About 6-8 inches of snow in the last hour or so.......... Watch out the south, it's on its way.

We're starting to get it here in the Midlands...

• Like 1

Informative discussion

Don't worry, the future is in photosynthesis. It pays my bills yet if I tell you any more, I'd have to kill you <_<

I really need to be careful what I wish for as we now have snow and I made it in to work while two thirds of my colleagues didn't.

No snow here just yet, but it is forecast for overnight and tomorrow. Considering I work a five minute walk from my house, I have no excuse not to be able to get in to work - fortunately I have stinking flu so I do have a good reason to stay at home in my duvet eating After Eights all day. The half-ton of crustified snotty tissue around my bed is keeping me extra warm.

Informative discussion

Don't worry, the future is in photosynthesis. It pays my bills yet if I tell you any more, I'd have to kill you <_<

Please tell us more. I'm really interested in photosynthesis. Could it be changed if chlorophyll were genetically engineered (could clorophyll be genetically engineered?) to be less green? If, for instance, plants could be engineered to absorb light across the full spectrum, would that make them white? If it did would that help reflect sunlight, thus counteracting global warming? I'm sure this is a dumb proposition but I would appreciate some informed analysis of the dumbness.

Informative discussion

Please tell us more. I'm really interested in photosynthesis. Could it be changed if chlorophyll were genetically engineered (could clorophyll be genetically engineered?) to be less green? If, for instance, plants could be engineered to absorb light across the full spectrum, would that make them white? If it did would that help reflect sunlight, thus counteracting global warming? I'm sure this is a dumb proposition but I would appreciate some informed analysis of the dumbness.

Absorbing more light would make them black. White would suggest they absorbed nothing.

[which, incidentally also accounts for why black coffee is hotter than white coffee, and Jennifer Lopez (JLo) is hotter than Susan Boyle (SBo)]

Informative discussion

Absorbing more light would make them black. White would suggest they absorbed nothing.

[which, incidentally also accounts for why black coffee is hotter than white coffee, and Jennifer Lopez (JLo) is hotter than Susan Boyle (SBo)]

Isn't it the milk that does that?

Informative discussion

Isn't it the milk that does that?

[tongue firmly in cheek]

No, I don't think milk would account for the difference between JLo and SBo.

[/tongue firmly in cheek]

All I know is that we had a white Christmas in Texas. First time in 80 years.

It's also going to be damn cold this weekend.

Well, while most of the country is waking up to snow this morning I've just woken up to rain. It does look a bit icy and the buses are not running in some areas, but on the whole, I think we've got off light in this neck of the wwods.

I like the snippet they're running on BBC local news from a driver, 'Andy', who claims stranded drivers have turned their lights off and are just 'chilling'!

Update: The snow has started!

However, even if I am convinced of man's culpability, I also believe that it is unstoppable and that we should be prepared for change, not throw trillions of pounds / dollars attempting to stop it.

That's an even more difficult subject. In a way, there's little need to do that. If we go on burning oil and gas at the current rate, we'll soon run out of those fuels and increasing price levels will force us to find other sources of energy. Coal will be available for a much longer time, though. This has some interesing results. The UK and the Netherlands may well see their coal mines reopened in the next few decades. Unfortunately, coal is even worse a CO2 source than oil and gas, so we're not out of the woods yet. We'll probably sooner run out of woods.

regards,

Hein

So the answer, as always and within mankind's current technological know how, is unclear nuclear. Shame that supplies of uranium-235 are in doubt.

Ive had to work out in all this shite. Icicles on my testicles, snow building up on top of my woolly hat as I battle to open underground boxes in the street that have been welded to the pavement with ice.....do you hear me complaining?

Fucking right you do!!!

A bigger bunch of malingering, soft poor excuses for humans, I have yet to meet.

A bit of snow and " Oh I cant get into the office today" bollocks.

"Oh, the roads have got snow on them!" which actually translates to " Im a complete fuck weasel, I cant drive in good weather so I will actually now drive slower than Dale Winton walks on ice with an egg placed between his arse cheeks.

Its talked about as if its the worst weather we have ever had, forgeting the winters of 1963 and 1947 and even further back a century or two when the Thames froze over and markets were held on it complete with bonfires to keep people warm!!

The Government will use it as yet another excuse to fuck us all up the arse with taxes on anything that they can get away with in the name of Green and Global warming and, give it another few years, we will have another winter of a similar magnitude and we wont fucking cope with that either!!

