73 replies to this topic

#1 Death Star

Death Star

Hatchet man

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 05:27 PM

This thread is the place to discuss Bill Deedes.

#2 Guest_Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse_*

Guest_Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

Conceited prat who thinks he is part of the establishment. Overtired and emotional scribbler of the mediocre kind. Will be remembered by....overtired and emotional journos.......but not for long.

#3 Josco

Josco

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 04:59 PM

Have read the Four Donkeys assessment several times and have tried to think why I disagree with his acerbic comments................... but I can't. Have read many of his articles over the years; they are rather dull.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves".
William Pitt, 1783

Shaw's Principle: "Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."

#4 Larry Pestilence III

Larry Pestilence III

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:51 PM

Have read many of his articles over the years; they are rather dull.

That's a bit harsh on Four Donkeys :shoot2:

#5 Josco

Josco

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • 1854 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:04 AM

Oops, not very good grammar! In my defence your honour, if I had meant to criticise the Four Donkeys I would have written ‘Have read many of their articles over the years; they are rather dull.'

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves".
William Pitt, 1783

Shaw's Principle: "Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will want to use it."

#6 Josco

Josco

I Need To Get A Life!

• Moderators
  • 1854 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:05 AM

And they are not.

William Pitt, 1783

#7 Larry Pestilence III

Larry Pestilence III

Bomber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

:o

#8 Guest_jimmybob_*

Guest_jimmybob_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:21 PM

I think you are dull prats! W.F.Deedes writes many witty and interesting articles. Do not mock this man - he's fought in World War II, been a Cabinet Minister and edited a national newspaper!

#9 Anubis the Jackal

Anubis the Jackal

Twunt Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3114 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:22 PM

So... a cross between Clive Dunn, Janet Street-Porter and Geoffrey Howe...and we aren't allowed to mock.
Rissoles Sir, Rissoles!
Pardon me but I got to run<br />The fact's uncommonly clear<br />I got to find who's now the number one<br />And why my angel eyes ain't here<br /><br />Excuse me while I disappear

#10 Paul Bearer

Paul Bearer

Zombie Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7389 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

So... a cross between Clive Dunn, Janet Street-Porter and Geoffrey Howe

:lol:
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.

#11 Death Watch Beatle

Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:36 AM

Things are looking up (or down depending on your point of view) as Bill has had to cancel an engagement due to illness:

http://www.guardian....1510172,00.html

As links have been known to die after a while, the bare bones of the story are as follows: He was meant to give a reading at a literary festival at Althorp but -

Earl Spencer, a bestselling author himself thanks to his history book Blenheim: Battle for Europe, was also among the featured speakers. He was called on to give his talk twice when Bill Deedes, a former editor of the Daily Telegraph, was forced to cancel because of illness.

This piece was dated June 20 2005 - hope for the DL.

DWB :old:

#12 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 03:05 AM

Things are looking up (or down depending on your point of view) as Bill has had to cancel an engagement due to illness:

http://www.guardian....1510172,00.html

As links have been known to die after a while, the bare bones of the story are as follows: He was meant to give a reading at a literary festival at Althorp but -

Earl Spencer, a bestselling author himself thanks to his history book Blenheim: Battle for Europe, was also among the featured speakers. He was called on to give his talk twice when Bill Deedes, a former editor of the Daily Telegraph, was forced to cancel because of illness.

This piece was dated June 20 2005 - hope for the DL.

DWB :dead:

You can take that smile off DWB "He hasen't died yet"

It's been 20 days since this illness and no news of death.
Perhaps he recovered. :referee:

#13 Guest_iain_*

Guest_iain_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

I have info that the former newspaper editor and cabinet minister (and best friend of the late Dennis Thatcher) Lord Bill Deedes is tonight said to be 'fading away' and is very close to death and his demise may be announced any day now.So watch this space!

#14 football_fan

football_fan

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2617 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:55 PM

I have not been able to find any confirmation of this. Can you post a link to your news source?

Regards,

ff
"A jury consists of twelve people who determine which client has the better lawyer". <br />- Robert Frost

#15 Death Watch Beatle

Death Watch Beatle

I Need To Get A Life!

• Members
  • 1596 posts

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:05 PM

I found this tribute to Ted Heath by Bill Deedes:

In his Daily Telegraph tribute, veteran scribe Bill Deedes refers to Heath's famous shyness/diffidence - call it what you will - describing him as "a man of countless kindnesses who would ignore his neighbour at (a dinner) table".

The quote came from here: http://www.megastar....TY4MTM3ODg.html

DWB :huh:

#16 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:07 PM

there will be confirmation when he dies

#17 Windsor

Windsor

LFN Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6518 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

I have info that the former newspaper editor and cabinet minister (and best friend of the late Dennis Thatcher) Lord Bill Deedes is tonight said to be 'fading away' and is very close to death and his demise may be announced any day now.So watch this space!

Two things:

1) This sounds like the Ted Heath announcement with only the names changed.

2) I'm watching the space and nothings happening.

Shadow List 2017

Leah Bracknell, Sir Bruce Forsyth, Buzz Aldrin, Greg Gilbert, Jim Bowen, Billy Graham, Clive James, Glen Campbell, Robert Mugabe, Steve Sumner, Liz Dawn, Donald J. Trump, Olivia de Havilland, Jimmy Snuka, Richard Wilson, Sean Connery, Gerald Kaufman, Pruella Scales, Stephen Hawking, Desmond Tutu, Mario Soares, Duke of Edinburgh, George H. W. Bush, Dick van Dyke, Henry Kissinger, Gordon Banks, Paul Gascoigne, Lady Saltoun of Abernethy, Ian Brady, Valerie Harper, Lord Snowdon, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, King Michael of Romania, Stuart Hall, Eileen Derbyshire, Leslie Phillips, Keith Richards, Hosni Mubarak, Jalal Talabani, Grand Duke Jean, Dame Vera Lynn, Rolf Harris, John Williams, Giorgio Napolitano, Pope Benedict XVI, Jimmy Grieves, Bob Dole, Peter Sallis, Hugh Hefner, Kirk Douglas.​

2009: 13/50, 2010: 10/50, 2011: 9/50, 2012: 15/50, 2013:16/50, 2014: 10/50, 2015: 7/50, 2016: 10/50, 2017: 3/50.

#18 Lady Die

Lady Die

I have no life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2651 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:24 PM

Looks like Ronnie Biggs

http://www.private-e...37/section.look
There were three of us in the morgue so it was rather crowded

#19 maryportfuncity

maryportfuncity

Dedicated Cumbrian Corpse Hound, or summat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15014 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:44 PM

Some of us have been watching this space since July 18th when 'Iain' posted the above. In this time the said space fell to 50th place in this esteemed list and BD continued to breathe, albeit probably in a laboured fashion.

Anyone know how he's doing now?

Maryport is a disappointment for which there is no cure, but the annual Deathrace thread hereabouts provides welcome distraction.maryport2if5.jpg

#20 Banshees Scream

Banshees Scream

Dwarf tosser

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:29 AM

Two things:

1) This sounds like the Ted Heath announcement with only the names changed.

2) I'm watching the space and nothings happening.

Agreed Windsor - It was a day back in July when they said Ted Heath
was fading quickly. Very shortly after, or even that day he did
croak.

Same thing with president Reagon..

It's hard to say how true this hinting message
could really be. Well it saids July 18 and now
it is what? November 15?

It's a complete hoax. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users