Only a few of the members here live in the US. US politics is foreign politics for most of us. I'm certain the average DL'er has better knowledge of US politics than the average USAian of European politics.
Please accept my apologies for assuming the posts were from the United States. I overlooked the fact that the web is a world wide phenomenon.

No problem.

You are correct that many outside the US probably know more about US politics than many Americans.

I don't claim to have much knowledge of US politics. I did study the US constitution and US foreign politics have enough consequences in my country to keep my attention fresh. My knowledge of US domestic politics, especially below federal level, is appaling, which doesn't prevent me from having a strong opinion about them, of course. :(

I'm afraid, however that may be all we agree on. I am a conservative American who voted for---and still supports---the policies of President Bush, so I suspect there may be a different viewpoint from many who visit this site.

That's fine. I don't mind a political discussion or two, as long as it doesn't become a pissing contest. Differences of opinion keep a discussion interesting.

regards,

Hein

...and finally:

The Death of Gerald Ford

:banghead:

not really that funny was it? i feel like i just wasted 5 minutes of my life...

I thought it was quite amusing, but then again, different strokes for different folks.

Former President Gerald Ford is reportedly very frail and is now recieving hospice care at his California home. Reports say that he only has a few short weeks to live.

I just googled "Gerald Ford" in the google news search engine and nothing came up, the last he was in the news for anything was when he beat Reagan's longevity record. So if you can share your source it would be appreciated otherwise this is a site where alot of people just say things like that. However what you said is believable given what we know about Gerald Ford's health and recent elusivness. Minus the part about him having a few weeks to live which would just be tabloid speculation (but still always possible) it wouldnt surprise me in the least if he is under hospice care.

It would suck to pass away right before, during or right after Christmas, Harry Truman died on December 26, 1972 and actually the holidays are a common time for people to die, if he dies between December 27-31 he will beat Truman's record of dying latest in the calendar year. I also kind of have this obsessive compulsive thing with people dying earlier in the year than their birthday, thus if you read on a tombstone 1913-2006 it means the person was 93, if Ford dies in 2007 he would have to live until at least July 14 to say he was 94.

Considering I wrote this less than three days before his death and this was the last post before someone announcing that he had died I must be some sort of prophet. Actually much more creepy than this is what I posted in the Lady Bird Johnson thread less than 24 hours before Ford's death:

Given what was said about her recent public apperance and picture of her I say she is in better shape than Gerald Ford, I used to think the opposite. Next year I think she should be ranked lower than Ford, heck I think that Ford is much more likely to croak before this new year's than Lady Bird.

Speaking of former first ladies I strongly feel that Betty Ford should be on next year's list. She was looking rather frail at the funeral events for her husband the past two days and on the news coverage they were saying that she couldnt walk up the stairs of the aircraft carrying her husband's body and had to enter at the back and the same had to be done at the US capital because she couldnt walk the steps. Granted she doesnt appear to be in terrible shape but since her age is very advanced the stress from losing her husband of so long can take its toll. At the very least she should be near the bottom of the 2007 list. Maybe I can use my semi-prophetic comments as some kind of pull? :pop:.

i'm impressed chicago. do it again do it again...

Ok, I will give this a shot, this is just a gut feeling I have and I hinted at it in Carter's and Bush 41's thread. Bush 41 will die in 2008 while his son is still president at 84 from a sudden stroke or heart attack similar to how Nixon went in 1994. Carter will live to about to 90+ and die of old age Gerald Ford style sometime between 2014 and 2018.

Ok, I will give this a shot, this is just a gut feeling I have and I hinted at it in Carter's and Bush 41's thread. Bush 41 will die in 2008 while his son is still president at 84 from a sudden stroke or heart attack similar to how Nixon went in 1994. Carter will live to about to 90+ and die of old age Gerald Ford style sometime between 2014 and 2018.

Predicting but from what? Is this statistical knowledge that you've summed up or just anybodys guess?

I agree and say Jimmy Carter has a few good years. He is the reflection of Gerald Ford, and I would be suprised if he didn't live untill atleast his mid eighties.