The people who man our offices were allowed to go home early due to the poor weather but us engineers still had to battle through roads that arent even B roads to try and get people working.

Amazingly enough, Ive managed to get to work on time, get home on time and not die of hypothermia....... :(

Its pathetic.

Ive had to work out in all this shite. Icicles on my testicles, snow building up on top of my woolly hat as I battle to open underground boxes in the street that have been welded to the pavement with ice.....do you hear me complaining?

Fucking right you do!!!

A bigger bunch of malingering, soft poor excuses for humans, I have yet to meet.

"Oh, the roads have got snow on them!" which actually translates to " Im a complete fuck weasel, I cant drive in good weather so I will actually now drive slower than Dale Winton walks on ice with an egg placed between his arse cheeks.

Its talked about as if its the worst weather we have ever had, forgeting the winters of 1963 and 1947 and even further back a century or two when the Thames froze over and markets were held on it complete with bonfires to keep people warm!!

The Government will use it as yet another excuse to fuck us all up the arse with taxes on anything that they can get away with in the name of Green and Global warming and, give it another few years, we will have another winter of a similar magnitude and we wont fucking cope with that either!!

The people who man our offices were allowed to go home early due to the poor weather but us engineers still had to battle through roads that arent even B roads to try and get people working.

Amazingly enough, Ive managed to get to work on time, get home on time and not die of hypothermia....... :(

Its pathetic.

Yeh, yeh, and don't forget you used to have to wear cornflakes packets for shoes and brush your teeth with soot...

Welcome back :)

I wasn't alive in 1947 - or 1963 for that matter - so I don't give a fuck how cold it was then. It's fucking cold now! And I've worked all my scheduled hours (well, apart from the two days off because of man-death-flu-syndrome - I actually drowned to death in my own snot). And I drove to Tesco without crashing and I'm a woman, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Fucking right you do!!!

Amazingly enough, Ive managed to get to work on time, get home on time and not die of hypothermia....... :)

Its pathetic.

Yeh, yeh, and don't forget you used to have to wear cornflakes packets for shoes and brush your teeth with soot...

Welcome back :lol:

I wasn't alive in 1947 - or 1963 for that matter - so I don't give a fuck how cold it was then. It's fucking cold now! And I've worked all my scheduled hours (well, apart from the two days off because of man-death-flu-syndrome - I actually drowned to death in my own snot). And I drove to Tesco without crashing and I'm a woman, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

Welcome back?!

As subtle as ever, eh? Bastard.

You are right tho, you were not born in 1963, you were born a decade or so later which makes you a young pup and, therefore, inexperienced in severe weather matters.

When I want your opinion, I shall give it to you :lol:

Leave it to old gits like me. :(

Fucking right you do!!!

I snipped the rest of this wonderful rant for brevity.

I just returned from a bit of shopping. It's not particular cold in Rotterdam (2 below freezing) but a force 6 wind and some light snow makes it uncomfortable, especially as I went by bicycle.

Gods, what a lot of whining did I hear in the shop. If you don't like it, move to Equador, or summat. Or just shut up and wait a few years, if we're to believe the climate alarmists.

In other news: people (the non-whining part) are skating on the local canals. I think I'll get my skates out of the cupboard tomorrow.

regards,

Hein

Apart from the hassle of commuting I've enjoyed the weather so far although it is now beginning to thaw....

Problems at home are with our propane gas supply. It's running out and they cannot get out to my little village to fill us up. So to conserve gas for cooking the heating is off and although the wood burning stove is running at full chat it can barely keep the sitting room warm.

Roll on spring and a bit of global warming.

This is stolen from another forum.

The Diary of A Devonian Living in Inverness.

DEC 18th

It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first we've seen for years. The wife and I took out our hot toddies and sat on the porch watching the fluffy soft flakes drift gently down clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It's so beautiful and peaceful.

DEC 20th

We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white glistening snow covering as far as the eye could see. What a fantastic sight, every tree and bush covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shovelled snow for the first time ever and loved it. I did both our driveway and the pavement. Later that day a snowplough came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shovelled it away again. The children next door built a snowman with coal for eyes and a carrot for a nose, and had a snowball fight, a couple just missed me and hit the car so I threw a couple back and joined in their fun.

DEC 25th

Christmas Day. It snowed an additional 5 inches last night and the temperature dropped to around minus 8 degrees. Several branches on our trees and bushes snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shovelled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards the snowplough came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is now a brownish - grey.

