how is Jimmy Carter anyway? 83 next year...

Carter's two sisters, his brother, and his father died of pancreatic cancer. His mother had pancreatic, bone, and breast cancer when she died as well.

He has had trouble walking in the past as well as having hemorrhoids... could be considered soon?

Peanut poisoning?

Last I heard he was in fairly good health. Didn't he join Bill Clinton and George Bush senior on a do good trip earlier this year? I forget the details but there were three of four ex-presidents meeting to discuss the environment or something, I'm sure Carter was one of them.

Gerald Ford is the 13th hit of 2006.

He is the 150th hit since 1987.

The 2006 deathlist is now in 2nd place out out a possible 20 lists.

So it did turn out to be a big death for our 150th...

Thanks for this, it all makes sense now. I just couldn't work out where Spiro fitted into it all. So spiro resigned BEFORE Nixon. Did he ever hold any office again because I'm sure i read/heard about him doing something in the Carter years. Unless my timeline is very much twisted.

Agnew published his memoirs in 1980 and caused a bit of a stir with the contents. He also ran around spouting anti-Zionist statements in 1976 or 77 or so, so that could have been what you're thinking of.

He died in 1996.

Thanks for this, it all makes sense now. I just couldn't work out where Spiro fitted into it all. So spiro resigned BEFORE Nixon. Did he ever hold any office again because I'm sure i read/heard about him doing something in the Carter years. Unless my timeline is very much twisted.

Agnew published his memoirs in 1980 and caused a bit of a stir with the contents. He also ran around spouting anti-Zionist statements in 1976 or 77 or so, so that could have been what you're thinking of.

He died in 1996.

Yes that is probably what I'm thinking of. Thanks for that. :P

According to my Ouija board

Today a President meets the Lord

Let it be W, the world implored,

No such luck. It's Gerald Ford.

Nixon carked a while ago,

Reagan did as well, you know

Clinton, 2 Bushes or Jimbo,

Who will be the next to go?

He was elected. Maybe not as president but as vice-president. He was voted in and yes the vice-president on the ballot does matter to most people. Its a package deal.

No, president Ford wasn't elected in office. He was appointed vice-president after Spiro Agnew resigned and became president after Nixon did the same.

regards,

Hein

Does that mean that Spiro would have been president if he hadn't resigned? Why did he resign, was it because he knew what Nixon was up to but didn't stop him or because he didn't know and should have realised what was going on? :P

Spiro T. Agnew resigned because of charges of tax evasion.

Listen mate, I've been nothing but civil to you...

Here's a bit of history. When Ford moved into office he wanted ex-Pres Harry Truman's picture in the capitol building. Truman died on Dec 26, 1972. And now Ford dies Dec 26, 2006.

UPDATE:Upon analysis of the 3-4 pages posted since the announcement of his death, and sifting through the useless guest comments, I discovered that Bruno already brought this to our attention.

Surprised me too since I am not often to know these dates so precisely.

Nixon carked a while ago,

Reagan did as well, you know

Clinton, 2 Bushes or Jimbo,

Who will be the next to go?

Hopefully a really dreadfully bad "poet" will be next....draw your own conclusions YIA....

And Xenon - Roe v Wade was a Supreme Court decision, not a presidential decision. Get it right.

Not only that, but it was announced 22nd January 1972, whilst Nixon was President, and Agnew VP. Apparently, given Nixon's strong anti-abortion sentiments, the announcement was delayed until after Nixon's second inauguration on the 20th Jan 72. Incidently, 22nd January 72 was the day Lyndon Johnson, another ex-President, died.

Good Lord Gerald Ford! I'm in New Jersey for a few days on vacation, I don't check Deathlist for a few days and this is what happens. Number 13 of the year. A late Christmas gift. This just shows the year isn't over until it's over, and with Deathlists second best performance ever those who doubted should hang there heads in shame.

Guest GOP Man

And Xenon - Roe v Wade was a Supreme Court decision, not a presidential decision. Get it right.

Not only that, but it was announced 22nd January 1972, whilst Nixon was President, and Agnew VP. Apparently, given Nixon's strong anti-abortion sentiments, the announcement was delayed until after Nixon's second inauguration on the 20th Jan 72. Incidently, 22nd January 72 was the day Lyndon Johnson, another ex-President, died.

You guys on this board are woefully inaccurate in your facts. Richard Nixon's second term did not begin until January 20, 1973, since his re-election took place in November, 1972. Truman died 12/26/72 and Johnson died on Janaury 22, 1973.

In addition, the term "appointed" VP is not entirely accurate. He was nominated by President Nixon, and under provisions of the 25th Amendment, had to be confirmed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate. Ford was confirmed in the Senate by a vote of 92-3 and in the House by a vote of 387-35.

Is there any wonder we don't have informed political discussion in the United States today?

You guys on this board are woefully inaccurate in your facts.

Yes, we are. We all are.

