1 hour ago, msc said:

Weather was about 3 degrees at night most this week, but expected to become Four,  Tops, by weekend.

• Haha 1

_100151206_metweather2.jpg

Don't eat any, whatever you do.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Toast said:

Don't eat any, whatever you do.

Not often you see a yellow warning telling you "Some rural communities could become cut off. Power cuts may also occur and other services, such as mobile phones may be affected". That's an Amber/Red warning in waiting and will be upgraded later in the weekend early into next week. Only reason it's only yellow is because of how far away the event is in weather terms (on the edge of high confidence). Also fully expected snow and ice warnings to be released for over areas by Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday based on current chart output, the usual "subject to change" caveat applies. 

The government has issued a Level 3 Cold Weather Alert for NHS and other care organisations, government bodies to expect extremely high demand on there services and major effect to provision. The highest level is Level 4 - Cold Weather Alert which would only be used in a state of National Emergency. Weather seen next week has the potential in some areas to be significantly disruptive for a Level 4 alert to be released, however that is unlikely.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Your mileage may vary with snow amounts, but there is potential for blizzards from this set up into the latter part of next week. Keep an eye on your local forecast and top your heating meter up - even without snow it will be very very cold for the UK full stop - never mind this time of year.

31 minutes ago, Toast said:

I understand the joke, however not being an 8 year old, I have higher wit to pleasure myself with. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deathray said:

I understand the joke, however not being an 8 year old, I have higher wit to pleasure myself with. 

ken.jpg

Yellow Warning extended to cover the majority of England and Scotland for Tuesday-Wednesday now, earlier warning area remains for Monday. As with earlier warnings fully expect this to be upgraded to at least Amber, possibly Red in the coming days. 

DWyz3OLXkAAq2Ki.jpg

It is minus 26 degrees C. in Karasjok, Norway right NOW (Inland Northern Norway).

• Sad 1

Won’t happen. Thanks to the leaking nuclear radiation here our snow shield will hold firm.

5AABCF34-52CB-4B12-82F7-F0BA9E71D2F7.png

Sitting out having a cig and throwing a Frisbee for the dug .

Chilly, seasonal.

Meh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2018 at 19:24, Deathray said:

You may have heard the BBC hinting at some colder weather. Their being hesitant about it as it could not materialise, but if what the weather models and some of our best forecasting companies are predicting does materialise it's going to be almost certainly the coldest weather and most widespread snow for five years.

Supposedly we're in for some cold weather towards the back end of the month and into the beginning of next month. Weather charts rarely verify exactly as shown beyond 120 hours however they often verify within the general pattern of all models, and there within what's termed the "semi-reliable" weather model time frame, the country is likely to experience it's coldest March for many many years and it's coldest winter weather for quite a few years. Currently all models are veering towards and easterly flow, meaning Scandinavian and Russian air being channelled over the country. No need for the barbecues, then.

There's more reason to believe this is actually likely to happen with these charts as they come on the back of Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) (this is basically the air above the north pole drastically increasing in temperature) - you may have heard the express or star referring to this in their latest "Snowmaggeden is inbound, buy your shovels and hats" headlines. Well, stopped clocks are right twice a day I suppose. The SSW has been showing to have a casual relationship - roughly 60% - between it happening and cold air in the UK and western Europe.

So what are we potentially looking at. Quite simply, deep cold and the potential for heavy snowfall. So maximum temperatures of between -1 and -5 - and lows much lower than that if the snowfields are in action or "ice days". There is also the potential of heavy snowfall (think in 2010, March 2013 or 1987 terms not BBC frightened cat terms every winter). 

This is not guaranteed to happening - but there's a strong signal it will from all the things weather nuts look at - but it might be worth making sure you've got enough to top your central heating up from mid next week and there's a snow shovel around for the back end of next week. As said further up it can equally fall apart and be a load of mild dross with a slight change in position of the high pressure system (over Greenland) that would open up the floodgates to the cold eastern air. One to watch.

Just for fun here's one of the directions it could go from an ensemble run, the blues and purples are cold weather. The numbers are upper air temperatures (not the ground temperatures, which will be about 9-11 degrees higher but still cold).

IMG_1091.PNG.04374f62ccd5b702a18c757008d67b24.PNG

You were right. Extremely cold in Northern Norway, innland, as well.

Snowing hard again in the S.E and I've been told off for quoting Robert Frost. I hope my children get stuck at school / college overnight. It'll do them a power of good. Builds character.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

Snowing hard again in the S.E and I've been told off for quoting Robert Frost. I hope my children get stuck at school / college overnight. It'll do them a power of good. Builds character.

Fat chance of that happening. The school/college will shut while the roads are still passable to ensure all the staff and children can get home. 

• Like 1

Worth a daydream I suppose :unsure:

Let me know if you want the thread tag changed and I'll do it. 

Need to put the above through a parent translator for Deathray: "She'd like to have a night to herself, for once, so c'mon the snow..." :D

• Haha 2

^^ kens :lol: 

School holidays I'm ↖↗↘↙↩↪ between Gatwick and Inverness.

Going to bed whenever you want to :wub: 

It's a luxury right enough.

The snow has finally arrived. If it carries on like this we'll be snowed-in in about a fortnight.

• Like 2

Great news, its stopped snowing!

Scary 15 minutes for time there.

• Like 2

In the brutal northern wilds of Carlisle about a centimetre of salt has fallen but no snow yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the inhospitable landscape of Glasgow it was a wee bit windy. No sign of snow. Temperature still 3 degrees. I've already made the four Tops joke last week so you're all spared.

Strangely, the council have gritted the pavements. I say strangely because they didn't the other week when it was actually frozen.

• Haha 2

The occasional tiny snowflake landing in our village here in Wales. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Scary 15 minutes for time there.

It was, I had to go out and was worried I wouldn't be able to get back home!

Joking apart, we're not really expecting much until tomorrow/Wednesday, but then again, it doesn't take much to bring the town to a standstill.

Looking forward to more of this...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, time said:

It was, I had to go out and was worried I wouldn't be able to get back home!

Joking apart, we're not really expecting much until tomorrow/Wednesday, but then again, it doesn't take much to bring the town to a standstill.

Looking forward to more of this...

Takes more snow to close Brighton down than Rome.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/26/europe/rome-europe-cold-weather-intl/index.html

We can laugh at another country "not being able to cope with a bit of snow" for a change. To be fair they don't get it three or four times at least every winter. 

Also those complaining this is a bust because they've got no snow yet; there's four more days and the possibility of a genuine blizzard. Patience. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2018 at 16:46, Deathray said:

489884408a83089302608b6d1a191af3.jpg

Milk, soup and bread. Milk, soup and Bread. Get your milk, soup and bread while you can still reach the corner shop.

Done.  Although we do not have a corner shop, indeed no shop of any variety. 

I don't buy soup, so may venture out to the excellent game butcher/farm shop for a smoked ham hock tomorrow.  Make some proper winter warmer soup.

A few flakes of snow fell here on the North Wessex Downs© today.  Otherwise a nice day with some sunshine.