DEC 31st

New Year's Eve. Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tyres for the car £500. Fell on my arse in the driveway. £100 to a physio but nothing was broken.

JAN 1st

New Year's Day. Still cold.

Had another 8 inches of the white sh*te last night. Car covered in salt and iced up slush

. That bastard snowplough came by twice today. Where's that bloody shovel.

JAN 3rd

More f*cking snow. Not a tree or bush on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a paraffin heater which tipped over and nearly torched the house. I managed to put the flames out but suffered burns on my hands. Lost all my eye brows and eyelashes. Car hit a f*cking deer on the way to casualty and was written off.

JAN 4th

That f*cking bastard white sh*te just keeps on coming down. Have to put on every article of clothing just to go to the post box. The little ***** next door ambushed me with snowballs on the way back - I'll shove that carrot so far up the little pricks arse it'll take a good surgeon 6 hours to find it. If I ever catch that f*ckpig that drives the snowplough I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart with my teeth. I think the bastard hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shovelling and then he accelerates down the street like Michael 'f*cking' Schumacher and buries the f*cking driveway again.

JAN 10th

16 more sodding inches of f*cking snow and f*cking ice and f*cking sleet and god knows what other white sh*te fell last night. I am in court in 3 months time for assaulting the snowplough driver with an ice - pick.

Can't move my f*cking toes or my tw*tting fingers. Haven't seen the sun for 5 bastard weeks. Minus 20 and more f*cking snow forecast.

F*CK this, I'm moving back to Devon.

:rolleyes:

I've been following with interest your northern weather woes and can sympathise somewhat, the temperature dropped below 30 degrees (celcius) last night, I nearly put a jacket on.

It's hard work living in the tropics.

I've been following with interest your northern weather woes and can sympathise somewhat, the temperature dropped below 30 degrees (celcius) last night, I nearly put a jacket on.

Bastard!!

Well, the snow is rapidly disappearing now, probably because its been raining all fucking day!!!! :)

Two days off of work and a 30 year old car that needs some bits and bobs and I cant do sod all......

Gunjaman, Im sure the weather is dandy down there, however, your turn will come.

Im not a vengeful bastard, I just live in hope! :o

Yours

A jealous LFN.

I'm sure that when your droughts come, you will be jealous of our flash floods. :)

It's 53F (12C) here at the moment. Raining. Crappy. This is the wonderful view out of the hospital window:

0114001503.jpg

Total ick. Matches my mood.

It's 53F (12C) here at the moment. Raining. Crappy. This is the wonderful view out of the hospital window

Total ick. Matches my mood.

Imagine that scene every day. Welcome to Britain.

Amazingly enough, Ive managed to get to work on time, get home on time and not die of hypothermia....... :rolleyes:

Its pathetic.

Lucky you! I know that plenty of people would have used the snow as an excuse not to go to work, but I would have needed a team of huskies and a sledge to get to mine. My town was cut off, 4x4 vehicles were able to get through after 3 days, but the roads only reopened to cars and public transport after 5 days. Emergency medical cases were taken out by helicopter, the shops ran out of essentials and, most worryingly for me, they nearly ran out of cigarettes :banghead: . To cap it all my internet service provider was taken over by TalkTalk and I lost my internet connection for 9 days, I now know the true meaning of the words 'stir crazy'.

Ummm, no. This is why I don't live in Seattle, either, despite the fact that it has coffeehouses on every block. Most of the days here in Texas are bright and sunny (and freaking hot) and I like it that way.

It's a little warmer today - 56F/15C - and still overcast, but at least it's dry. I can see my car from here! lol

0115001425.jpg

Ummm, no. This is why I don't live in Seattle, either, despite the fact that it has coffeehouses on every block. Most of the days here in Texas are bright and sunny (and freaking hot) and I like it that way.

It's a little warmer today - 56F/15C - and still overcast, but at least it's dry. I can see my car from here! lol

0115001425.jpg

Bloody hell, a Hospital car park that isnt full!!

Over here, that picture would have captured a whole plethora of cars going round and round and round and round and....

I take it you dont have to sell your left kidney to pay for the parking space either?

Oh, CA, nearly forgot. I hope your car is that white 1960s Ford (Falcon?) say yes, dont let me down!!

LG I should have started my rant with..."This applies to everywhere, except Scotland.." :rolleyes:

I quite understand the terror of running out of ciggies, however, I trust your bucket was still kept full of wine.