I am predicting that both Gerald Ford and Lady Bird Johnson will pass away in 2005. They are only about 6 monthes apart in age and according to numerous reports in seriously declining health. These 2 deathes will be the end of a remarkable era in American political history.

Henry kissinger is still around though isn't he? He must have been mentioned in despatches before. Might have made a better President than Ford I suppose.

Henry kissinger ............. Might have made a better President than Ford I suppose.

shudder!

Hmmm.. not a big fan I take it? I am a little young to remember the minutiae of 1970s American politics, so I looked HK up on the Wiki ...

"Despite occasional allegations of underhand dealings in foreign countries, he was largely popular with the public and became one of the better liked members of the increasingly unpopular Nixon administration."

He won the 1973 Nobel peace Prize for his work in helping to end the Vietnam War( in which America's involvement was started, let's not forget, by a Democrat President).

He was far and away the intellectual superior of both Ford and Nixon (and Carter).

Of course, being both German-born and Jewish, he would never have been elected. I believe that GracieJC8 is our resident expert on matters American, I would be interested to hear her/his views on the old boy (82 in May).

Of course, being both German-born and Jewish, he would never have been elected.

ISTR the US Constitution forbids presidents of foreign birth, which would make Kissinger ineligible.

regards,

Hein

Hmmm.. not a big fan I take it? I am a little young to remember the minutiae of 1970s American politics, so I looked HK up on the Wiki ...

"Despite occasional allegations of underhand dealings in foreign countries, he was largely popular with the public and became one of the better liked members of the increasingly unpopular Nixon administration."

He won the 1973 Nobel peace Prize for his work in helping to end the Vietnam War( in which America's involvement was started, let's not forget, by a Democrat President).

He was far and away the intellectual superior of both Ford and Nixon (and Carter).

Of course, being both German-born and Jewish, he would never have been elected. I believe that GracieJC8 is our resident expert on matters American, I would be interested to hear her/his views on the old boy (82 in May).

To quote Tom Lehrer (US satirist)...

"Political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize"

He was awarded the 1973 Nobel Peace Prize along with Le Duc Tho of Vietnam,

for his work on the Vietnam peace accords. Kissinger and Nixon had come to

office in 1968 on a promise of a quick end to the Vietnam War, but the

intervening years saw an escalation in conflict as well as its extension to

an illegal bombing campaign (overseen by Kissinger) in Laos and Cambodia.

Tho refused the prize rather than share it with Kissinger.

Of course, being both German-born and Jewish, he would never have been elected.

ISTR the US Constitution forbids presidents of foreign birth, which would make Kissinger ineligible.

regards,

Hein

Whereas war criminals are perfectly eligible, and in fact preferred.

Henry kissinger ............. Might have made a better President than Ford I suppose.

shudder!

Henry Kissinger's policies created enough bloodshed in Latin America without him even being President. I shudder to think how much worse it would have been with him having a seat in the Oval office.

Guest Guest

Amen! Kissinger, Nixon, and all that crowd were a total disaster for our country.In fact I think Henry Kissinger should be a possibility for 2006 Death List. You know he had a heart attack a couple of years ago.

Guest Death List Watcher

It should be fairly obvious that with his apparent failure to attend the ski event and other recent events, that Gerald Ford is in deteriorating health. Yet I can find nothing on any news site or the Ford Library site to either confirm or deny this speculation.

Guest funeral director

Everyone is talking about Gerald Ford's disappearing from the public eye. But what about Betty Ford? If the former president is in fact in failing health,she has not been to any events in her husband's place like Nancy Reagan did (e.g. library openings, Republican conventions, etc.) I know the old gal in in her late eighties, but I figured she was in pretty good health still. It makes you wonder if he is so bad now that she's afraid to leave his side or if Betty is failing as well.

Cerebus mentioned wanting to hear my take on Kissinger. I must admit I haven't thought too much about him. I believe we'll see Kissinger pass on in the next couple of years. It seems the old Nixon loyalists are dying off pretty rapidly in the last few years. I recall seeing in the news that Kissinger suffered a mild heart attack 2-3 years ago. I believe he should be on the 2006 list along with Earl Butz b. 1909. For those of you who don't know Butz was Agriculture Secretary in the Nixon-Ford years. He became rather infamous in 1976 when Ford asked him to resign after the uproar he caused by making a joke about African Americans aboard a plane while campaigning for Ford/Dole. The person who leaked the info was none other than John Dean who happened to be sitting with Butz (along with singer Pat Boone) when he made the statement. Yeah I'd say Butz and Kissinger are prime candidates to be on the '06 list.

Guest gop rocks
ive been told by people in republican circles that gerald ford is declinining rapidly and can no longer walk or speak..theyre worried that he may get pneumonia which would probnbably kill him so hes not allowed to leave his bed.

That is pretty strong stuff. I am just curious where exactly this info came from and how credible it is. To my knowledge no one has seen read, read, nor heard of that info in the media recently. I just know Ford was hospitalized briefly in CA in Jan '05 for a yearly checkup. Anyone have thoughts?

Guest Death List Observer

Former President Ford released an eloquent statement today upon the death of His Holiness Pope John Paul II.

Former President Ford released an eloquent statement today upon the death of His Holiness Pope John Paul II.

I did read that statement on the net and it was very nice. But the Pope himself was still making public statements on Terri Schiavo and Prince Rainier until the last few days of his life.

Guest death list watcher

True True. With the Pope gone now, Gerald Ford has the most postings of any other living name on Deathlist. I suspect the media will start to focus in on him more now. After all he is our oldest living ex president.

Guest LilMimi

Ford's not going to the Pope's funeral! Yet another major event, the old dude will be missing!

Guest funeral director

Ford's not going to the Pope's funeral! Yet another major event, the old dude will be missing!

Well naturally he's not going. He's almost 92 and apparently quite frail!

Guest funeral director

I think maybe you've missed the point of this forum.

He's still alive >_>

Guest exprez

He's still alive >_>

CNN reported today that Clinton and the Bushs (41 and 43) viewed the Pope's body. Jimmy Carter wasn't invited even though he was president when John Paul became Pope in 1978! And our friend Gerald Ford? Well the "only other living ex president who is 91 lives in California and is in frail health". So the media is begining I think to delve into Ford's health situation whatever that situation is.

Jimmy Carter wasn't invited even though he was president when John Paul became Pope in 1978! And our friend Gerald Ford? Well the "only other living ex president who is 91 lives in California and is in frail health". So the media is begining I think to delve into Ford's health situation whatever that situation is.

I definitely agree with you. The media is actually reporting that he is in frail health and the article below cited it as the reason why he did not travel to Italy to attend the funeral of Pope John Paul II.

Bush, U.S. delegation, pay respects to John Paul II

Former Presidents Jimmy Carter and Gerald Ford were not among the delegation.

Ford, 91, is in frail health. Carter considered coming but declined, according to his aides.

Guest One Man Jury
the article below cited it as the reason why he did not travel to Italy to attend the funeral of Pope John Paul II.

I'd say this is wrong.

They were terrified he'd do his old party trick and fall down the stairs while getting off the plane in Rome so reducing a solumn occasion to one of farce.