Comparison lacks between Nixon and Bush. President Richard Nixon died in 1994, but resigned in 1974 after about five years of presidency. He lived twenty years after his departure. While the term of Bush was (1989 - 1993) - It has only been fourteen years since he was president.

Your predictions in my opinion fall in the catagory of time repeating itself, such a thing might exist. But the second party will always say coincidence, so that is where the debate begins.

Guest Guest

Predicting but from what? Is this statistical knowledge that you've summed up or just anybodys guess?

I agree and say Jimmy Carter has a few good years. He is the reflection of Gerald Ford, and I would be suprised if he didn't live untill atleast his mid eighties.

Comparison lacks between Nixon and Bush. President Richard Nixon died in 1994, but resigned in 1974 after about five years of presidency. He lived twenty years after his departure. While the term of Bush was (1989 - 1993) - It has only been fourteen years since he was president.

Your predictions in my opinion fall in the catagory of time repeating itself, such a thing might exist. But the second party will always say coincidence, so that is where the debate begins.

The Nixon and Bush comparison stems not from the amount of time they have spent out of office but their respective ages. Nixon died at 81, whereas Bush is now 82, will be 83 on June 12th, he is roughly the same age Nixon was when he died of a sudden stroke and Bush is roughly in the same health that Nixon was at 80, i.e. an old man that is showing it but noone expects him to just drop dead. Nixon was active right up until his death, he was on a foreign visit in Russia just one month before his death and was fine by all accounts up until the day of his stroke.

Your right I think its more has to do with history repeating itself, as I said in the other thread not all elderly ex-presidents are going to die the ripe old age way that Gerald Ford did, another president is due to die of some sudden attack. LBJ died of a sudden heart attack, Nixon a few days after a stroke. LBJ had serious heart problems for years that were relatively known, Nixon was having heart problems near the end that werent really known to public much until his stroke. There is more writing on the wall with George H.W. Bush than Jimmy Carter in terms of health, Bush isnt really unhealthy but he has more health problems and shows his age more than Carter.

The Nixon and Bush comparison stems not from the amount of time they have spent out of office but their respective ages. Nixon died at 81, whereas Bush is now 82, will be 83 on June 12th, he is roughly the same age Nixon was when he died of a sudden stroke and Bush is roughly in the same health that Nixon was at 80, i.e. an old man that is showing it but noone expects him to just drop dead. Nixon was active right up until his death, he was on a foreign visit in Russia just one month before his death and was fine by all accounts up until the day of his stroke.

Nixon did have his fatal stroke out of the blue, since I remember once reading that he was infact writing a letter to a friend who was recovering from a stroke, .. talk about couinsidence at it's strongest. I looked through records and the Bush faimly does have some extent of longevity.

Your right I think its more has to do with history repeating itself, as I said in the other thread not all elderly ex-presidents are going to die the ripe old age way that Gerald Ford did, another president is due to die of some sudden attack. LBJ died of a sudden heart attack, Nixon a few days after a stroke. LBJ had serious heart problems for years that were relatively known, Nixon was having heart problems near the end that werent really known to public much until his stroke. There is more writing on the wall with George H.W. Bush than Jimmy Carter in terms of health, Bush isnt really unhealthy but he has more health problems and shows his age more than Carter.

Well Lyndon B Johnson was a heavy smoker for years and he wasn't generally young by the time he dropped dead. George Bush, at eighty years old went sky diving. You can't be at the end and be jumping out of an airplane. Hell I would be f****n shakin to attempt a stunt like that. The writing might be on the wall for Bush, but very blury and sources show his father lived to be seventy eight and his grandfather eighty seven. This is a modern world with advanced technology, you could keep a person alive on a machine. Look at Ariel Sharon. I think Carter has a few more golden years then Bush, but not that many. In reality it's anybodys guess.

Nixon did have his fatal stroke out of the blue, since I remember once reading that he was infact writing a letter to a friend who was recovering from a stroke, .. talk about couinsidence at it's strongest. I looked through records and the Bush faimly does have some extent of longevity.