In addition, the term "appointed" VP is not entirely accurate. He was nominated by President Nixon, and under provisions of the 25th Amendment, had to be confirmed by both the House of Representatives and the Senate. Ford was confirmed in the Senate by a vote of 92-3 and in the House by a vote of 387-35.

I don't know how they call it in the US, but I used appointed here in the sense of: non-elected. At least, that what's we call non-elected executive or judicial staff here; there's often some form of parliamentary confirmation part of the appointment. In Europe procedures differ widely, in my country it's the only way. We don't elect judges or local, provicial or state officials. All appointments need consent of appropriate representative bodies.

I see little difference in the way US cabinet staff is appointed and the way Ford got his VP-ship. Whatever you call it, he wasn't elelected in office as VP, and that was the point of my remark.

Is there any wonder we don't have informed political discussion in the United States today?

I don't know, perhaps there isn't. Only a few of the members here live in the US. US politics is foreign politics for most of us. I'm certain the average DL'er has better knowledge of US politics than the average USAian of European politics. But then, what do I know?

regards,

Hein

You guys on this board are woefully inaccurate in your facts. Richard Nixon's second term did not begin until January 20, 1973, since his re-election took place in November, 1972. Truman died 12/26/72 and Johnson died on Janaury 22, 1973.

Mea Culpa - you are right, I am wrong. I should of course have said 1973, and not 1972 :P

Mea Culpa - you are right, I am wrong. I should of course have said 1973, and not 1972 :P

Fret not over it Teddy....with your charm and those handsome suspenders it's an oversight of minor proportion which can be easily overlooked. Besides which, even though the calendar read '1973' there had indeed only been 1972 full years in the A.D. and we were working on year #1973 but it had not yet achieved full life status; so, in a twisted technical way you were/are correct.

I meant the other "W" - or are you president of something?

No, but there is a rumour that Banshees is...

No, but there is a rumour that Banshees is...

And although he claims to be in Jersey right now, it's said he has been spotted on a ranch in Crawford Texas.....with none others than Saddam Hussein and Kurt Waldheim.

The good thing about a Presidential ceremonial funeral is that we get to see how the others are doing - especially former first ladies.

Nancy Reagan is said to be a good friend of Ford's. I remember reading on this site that she is one to keep an eye on. She'll probably be.

It's doubtful that LBJ will bother going.

Now that Gerald has gone, it may be wise to put Betty on for next year - just in case. They were married for almost 60 years. Could be one of those 'broken hearted' deaths we hear so much of.

Gerald Ford might have died a lot earlier, were in not for the brave actions of Oliver Sipple, who prevented an assassination attempt on the President in 1975. In saving Ford's life, Sipple ultimately paid with his own.

Just thought I'd give him a mention.

Gerald Ford might have died a lot earlier, were in not for the brave actions of Oliver Sipple, who prevented an assassination attempt on the President in 1975. In saving Ford's life, Sipple ultimately paid with his own.

Just thought I'd give him a mention.

Yeah - that was sad. Harvey Milk could be a real bastard at times. I never though Ford had anything to do with that - it was the days of militant gay activists in San Francisco who believed no gay individual should keep their sexual orientation private.

That was the second assassination attempt in three weeks on Ford. For someone who was only president for a little while he was quite popular with the crazies.

A moderator reminded me today that if it weren't for Mr.Ford I would have never found Deathlist.

Now looking up ^

- Thank you Gerald.

Guest GOP Man
You guys on this board are woefully inaccurate in your facts.

Yes, we are. We all are.

I don't know how they call it in the US, but I used appointed here in the sense of: non-elected. At least, that what's we call non-elected executive or judicial staff here; there's often some form of parliamentary confirmation part of the appointment. In Europe procedures differ widely, in my country it's the only way. We don't elect judges or local, provicial or state officials. All appointments need consent of appropriate representative bodies.

I see little difference in the way US cabinet staff is appointed and the way Ford got his VP-ship. Whatever you call it, he wasn't elelected in office as VP, and that was the point of my remark.

I don't know, perhaps there isn't. Only a few of the members here live in the US. US politics is foreign politics for most of us. I'm certain the average DL'er has better knowledge of US politics than the average USAian of European politics. But then, what do I know?

regards,

Hein

Please accept my apologies for assuming the posts were from the United States. I overlooked the fact that the web is a world wide phenomenon.

You are correct that many outside the US probably know more about US politics than many Americans. The percentage of the people here who have knowledge of government and politcs here is is appallingly low. Many don't even know who the Vice President is.

I'm afraid, however that may be all we agree on. I am a conservative American who voted for---and still supports---the policies of President Bush, so I suspect there may be a different viewpoint from many who visit this site.

I'm afraid, however that may be all we agree on. I am a conservative American who voted for---and still supports---the policies of President Bush, so I suspect there may be a different viewpoint from many who visit this site.

From many of the Americans who visit this site as well - I wasn't impressed when he was my governor.

If you are interested in the Deathlist, though, we have been known to overlook a multitude of sins. :(