. A few nights ago it felt like the windswept plains of the Siberian wasteland, and I was so cold I was hallucinating.

March comes in like a lion and out like a lamb. I'm only guessing that your job doesn't give mandatory drug tests.

It's getting cold out there. Father Winter shows us no mercy.

12 degrees this morning.

In the modern world 12 is positively tropical. Or did you receive 12 degrees through the post from some Nigerian based internet site? If that's on the Kelvin scale then you're more than likely dead.

I'm taking back anything I have ever said about my love of snow. We've had snow almost every day since 17th December and I am thoroughly sick of it. It freezes at nighttime (current temperature - minus 8 degrees celcius) and then snows on the frozen stuff the next day :) . It's a constant battle just to keep upright on my daily travels to the shops. I heard today that the south of Scotland has run out of grit, so God knows what the roads will be like on Tuesday when I return to work.

I'm taking back anything I have ever said about my love of snow. We've had snow almost every day since 17th December and I am thoroughly sick of it. It freezes at nighttime (current temperature - minus 8 degrees celcius) and then snows on the frozen stuff the next day :) . It's a constant battle just to keep upright on my daily travels to the shops. I heard today that the south of Scotland has run out of grit, so God knows what the roads will be like on Tuesday when I return to work.

Good luck! I've just returned from the tropical deep south back to the white winterland I left just over a week ago, unfortunately the heating is still broken. Luckily I live in town and the footpaths (well those from the train station to chez moi) were dry and provided friction.

Please Lady G. don't complain about the snow! You're in Scotland, its supposed to snow in winter. Besides which, down here in the south, the soft southerners (I'm a midlander, I can call them that) are still complaining about the snow and ice we had over a fortnight ago, which lasted all of 3 days. Honestly, to hear some of them you'd think they were going out and would be some time!

Mind you, it is a bit nippy.

Another frozen week here. It should warm on Wednesday all the way to 35F or 36F wth wind but by Saturday back down to the arctic blast.

minus 12c this morning, well, thats what the temperature thingy in my car read. FFS more snow expected. I'm getting fed up scraping this fekin global warming off my windscreen every morning :)

minus 12c this morning, well, thats what the temperature thingy in my car read. FFS more snow expected. I'm getting fed up scraping this fekin global warming off my windscreen every morning :)

Global warming, meaning warming on a global scale may not result in local warming for some areas.

As the Gulf stream is warmed, its flow is altered, meaning that the UK might not get its previous current of "warm" water to help keep things as they used to be.

Look at the UK's latitude on a map or globe and compare its usual mean temps with other locations of a similar northern latitude. They're more like what the temperature would/should be like without the gulf stream.

If you don't like snow now, you'd better start to, 'cause there's more coming. But then again, if you're a climate change skeptic then there's nothing to worry about, 'cause none of this is happening.

Please Lady G. don't complain about the snow! You're in Scotland, its supposed to snow in winter. Besides which, down here in the south, the soft southerners (I'm a midlander, I can call them that) are still complaining about the snow and ice we had over a fortnight ago, which lasted all of 3 days. Honestly, to hear some of them you'd think they were going out and would be some time!

That's a bit of a misconception time, only the north of Scotland is prone to snow, just ask Windsor, the rest of the country rarely gets snow and it usually only lasts a few days at most. I've never seen anything like this before, 2 1/2 weeks of snow so far and more on the way. It doesn't look like I'll be going to work tomorrow, my boss has been in contact to insist that none of us attempt to travel in if the weather, as predicted, worsens. Most of my colleagues have been snowed in too over the festive period, one got stuck in her car in the early hours of New Year's Day and had to be rescued by the police, so if there is a snowfall tonight I doubt any of us will be travelling tomorrow. Just as well I have plenty of Xmas books, chocolate and malt whisky to see me through being snowed in :) .

Global warming, meaning warming on a global scale may not result in local warming for some areas.

As the Gulf stream is warmed, its flow is altered, meaning that the UK might not get its previous current of "warm" water to help keep things as they used to be.

Look at the UK's latitude on a map or globe and compare its usual mean temps with other locations of a similar northern latitude. They're more like what the temperature would/should be like without the gulf stream.

If you don't like snow now, you'd better start to, 'cause there's more coming. But then again, if you're a climate change skeptic then there's nothing to worry about, 'cause none of this is happening.

Monoclinic likes this.

That's a bit of a misconception time, only the north of Scotland is prone to snow, just ask Windsor, the rest of the country rarely gets snow and it usually only lasts a few days at most. I've never seen anything like this before, 2 1/2 weeks of snow so far and more on the way. It doesn't look like I'll be going to work tomorrow, my boss has been in contact to insist that none of us attempt to travel in if the weather, as predicted, worsens. Most of my colleagues have been snowed in too over the festive period, one got stuck in her car in the early hours of New Year's Day and had to be rescued by the police, so if there is a snowfall tonight I doubt any of us will be travelling tomorrow. Just as well I have plenty of Xmas books, chocolate and malt whisky to see me through being snowed in :P .

Sorry, didn't mean to be quite so glib. As you might have noticed I was getting a teensy bit peed-off with my colleagues/customers who think that the (comparitively) little snow we've had here, was akin to some global catastrophe.

I sympathise, having been snowed-in for several days in the outskirts of Sheffield in the winter of 78/79 (during a council workforce strike too), I can appreciate that its not all a barrel of laughs once the novelty has worn off.