Well Lyndon B Johnson was a heavy smoker for years and he wasn't generally young by the time he dropped dead. George Bush, at eighty years old went sky diving. You can't be at the end and be jumping out of an airplane. Hell I would be f****n shakin to attempt a stunt like that. The writing might be on the wall for Bush, but very blury and sources show his father lived to be seventy eight and his grandfather eighty seven. This is a modern world with advanced technology, you could keep a person alive on a machine. Look at Ariel Sharon. I think Carter has a few more golden years then Bush, but not that many. In reality it's anybodys guess.

P.S. that last "Guest" post was from me, I just forgot to log in.

The story you mentioned about Nixon is true, he wrote that letter amoung several other things that day, it was actually a fairly productive day for him working at home. He wrote that letter to that stroke victim friend, a final copy of his last book, Beyond Peace arrived that day, he was working on a graduation speech for his grandson's middle school and he was writing a speech for a republican fundraiser for 1994 candidates. He actually had the attack towards the end of the day while relaxing on his porch.

So Nixon was just as active if not moreso than Bush was, Nixon perhaps more intellectually and Bush more physically active. Jimmy Carter's post presidency is actually more similar to Nixon's than Bush's. Both Nixon and Carter spent their post-presidencies very involved in foreign policy whereas Bush was less active, Asian Tsunami notwithstanding. However health wise as of today, Bush is in worse shape than Carter. Just compare Bush in 2004 at Reagan's funeral and skydiving the next day to him at Gerald Ford's funeral a month ago, it was very subtle but he is slowing down. Carter seems to be more stable, he is aging sure but he looks and moves great for his age.

I must say that the way Gerald Ford went was probably amoung the most peacefull of all the presidents, he wasnt assassinated, he didnt die of a sudden acute attack, he didnt die of a long term chronic disease and bedridden for years like Reagan, he didnt die in a hospital, he died at home and on top of it he had the longest life of all the presidents. Sure he had those heart problems his last year but he didnt seem to be suffering or lingering and you have to die of something afterall.

I must say that the way Gerald Ford went was probably amoung the most peacefull of all the presidents, he wasnt assassinated, he didnt die of a sudden acute attack, he didnt die of a long term chronic disease and bedridden for years like Reagan, he didnt die in a hospital, he died at home and on top of it he had the longest life of all the presidents. Sure he had those heart problems his last year but he didnt seem to be suffering or lingering and you have to die of something afterall.

I admit that Ford's passing struck me out of nowhere, I would have never guessed that he would die the day after Christmas, but that's life for you. I think Ford had the easy way out unlike some presidents. I think towards the end of Nixon's life he had the escape and starting over attitude. He may very well be one of the most misunderstood faces ever, and did once say that if he lives again after this life, commentating for sports would be a more peaceful destination. I still think Mark Felt should have came out in May 1994, he would have made more of a name for himself, but I guess when your Deep Throat you have to be out of the spotlight and ninty one. I believe Ford knew his days were very limited about a month before he died, and now that he is gone, other political personalities should take the stage among the eyes whome wish for their demise.

I believe Ford knew his days were very limited about a month before he died, and now that he is gone, other political personalities should take the stage among the eyes whome wish for their demise.

You could tell by the way he worded that statement he released on the day he surpassed Reagan's record, he said he thanked God for every new sunrise or something to that effect, as if every day longer he lived was a blessing.

Anyways I agree that what you said in the second part now that Ford is dead we have to start thinking about other political personalities. In terms of US presidents its not as clear cut who is the next to as in recent years, George H.W. Bush and Jimmy Carter are about the same age but both are fairly healthy. I know what I said about Nixon dying suddenly at 81 but there was still some writing on the wall for him, his wife Pat's death hit him hard and he aged alot after that, I think thats what did him in.

I found this photo of Nixon from March 1994, one month before his death and it will illistrate what I mean:

Nixon, March 1994

Judge for yourself but I think that both Bush and Carter look to be in better shape today than Nixon did then.

On 10/12/2006 at 20:10, Guest Guest said:

Ford will be deathlist hit no 12 for 2006 :)

*no 13

• Confused 2