Death in Pixie Boots

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Hello my darlings

Did you know that Alexander Solzhenitsyn was still alive? Well he is. He's 85 and feeling a bit peeky

Death comes to us all wearing Pixie Boots

An interesting suggestion indeed.

There are reports that he suffered "a hypertensive crisis" in Jan 2003. The Guardian later that month descirbes him in "frail health":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/st...,881884,00.html

More promising is an extract from one of his quotations:

"I am of course confident that I will fulfil my tasks as a writer in all circumstances—from my grave even more successfully and more irrefutably than in my lifetime."

Very promising Death in Pixie Boots :P

Eight years in the Gulags,

Four years of exile in Siberia,

Cancer,

Years in America, move back to Russia

Treated last year for high blood pressure.

Is he the reincarnation of Rasputin or is he due to shuffle off soon?

The only thing I remember from a documentary on Rasputin was he was very well endowed (and I'm not talking about an inheritance!) - mind you, the programme was on Channel 5 so I should have expected it really.......

Ra - Ra - Reputation

He was a tough bastard to kill though ...

"Rasputin was led to the cellar and fed poisoned cakes and wine, but these did not affect him. Yusupovsky then shot the monk at point blank range and Rasputin collapsed on the floor. When Yusupov went to tell his fellow conspirators the good news, they sent him back to make sure he had done the job. On returning to inspect the body, Grigory Rasputin suddenly regained consciousness and started to throttle poor Yusupov, who needless to say was completely scared out of his wits. The Prince fled the cellar, screaming for help; when they returned Rasputin was gone. They found him in the yard crawling towards the gate and proceeded to shoot and bludgeon him. They then bound him and tossed him into the river. When Rasputin's body was found, his bonds were broken and his lungs were filled with water, showing that he didn't actually die until he was submerged in the frozen waters."

BBC2 have a documentary on Rasputin this Friday [1/10/04] @ 9 pm (Timewatch), which investigates his death.

The only thing I remember from a documentary on Rasputin was he was very well endowed (and I'm not talking about an inheritance!) - mind you, the programme was on Channel 5 so I should have expected it really.......

Well, the Czarina saw something in her, er, him...

Strange this came up, (cough), I've recently spent a few hours helping my nephew (he's 14, you figure out the "form") prepare a report on Rasputin and was amazed at the revisionist text he was given to study. A quick trip to my bookshelves and we had that sorted out straight away. Still waiting to see his mark, as I promised to raise hell with his teacher if it isn't a fair one. He disputed several things put forth as "history" with citations of even more relevant history.

Guest Guest

Would you be so kind send smth to my e-mail and help me to learn modern English? Please... send me to Girl_of_tomorrow@mail.ru

I'll be very happy if you do that thing. :skull:

I'll be very happy if you do that thing

Anyone got any suggestion for what thing that might be? And what thing a young Russian girl might be able to do that would make various members of this forum very happy?

Guest One Man Jury

Anyone got any suggestion for what thing that might be? And what thing a young Russian girl might be able to do that would make various members of this forum very happy?

Steady on old chap!

Lots of suggestions, but non that I would care for Mrs Josco to read.

And here's me deliberately NOT making "members" prominent, but some people just can't resist.............

I won't tell Mrs Josco if you don't.......

Why hasn't anyone talked about Solzhenitsyn since February? Is it because it he is now assumed to be some kind of immortal? I for one expect to him die before the year is out, he is after all over 85 years old and Russian, so excessive Vodka consumption is a given. It could well be that he gives us a surprise by passing away before the year is out.

Maybe he will even die before Tempus Fugit reaches 1000 posts, although this is of course highly unlikely. B)

Why hasn't anyone talked about Solzhenitsyn since February? Is it because it he is now assumed to be some kind of immortal? I for one expect to him die before the year is out, he is after all over 85 years old and Russian, so excessive Vodka consumption is a given. It could well be that he gives us a surprise by passing away before the year is out.

Maybe he will even die before Tempus Fugit reaches 1000 posts, although this is of course highly unlikely.  :o

I'm surprised you even know who Solzhenitsyn is.

The Gulag Archipelago, one of the funniest books i've ever read.

Why would I not have heard of him? And I doubt that "The Gulag Archipelago" is one of the funniest books you have read. I assume that was sarcasm? :o

The man was namechecked with respect on Radio last night by Ian McCullough, voice and creative genius behind Echo and the Bunnymen. On such evidence I don't think we should assume him so obscure, especially as he was worldwide news in the seventies with regard to his attempts at gaining political asylum. It's just that once he arrived and the world and his dog attempted reading his books the bubble burst pronto. Rather like Steven Hawking's scribbings, a lot of people got to page 30 or so and left the rest unread.

I bought 'One Day in the Life' and 'Gulag Archipeligo' for 10p each from a second hand shop that had crate loads of them.

I bought 'One Day in the Life' and 'Gulag Archipelago' for 10p each from a second hand shop that had crate loads of them.

Co-incedentally, so did I. Got to Page 200-odd of 'Gulag' and haven't even bothered with 'One Day' yet.

I'm sure the mood will take me one drizzly Sunday afternoon in February.

I was getting stuck into the grim descriptions of 'One Day' when my train between Carlisle and Newcastle got stuck in a snowdrift. The relentless freezing cold inside and outside the book was too much to take. I never finished it.

haven't even bothered with 'One Day' yet.

I'm sure the mood will take me one drizzly Sunday afternoon in February.

Sorry to interrupt but, 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich', is a fine book I have read several times and would recommend to anyone :o who likes cold, depressing books. 'The First Circle' however.......

I think the relative quiteness of this thread reflects the fact that maybe ol' Solzy should be taken off the list for next year. He reminds me a lot of Weisenthal... survived what was essentially an extermination camp, toughened up, and then went after the guys who did it to him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him live for many more years, especially since those Russians are (almost) as tought as us Ukrainians. :(

Then again, I don't want to be placed in the same catagory as the guy who suggested taking Yasser Arafat off the 2004 list. Anyone else agree with me though?