Hope things improve, or at least don't get any worse. Enjoy the chocolate and whisky! :)

That's a bit of a misconception time, only the north of Scotland is prone to snow, just ask Windsor, the rest of the country rarely gets snow and it usually only lasts a few days at most. I've never seen anything like this before, 2 1/2 weeks of snow so far and more on the way. It doesn't look like I'll be going to work tomorrow, my boss has been in contact to insist that none of us attempt to travel in if the weather, as predicted, worsens. Most of my colleagues have been snowed in too over the festive period, one got stuck in her car in the early hours of New Year's Day and had to be rescued by the police, so if there is a snowfall tonight I doubt any of us will be travelling tomorrow. Just as well I have plenty of Xmas books, chocolate and malt whisky to see me through being snowed in :D .

Sorry, didn't mean to be quite so glib. As you might have noticed I was getting a teensy bit peed-off with my colleagues/customers who think that the (comparitively) little snow we've had here, was akin to some global catastrophe.

I sympathise, having been snowed-in for several days in the outskirts of Sheffield in the winter of 78/79 (during a council workforce strike too), I can appreciate that its not all a barrel of laughs once the novelty has worn off.

Hope things improve, or at least don't get any worse. Enjoy the chocolate and whisky! <_<

No need to apologise at all time, I took no offence . I can imagine that it would piss you off a bit at the south's reaction to snow. I'm afraid being a Glasgwegian I react a bit like them :blush: , we just don't get snow in the west of Scotland and Glasgow grinds to a halt when it occasionally hits. The Borders are more used to it but even they've been taken by surprise this time. In a reversal of roles I've found that down here they can't cope with rain, most Borderers are horrified that I don't carry an umbrella, rain hat etc or seek shelter, rain is the norm for Glasgow and I've found out from many years of experience that I am waterproof!

I will enjoy the chocolate and whisky, thankyou :) .

minus 12c this morning, well, thats what the temperature thingy in my car read. FFS more snow expected. I'm getting fed up scraping this fekin global warming off my windscreen every morning <_<

Monoclinic likes this.

Monoclinic will love this then...

"Around 12,800 years ago the northern hemisphere was hit by the Younger Dryas mini ice age, or "Big Freeze". It was triggered by the slowdown of the Gulf Stream, led to the decline of the Clovis culture in North America, and lasted around 1300 years."

Taken from a New Scientist article here.

To paraphrase; It took less than 12 months for Europe to freeze solid around 12,800 years ago due to a slowdown of the Gulf Stream. The freeze lasted for 1,300 years.

But then again, if you're a climate change skeptic then there's nothing to worry about, 'cause that didn't happen.

"Around 12,800 years ago the northern hemisphere was hit by the Younger Dryas mini ice age, or "Big Freeze". It was triggered by the slowdown of the Gulf Stream, led to the decline of the Clovis culture in North America, and lasted around 1300 years."

To paraphrase; It took less than 12 months for Europe to freeze solid around 12,800 years ago due to a slowdown of the Gulf Stream. The freeze lasted for 1,300 years.

But then again, if you're a climate change skeptic then there's nothing to worry about, 'cause that didn't happen.

Even as a sceptic I believe it happened, our climate has always been subject to changes. But I am not convinced that the current changes (either warmer or cooler) are caused entirely by man. I am prepared to change my opinion on that, I just don't currently believe the science; there are too many hidden agendas.

However, even if I am convinced of man's culpability, I also believe that it is unstoppable and that we should be prepared for change, not throw trillions of pounds / dollars attempting to stop it.

Incidentally, I'd never heard of the Clovis culture before and have had a little read, fascinating.

DeathList.... Not just entertainment but an education

My brother used to have two goldfish called Claus and Clovis.

Even as a sceptic I believe it happened, our climate has always been subject to changes.

Of course climate has changed, is changing and will change. Denying that borders on the insane. An argument can be made that we wouldn't be here discussing climate change if it had never happened. It has probably been climate change that forced our ape-like ancestors to leave the woods and start an evolutionary line towards bipedalism, large brains, language and extended tool use (not necessarily in that order).

But I am not convinced that the current changes (either warmer or cooler) are caused entirely by man. I am prepared to change my opinion on that, I just don't currently believe the science; there are too many hidden agendas.

I don't dispute that there is currently a strong trend towards global warming. The evidence points towards human production of greenhouse gases as the cause of it. This evidence is, however, not conclusive and the change we are witnessing may have several causes, some man-made, some astronomical, and possibly changes in the Sun's power output play a role.

To give an example of the complexity of this matter: a few years ago I saw a documentary on the Box about a phenomenen called global dimming. This is the result of both man-made (most of it dust and air pullutants) and geophysic agents (volcanoes) and effectively reduces the greenhouse effect. Due to effective measures against global aerosol levels this effect is diminishing, making global warming even worse.

Another thing that isn't quite clear is the effect of global warming on sea levels, a subject I have a personal interest in, since I already live several meters below sea level. If global warming causes melting of land ice, the result will be a rise of sea level of up to fifty meters. However, it's far from certain that global warming will cause all land ice to melt. The largest chunk of land ice lies on the Antactic. If global warming causes more snow to fall there, this may well result in a larger amount of ice stored on the Antarctic and a net lowering of sea level. We simply don't know enough of these things to make accurate predictions.

However, even if I am convinced of man's culpability, I also believe that it is unstoppable and that we should be prepared for change, not throw trillions of pounds / dollars attempting to stop it.

That's an even more difficult subject. In a way, there's little need to do that. If we go on burning oil and gas at the current rate, we'll soon run out of those fuels and increasing price levels will force us to find other sources of energy. Coal will be available for a much longer time, though. This has some interesing results. The UK and the Netherlands may well see their coal mines reopened in the next few decades. Unfortunately, coal is even worse a CO2 source than oil and gas, so we're not out of the woods yet. We'll probably sooner run out of woods.

regards,

Hein

About 6-8 inches of snow in the last hour or so.......... Watch out the south, it's on its way.